Thank You Jack for Diminishing the Stigma of Playing a Squier Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Feb 7, 2020.

1. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle. And I've seen the lowliest, unarmed squire (we spell it Squier) pull a spear from his own body, to defend a dying horse. Nobility is not a birthright. It's defined by one's actions." (and tone) Robin of Locksley (Kevin Costner) from "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves"

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    mkdaws32 likes this.
  2. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I'm not saying it's 100% accurate, but the guy who wrote a ton of that site (Rockape on the forums) has forgotten more about JV Squiers than most of us will ever know. I thought I had read something from him before about what JV stood for but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Unfortunately he seems to have lost his enthusiasm for JVs as he doesn't post anywhere anymore that I can find. I had an SST-50 which was the domestic model, it was a great guitar but I just found the neck way too skinny for me.

codamedia likes this.
  3. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I saw a video of his band and his bass player had an Epiphone bass too.

4. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

That's an interesting pickup configuration on the sunburst. I'd be interested to know more about them.

5. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

And I bet nobody has ever told you that your "Fender" guitar sounds like a Squier, either.

6. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

In the Marty Schwartz video he said he chooses his guitars based n their acoustic resonance.

7. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

If the logic of the "Squier haters" carries over to other products, I know some, drivin' in the left lane ALL THE WAY TO DALLAS, folks who need to trade some 20 year old Camry's n Civics in on new Ferrari's!

8. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Neck is an Artec replica (construction not appearance) of a Supro Vistacoil (which became more well known as a Hi'LoTron by Gretsch when they cut a filtertron in half and started making them instead of buying them from Valco) .... my favorite single coil pickup nowadays ... the middle is a JB Junior and the bridge PU is a Dimarzio SDS-1 which is a much darker sounding pickup than you usually get down there in a strat.

All sound great in single selection but the 2nd position (middle/bridge) is a little mismatched .... I don't use that position so it doesn't bother me.

The carved guitar actually is the most amazing sounding of the lot, in all positions. Never heard anything like it. Part of that is the Tremedic solid brass spring anchor in the back of the trem cavity. I am retro-fitting another one of those into the super lightweight (under 6 pounds) custom made blue strat this weekend.

mudguardstrat.jpg

'51 geezer likes this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Nope!

10. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

That’s the spirit!

Si G X likes this.
  11. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

It's one of my goals to make partscasters that sound great, but not like other "strats".

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

As usual this is board meeting decisions that don't get printed and distributed, but we can recall what happened and sift through the things we do actually know.

When the MIJ Squier brand arrived there were two big things happening.
    Fender was making guitars and amps that were not as good as their older product.
    Japanese companies were making Fender copies that were better than current production USA Fenders.

Then the third thing that happened was Fender (And Gibson also) took legal action to try to stop Tokai and others from selling Fender copies, which was I suppose easier than changing up US manufacture to make the real Fenders better and more competitive.
    Fender got little results in court because they had never bothered to protect their "trademark", and the courts only granted a change in look aloike logo and look alike headstock, but the superior MIJ copies continued.
    So Fender created Fender Japan which was a distributor, and Fender Japan contracted with the copy makers to keep making the same Fender copies in Japan but put a Squier by Fender decal on the newly licensed Fender shaped headstocks.

Part of this arrangement seems to have been that the Squiers Fender Japan distributed varied by market they were shipped to.

Fender didn't really want better Squiers than the domestic guitars, so Fender Japan spec'd slightly cheaper hardware and maye cheaper finishes, possibly even cheaper wood for the Squiers shipped to the US.
    Fender Japan sold the best Squiers in Japan and in other non US markets though.
    It seems odd that Canada would get the top tier Squiers that the US market didn't get since it was just a border, and IDK details.

I do recall that after I bought an early Squier Strat at Manny's, the first MIJ Fender branded guitars arrived and some of the Strats were virtually the same exact guitar as the Squier I had bought there.

Funny though that the slightly earlier Tokai Fender copies I own andf have owned were a little better than those US market MIJ Squiers.
    So it's very very clear that those Japanese factories were producing better quality guitars than the Squier branded examples made for the US market. Differences I recall were for example the Strat body contours seemed to have gotten minimal sanding and had a pronounced edge where the flat transitioned into the round over. The hardware was less nicely finished and chromed. The bodies were basswood where AFAIK at least some of the Squiers for non US markets got the more expensive alder or ash.

Electronics were not great in any of the Squier lines, not sure why, not terrible but not great.
    There have been some very good pickups from Japan but it seems like the pride was in the woodworking part more than in the electronics. Odd given that Japan became the pinnacle of top quality production electronics.
    But at that time I suppose the Japanese electronics industry was not all about primitive 1940s American tech found inside electric guitars.

codamedia likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

I have a '97 USA Tele and a '98 MIM Tele neck and they are pretty near identical including the plastic truss liner.
    Slight shape difference and the MIM labeled has a darker RW for the board.
    We often see the claim that all plastic truss access liners indicate MIM, but it seems that many plastic liner necks were made in the US and shipped the short trip to the Mexi shop for finishing.
    Those two are really nice necks, among the best Fender necks I've owned.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  14. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

OK! Maybe you guys that has done a lot of research and reading on MIJ and CIJ guitars of the past can help identify my #1 Strat. It's not a Squire but a Fender CIJ 50's Reissue with the Serial Number A020607.

Running the serial number search on the "Fender Serial Number Decoder" I got this information I cut and pasted next:

Serial number: A020607

Production year: 1985 or 1986 (Made in Japan)
    Made by Fuji-gen,Japan
    Production year: 1997 or 1998 (Crafted in Japan)
    Made by Tokai Gakki, Japan

Here is some other info on Fender at the Takai plant in 1997:

1997: The Tōkai Corp. now joined Dyna Gakki as the EXCLUSIVE manufacturers of Fenders made in Japan, and continued to be stamped Crafted In Japan. Anyone who know their facts will tell you that these early Tokai Fenders are truly excellent instruments. A fun fact here is that, when Fender announced that they were again manufacturing guitars in the US at their new Corona, CA plant, the guitars they pictured were ACTUALLY made by Tokai!

So mine is CIJ, so was Tokai Gakki producing good guitars in 1997-1998??? I've had it 20 years and the quality appears very good to me. Platefire

A Picture of it:
    Bob's Stratocaster 002.jpg

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

I think they're great but haven't seen them all, and love the Japanese made Tokai guitars too.
    Have you looked for dates inside the guitar?

16. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

My long lost and much lamented Ibanez 1978 "strat" which is actually a rare bird, a Challenger series (not well known but top everything, wood, electronics, all great stuff) but BRANDED as the cheaper Silver Series which was a transitional error after the line was shut down. All attempts to trace the story support that there might have been a handful of these made, so far we can find only 2.

I really really really really REALLY wish I still had this guitar. Solid ash/rock maple. Just a brilliant guitar. I changed out the pickups the rest is all stock. Oh, and the Armstrong 7-way switching was my idea, before I even knew it was "Armstrong wiring". My first electric guitar. Yes, I am an idiot.

ibanezSS.jpg

17. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

I’ve got a hand full of Squier a all classic vibes older MIJ and a vintage modified. They stand their ground against most of my USA built fenders.

18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

as I read through this tread I, find myself thinking about the uncharitable things some people say to others, and what that portrays or betrays with regard to the person being high handed,. Could be the result of child abuse, insecurity: hence the need to put others down with estem hits, casual cruelty just for the fun of it?
    It maakes me think of a comment the Dalai Lama made when asked about his practice , his reply," My religion is kindness." And I recall being taught that "the smallest act of human kindness is never wasted"
    A discuss about how we treat each other: the circumstances and the context do not define my values , my values define my behavior without regard to the situation, I try to remember that I always have a choice.

19. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

beautiful , not an idiot, no not at all If I would have known .... be nicer to yourself.
    If I would have known,o_O I never would have married her....;) too late now , right

20. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

@telemnemonics .... Your entire post is great, I am just going to comment on a couple of sentences.

This was the early 80's, prior to any free trade agreements that brought the US and Canada closer together in the business world. I suspect being part of the commonwealth we just had a trade deal more in line with the UK at the time.

Here lies an important distinction. The guitars I am talking about are two particular models of the earliest "UK Export" JV's ... They came with American made pickups and high quality electronics. It was the tipping point from a "very good" guitar to a "great" guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.