1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thank you Joyo American Sound! (and by proxy Tech21)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by GreatDaneRock, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

So you’re running the AS through the power amp of the frontman? How are you bypassing the preamp of the frontman?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

You can't on that amp (well, without a low level hack of the board). No effects loop.

I run it in front of an amp(s) too. I turn things down quite a bit to keep it from getting too noisy.

3. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

That’s what I thought but he said the fm is now just a power amp, or some such.

PhredE likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I think I was being figurative

I am indeed using the preamp of the Frontman.
    I just basically dialed all the tone controls all the way to 10, and I'm just going to use the American Sound as if it were my amp
    ( also not using any OD pedals, to start; I wanna explore Drive from the AS first- I'm a pretty clean player, even with when using OD)

So all tone control shaping as well as the drive is all coming from the American Sound

If that makes sense, everything sounds great like this so far at home- gig Sunday!

Edit: I am only using the clean channel of Frontman so basically it's providing me with volume and Reverb

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Telecaster88 and Bluego1 like this.
  5. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

In my opinion the AS is not meant to be used as a drive pedal, not unless there's another drive pedal before or after it, stack it.

I wouldn't trust the foot switch on a joyo pedal to last long if you're stomping on it regularly every time you play. Mine is an always-on at the end of a chain, amp in a box if you will. For this intended purpose I keep it as clean as possible with the volume cranked up and the drive at 9 o'clock max.

I not only use said as a direct to PA solution, via DI box, but also to impart a Fender-ish character to some amps that may otherwise not have quite the sound I'm looking for.

YMMV

GDR

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Well in my opinion I'm going to use the pedal for what sounds good, and I very much like what I heard from the pedal trying it out yesterday

If I like the drive that I'm hearing from the American sound then I won't use another pedal with it
    I'm basically looking to get. an amp sound on the verge of overdrive that is controllable from my guitar just like what I do with my real tube amps and a blues driver

On my way to the gig now so we'll report back later

GreatDaneRock and Bluego1 like this.
  7. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Please let us know. I'm curious now if the drive on the AS cleans up with rolling the V down on guitar. I normally only buy OD peals that do.

Best of luck on the gig!

GDR

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Sorry for the voice activation

All very good at the gig today!
    We don't play at a loud level and I don't use a lot of distortion so the American Sound pedal was perfect for what I wanted.

Basically it made my little Fender Frontman amp sound more like a Blackface amp and basically I dialed in just a little bit of moderate grind so maybe around noon on the drive control and the voice control at about 10.
    I just left everything alone and had very nice crystal Clear Tone, yet with a little bit of break up sizzle very much like what you would have heard on say the Eric Clapton Layla album or is first solo album. I played a Srat today.

I use all pickup positions on a Strat, so I can do pretty much anything I want with it-good Blues, rockabilly, R&B, Grateful Dead, Clapton, Allman Brothers, Stones- but nothing with a lot of distortion.( more R&R than Rock for us)

I founded the pedal sounded better with the Voice in the lower Blackface range, and the Drive-up, rather than advance the Voice control just my comfort.

So all good,
    Looking forward to doing the exact same thing next week same gig only with the JOYO British pedal and with and Epiphone SG going for a Blues Breakers/ Allman Brothers kind of a thing which is funny using a little Frontman but I'm expecting the same success with the British pedal as an amp emulator.
    Once again keep it simple no other overdrive involved
    hope I'm making sense

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    GreatDaneRock and doolbon like this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

One more thing the pedal does not have the dynamic clean up that my Blues Driver does,

but this was all about making my amp sound better.
    So it's no big deal because even though The Break-Up doesn't disappear it sounds good at low volume too, when turning the guitar down.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  10. Chiogtr4x

Bumpo
    * just because I edited my last 2 posts ABOVE^^ to be somewhat more intelligible!

11. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

more double pluses for tech21 here.
    before being replaced by the inferior celestions, the speakers that came in the first edition trademark series were amazing but the muckymucks at headquarters kept the manufacturer some kind of state secret lol
    they did finally let me purchase the remaining old stock for $50 each several years ago and a pair still sit in my 2x12 slant cab and are able to handle any amp i've ever punished through them

12. Chiogtr4x

Well I'm gonna flip-flop here but I'm trying to be honest:

I just decided after listening to our live band recording from Sunday gig ( a regular/ low volume fun gig) and then trying the JOYO AS again, at home tonight, that it does not really make my Fender Frontman 25R , Clean, any better than if I were to plug straight in.

And the overdriven sounds are not as good as the OD pedals, that I like with the Frontman.

I just think using the Clean/BF voice it is just redundant to what the Frontman sounds like on its own. I thought I could warm up a SS Fender with it, but not really- and it is a cheap amp. ( but I dig its clarity/power/small size)

So maybe these JOYO 'Character' clones are indeed better for direct recording or into PA - or another amp; just not mine!

** but I had to try!

tanawana likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Ok back with more trial and error and understanding about the American Sound
    ( and now understand earlier comments from some users, thanks!)
    This is what a guitar nut/gigger does on Labor Day

* note: all my BS below relates only to use with my little Frontman 25R, an amp I bought it the Soring for smaller/ quieter but still R&R gigs ( low Gain, but rockin' stuff)

- The JOYO AS does indeed correct my Frontman's inherent 'going direct' tone ( which is bassy on lows, tinkly on highs, light on mids- it does NOT matter where you dial the 3 Tone knobs on the amp.

But the AS emulator indeed tightens up the Bass, and adds some mids- yay!

- My finding with using the JOYO AS is to turn ON, leave ON- put Voice at 9:00-10:00 ( the BF/SF zone), the Driive at 9:00 keep low, Level UP, and 3 band EQ wherever I need for guitar being used.

( Frontman Tone controls are all at NOON and left alone)
    ALL MUCH BETTER!

- the AS ( at least on this amp ) does NOT sound good if I turn Voice knob or Drive knobs up, past where I indicated, into OD/distortion- things just sound farty, fuzzy, bad!!

- so the trick now is to just find the right OD pedal ( I have several) to pair up with the JOYO just as if it were a BF/SF Fender amp and go from there- will probably do this on next weekend gigs as it's just hard to do this in an apartment.

- there is also the possibility of using the Frontman's OD channel ( with no other OD pedal) as the American Sound, ON all the time is making this channel sound better too. ( I have footswitch for channel switching)

Just will see what sounds best- but like to keep all simple

* Bottom line, the AS improved amp EQ and made this clean Fender amp sound more like a clean Fender amp!
    Now to dirty it all up!

Bluego1 likes this.
  14. Mikecito

Mikecito Tele-Meister

Since our band is basically shut down for live shows and we've moved to headphone rehearsal and"go lives", the Joyo AS is a lifesaver. I run wah-ts,9-OCD into the AS then SP compressor on low to simulate sag, then into my delays and verb to the board. Sounds as good as any other bar band recording we've done.
    I've got a Mesa V 35 with cab clone gathering dust.

tanawana and mexicanyella like this.
  15. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

016B8BC7-EDE7-47E2-91CF-E48B16D6AD6E.jpeg I just recorded this little snippet using my Joyo JF-16 British Sound and an iRig 2 into the BandLab app on my phone. I used the JF-16 as the tone shaper for the bass guitar and the lap steel. This is what it sounds like at the clean end of its range using the pictured knob positions.

The bass (Squier Affinity P, chrome flatwound .045-.100, fingerstyle) is not processed at all other than the JF-16. The lap steel got some echo effect added in the app. Plastic chord organ was miked with my phone and drums were software drums from the app which I sequenced.

16. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Not sure what happened to my soundcloud link there...but I really did that^^!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  17. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Interesting thread! I recently upgraded to a Wampler Euphoria Overdrive because I felt the Joyo AS was too fizzy to be a stand alone OD. I'll have to get it back out and see how it stacks with the Wampler. I was able to get some very "Fendery" sounds out of my old Peavey Bandit with this pedal, so I know the tone shaping possibilities are there. Maybe someone could post the settings they use on the JOYO to approximate tweed sounds, blackface sounds, etc.?

18. Chiogtr4x

Hi!
    Just a quick update to my trial and error fun ( at laid back, weekly gig) with my American Sound, in use specifically with my ( new, to me) Fender Frontman 25R

(*My 2 cents only apply to this amp as it is a cheap SS Fender for my small gigs- I like it, but it needs help)

-OK first off, using the American Sound CLEAN, (set on SF/BF range, and low Drive) DEFINITELY IMPROVES what I call the ' EQ balance' of the Frontman, which IMO gets near a clean BF tone, but a bit tinkly and ' going direct' sounding. The AS adds midrange and warms everything up a bit- those 3 Tone knobs work, GOOD!

-Secondly, ( once again just my findings on this amp) the AS sounds TERRIBLE with the Drive knob past 9:00 clock, regardless of where Voice knob is- and Voice knob sounds best at 9-11 clock - so a great Clean tone, even can add some midrange and punch with Mid knob- but best to not get dirt from this pedal.

-So the OD pedal answer for me, was indeed a 'Tube Screamer'! ( to cut lows and highs a bit, therefore making for a more focused midrange)

- I have not had a TS type pedal in many years as my 2 other amps prefer a more transparent ( less mids) OD pedal- so the answer on the cheap ( of course!) was actually the JOYO Vintage Overdrive!

I got it 2 days ago, but did not even try it till on the gig today and sure enough it is a good fit for the American Sound ( Clean ) into the Frontman.
    I'm playing quiet ( but still rockin' ) gigs with an SG and this setup so Drive on ' Tube Screamer' is just enough to work with humbuckers say, from halfway up a cleanish grind, to some nice BB King, to Allmans , Garcia ( with coil-tap) tones when turning- not too much. So good clean tone with AS alone, and good breakup with AS + JOYO 'TS'

Here is how I set both pedals, before my 3 other pedals ( Tuner>Tremolo > Slapback) into Frontman.
    Not bad! JOYO to the rescue!
    20200913_164521.jpg

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  19. themarkjlee

themarkjlee TDPRI Member

I found the AS did a great job of 'Fendering' up my Quilter Micro Block 45. Have since upgraded to a Quilter Pro Block which has more scope for tone shaping. But for a while I had the AS followed by a Mosky Spring reverb pedal into the Micro Block and treated the whole ensemble as a deconstructed amp head. Sounded great, didn't miss a tube amp at all. The only regret is not knowing about it when I was lugging a 2x12 Deville around 20+ festivals in a season a few years back!

Benthos and GreatDaneRock like this.
  20. Benthos

Benthos NEW MEMBER!

This is helpful to hear. I have the Tone Block 202 and while it sounds good, I was hoping to add a little Fendery chime/dimension to it. It should arrive tomorrow. Do you add any dirt pedals? Thanks

Chiogtr4x likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.