Thank you Sir Paul............

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stratclub, Nov 22, 2018.

1. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

No, it wasn't his doing, it was the rest of the world I guess. When asked why he played left handed, his reply was because I am left handed. Really a straight up answer to a stupid question me thinks. Thank you Sir Paul for not making your handedness some sort of mysterious thing.

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

I’m sure that if left hand guitars weren’t around you’d have picked up a right handed and learned to play just as well without a second thought? Not saying they should be banned or are wrong, just can’t see the reason someone built one in tge first place

8barlouie likes this.
  3. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Excuse me for giving an opinion! If it’s ridiculous, please counter with why you can’t buy a left handed saxophone.

Theorage likes this.
  4. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Broccoli and custard anyone?

5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

There were virtually no lefties available when I started. I had to use right handed guitars set up lefty. Which works for Strats and SGs, but not so much for Teles and definitely not for Les Pauls. It never occurred to me to play right handed because it just felt wrong. To answer your question about why lefty guitars were built in the first place, it’s because there were (are) enough lefties just like me who wanted them.

6. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Wonder if some people are ‘more’ left handed than others. Not being sarcastic, just wondering. Somewhere between totally left hande and totally right handed there’a ambidextrous, we all sit somewhere in the spectrum. Might explain why you felt completely wrong playing righty whilst others seemingly cope?

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

True, but I can’t speak for everyone else. I know in my case it felt awkward as all get out. Just imagine if you picked up a lefty guitar and tried to play it lefty. If I made the commitment early on to play right handed, who knows how that would have turned out? It’s not the path I chose.

8. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

See where you’re coming from, but, if the only guitars available were lefties, I’d have had no preconceived ideas and woukd have just learned to play guitar. I find the topic of interest because two of my kids are left handed but not to the same degree. For example, both write left handed but one picked up his brothers plastic scissors when he was very young and we taught him how to use them and he’s used right handed scissors ever since. On the other hand (ooops, unintentional bad pun), my daughter has to have left handed scissors but eats right handed, I.e., knife in right hand. It reall is a deep subject involving far more than the mechanics of using one hand or the other.

9. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

The kind of nonsense I have put up with most of my life. Because of my dad I wasted many years trying to play right handed. Sir Paul explained it pretty accurately. He plays left handed because he is left handed. End of story really.

Why is that so hard to understand? Handedness is an actual thing. If people like you would just accept it the world would be a better place for everybody.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    8barlouie likes this.
  10. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Nope. A sax is not left or right handed. My Sax playing sucks just as much as any not to gifted right handers Sax playing does and it is not because of the handedness of the instrument. A left handed Trumpet or Trombone might make a slight difference though.

8barlouie likes this.
  11. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

@Wrighty mentioned a left handed piano. Now, that would just be absolutely bizarre! If there were such a thing (or any keyboard, for that matter), I think sitting down at one would make my brain explode! Well, maybe "implode" is more correct, given that it would be backwards? :eek: I think it's odd that marching always starts with the left and that it's almost universal that when dealing with anything "left vs right" like stereo pairs, etc, left is almost always considered #1. o_O
    It's A Conspiracy, I Tell Ya! :p
    Gene

12. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Nope, nope, nope such a thing does exist. Where being lefty I'm sure you would take a minute to adapt and then start grinning ear to ear. The piano I inherited from my step mom all though a very fine instrument just sucks because it is backwards.

13. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

I used to be a sax player. Both hands do basically the same thing so there is no right or left. My point was simply that right handed players don't get to make the choice for lefties, yet so many make such a big deal about why there are even left handed guitars out there. There are degrees of left handedness, that's why some can play right handed and others can't. The only way to really tell whether someone should play lefty is to give them a guitar and ask them to hold it as if they were going to play it. The person will hold it in the way that feels most natural, which is the way they should learn in order to become the best player possible, whether that is righty or lefty. I do some things righty, unfortunately playing guitar isn't one of them. Most lefties do some things right handed. I throw left, bat from both sides, although I'm better from the right side, golf right, kick left, shoot left. I can't explain it that's just how I'm wired.

14. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

McCartney, in my humble opinion, is one of the few musical geniuses of the past several hundred years. Just my 2 cents worth.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.