Thank You Jack for Diminishing the Stigma of Playing a Squier Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Feb 7, 2020.

1. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

When Fender first starting doing business in Japan, they partnered with FUJI-GEN. That's who made the early Squiers, and the early MIJ Fender from the 80's and 90's. When that partnership dissolved... Fender started using Tokai to build the guitars and the designation changed from MIJ to CIJ.

Although Tokai put(s) out a brand of their own causing some confusion, but they are really just a guitar plant that builds guitars to spec for the company's that order them. A Japanese made guitar under ANY brand (Fender, Epiphone, Ibanez, PRS, etc... etc..) would be made in one of the "plants". Fuji-Gen and Tokai were/are two of the biggest and best.

To answer your question directly... YES, Tokai Gakki certainly built great guitars in that era. TBH, I don't know an era where they didn't. They are one of the high end builders that produces guitars for ANY brand, to the specs they are given.

2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Thanks codamedia

I've had three other USA Strats previously over the years and always thought my CIJ was equal in quality.

Good to know that Takio has always held a high standard on all their work. Platefire

codamedia likes this.
  3. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Which is sometimes - not always - well-deserved. :)

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Self depreciation is my way of dealing with the reality I'm not superman, although I still act like I am. :confused:

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

awww, like a man on a tightrope, hmmmm, I have fortunately gotten over Walter Diddy Syndrome, Harpo Marx feels good now.

6. Platefire

I've got several Squires, this is my top dog, a Deluxe.SN# ICS09021643=2009 Indonesia. This guitar is well made in about every detail. Full size body and small head-stock. I would like to see Jack do a few run throughs on this one. About the worst thing I can think about it is its Basswood body but that seems to be a preferred wood with some guitarist these days. I don't really find anything negative about the wood, seems OK to me. I understand that wood dents easy, so I handle it carefully. Those Alnico 5 D.D. SC101 pickups aren't bad either. Kind of in-between classic and modern. Platefire

Squier Deluxe Stratocaster 012.jpg Squier Deluxe Stratocaster 015.jpg

7. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Just saw this pic, Billy Bremner at the 100 Club, Oxford St.

Rocking the (modified) Squier.

[​IMG]

He's probably best known for playing lead on the Pretenders' "Back On The Chain Gang".
    And as a member of Rockpile with Nick Lowe and dave Edmunds.

Jlwctn and 61fury like this.
  8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Well, Jack Pearson was a force before he was slinging a Squier. Squiers are pretty good as-is, and are better than most folks know, but they can be improved upon with just a little effort. I finally re-wired and re-capped a tele Affinity, and finally got the ice-pick under control. I wired it just like my MIM. I also put a long pin under the strings and saddles to increase the poor break angle at the saddles, which stopped the saddle screws from backing out, etc. It sounds like a clone of a much more expensive Fender. It plays ok too, but it needs a bit more work on the fretboard to play like a more expensive Fender. I take it out every now and then, but I also take something nice, like a $$ guitar or amp, just to communicate I DO have good gear..lol.

9. Platefire

Yelp, I have a 2006 Squire Affinity Tele Butterscotch I got used on a trade. I have done quite of bit of work to mine also but it now plays, sounds great and has a nice classic tele tone. I also have a 2003 Fender Highway One Tele witch is my only USA Fender!!!:>) I prize both but I've been considering modding the Hwy 1 to make it sound more classic like the Affinity. On the other hand I may leave it the same just to have more tele versatility on hand. Platefire

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I love Squiers just as much as Fenders. I don't see any reason not to buy cheaper gear if it plays just as good.

Ronzo and Wound_Up like this.
  11. Platefire

The way I am with squires, I don't hesitate to dive in and make adjustments, experiment and mod but on the more expensive guitars I'm less likely to dive in so fast. That kind of makes squires more fun for me. That's how I learned my strat set up skills on a squire. Use to, adjusting a neck was a scary risky operation but now, because of that, I don't give it a second thought. Platefire

Fendereedo and Ronzo like this.
  12. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire

A few years ago I picked up a Squier in a GC, just because I liked the look of it and wanted to see what it was like.

I didn't buy it, but previous to this, I never thought that a Squier would be a great guitar.

Within a minute or two of playing and looking it over closely, I realized that it was a impressive guitar! That really opened my eyes and mindset - to realize that a Squier could be an awesome instrument!

I still suffer from preferring the Fender logo on the headstock (personal foible, I guess), but I don't for a moment consider a Squier to be a less-than excellent guitar.

And today, the body-part of my '69 Mahogany Thinline is a Squier - with a Fender Baja '60s rosewood neck. It's a fantastic body that you would never know from MM or MIA. Sure works for me.
    [​IMG]

Jlwctn and Fendereedo like this.
  13. Platefire

Nice looking Tele. You could have fooled me. Looks like USA made. Nice looking amps in the background also. I've been playing on low watt tube amps the last year. Hard to beat IMHO. Except I've been hooking two together in parallel. Not stereo but wider bigger sound. Platefire

DHart and Fendereedo like this.
  14. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I thought he was best known as the combative (aka, dirty bas***d) midfielder for Leeds United and Scotland in the 1970s. Sure looks like him. :D

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  15. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Spooky !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VerySlowHand likes this.
  16. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

I picked up a Squier Jaguar, on the cheap, just to get an idea if it was the "sound" I was looking for before I dropped a lot of money on a "good" one. It already had AVRI pickups and CTS pots, as well as the typical Mustang bridge replacement. It's not my number one, but it absolutely shines in specific situations so it's a keeper. The fit, finish and play-ability is unbelievable. I didn't even have to set it up or even tweak it upon arrival. If I had spent a LOT of money an American version, I wouldn't have been able to justify keeping it.

Jlwctn likes this.
  17. Platefire

misterdontmove---that's how I ended up with so many electrics---those deals so good you just can't refuse. What made me quit was when I ran out of room to store them. There are a lot of want to be players that buy a decent electric with good intentions of learning to play but are not committed enough to stay with it and end up selling their ax for cheap. Same way with amps. If you wait and have your eye out for these deals and spring on them as soon as they come up, you can make some great deals. Usually those who hesitates, loses. Platefire

awasson likes this.
  18. Scotty2Hottie

Scotty2Hottie TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

God Bless Jack,s Older Brother

19. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

Just grand!

20. Platefire

You lost me on "Jacks Older Brother"????? Clue me in!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.