Thank You Jack for Diminishing the Stigma of Playing a Squier Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Confession. This is something I really enjoy and it's not even a fender copy. It's a sorta copy of a cheap Gibson. Last guitar I bought brand new in years.

DSC03739.JPG

2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

That was a beautiful release from Squier. A player and a looker!
    I was working in a music store when those came out, they never lasted more than a couple days on the floor before some lucky person scooped it up.

3. Platefire

About the time they were rapping up production on the Protones in the late 90's was about the time they came out with the Affinity Strat with full size body and small headstock. I was able to pick one of these a few years back, made in Indonisia 1998. It has become my go to guitar for jamming around the house. Platefire IMG_20181222_122215.jpg

4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

@Platefire i love both of those guitars. I have no Gibson style guitars right now, but I’ve been thinking about some sort of Special or LP copy a lot lately.

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A lot of people don't have a clue who Jack Pearson is, so their opinion isn't going to be changed because Jack gigs with a Squire.
    I got a Squire Strat a while back , was going to use it as a mod platform, but I ended up parting it out to sell it. A local CL yahoo commented on Squires being junk that nobody would want to buy the parts , I tried to reason with him even mentioned Jack Pearson, ended up blocking his email because he was a jerk.
    In the end , play what you want and don't pay attention the brand or what anyone says. The quality of a lot of the cheap guitars these days is amazing IMO, especially compared to what was available when I was a young player. Compare a Squire Affinity, low end Epiphone, etc.. to some of the low end MIJ guitars from the 60s, much better build quality, better wood, even better electronics and hardware.

Ronzo likes this.
  6. Platefire

To be totally honest I had a bad attitude regarding the early squires myself. I had laid hands on some early Squires in the 80's at a Music shop and was totally turned off by them. At that point I was totally down on them. What changed my mind was a Friend of mine at work said he had one he had bought to learn on, his first electric but now he wanted to buy a real strat. He wanted to sell his squire to help fund his new strat. So he brought his squire to work and told me I could take it home with me and try it out. It turned out it was a 80's MIK Squire Bullet, Black with a Maple neck/fingerboard that included a Fender hard Case. He said he wanted $150. I did take it home at begin to play it and low and behold I was impressed. What happened is after a few days of living with it, I never took it back to my Friend, I took him a $150.
    That was a fine a playing guitar as any of the higher end guitars I had previously owned and it sounded good too. My first Squire. I kept that guitar for about 15 years(Approx 1995-2010) and played it at many a gig. So that guitar changed my mind about squires.

According to my understanding of Jack's story on squires is he had a friend ask him to pick out a guitar for his Friend's Daughter to learn on. So in this process he picked out a Squire Strat. That's what introduced him to a Squire. So he then realized it was a really good playing guitar and started using them. Sometimes it takes something out of the ordinary for us to shuck off our pre-concieved notion about things and see reality.

Here is the only picture I have of my first Squire Bullet. A pretty poor picture but all I have of it anymore. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:DPlatefire PhotoScan.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Platefire, many years ago I had a similar Squier Bullet with the Tele style neck, it was a hardtail Stratish body toploader bridge 3 Strat pickups. The neck on the one I had was great, to me it felt just like some of the late 60s / early 70s Tele necks, I wish I had kept the neck. The rest of it was ok, seemed well built and it played well good action and the sound was good.
    I rarely see the Squier Bullet guitars anymore and if you do they aren't cheap.

8. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It's probably a USA Fender with Squier decals.

9. Platefire

Hi Ringo. Yes I thought the guitar was a cool design with almost 3/4 body kind of like a mustang but a full size tele style neck. The pickups were ceramic but were kind of special IMHO. They had a single bar magnet and the pickups were hot in the range of 8K ohms. They would drive an amp. The two point trem was good also. Properly set up, and with good lubricated nut, it would stay in tune with much trem use. The main drawback is the body was layered like plywood(heavy) but still had good tone. Had some real good times playing on that guitar. They latter started making Bullets the full size strat body with standard type pick-guard and neck. The Bullets we had were their own special design that looks like never to be RI again.

hdvades---I don't think ever in the history of electric guitar has anyone ever pulled USA Fender Decals off and installed a Squire Decal!!!! Defiantly an upgrade for the USA strat:>)
    Something like this:
    Ugly duckling.jpg

stevemc likes this.
  10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wonder if Joe Glasser did the set up?

Probably wouldn't make a difference the way Jack plays.

11. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Never heard this. Any documentation to back this up?

12. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I suspect that kids consider it way more hip/fashionable to play something cheap than something wildly expensive. It might be like mistakingly attaching a stigma to walking around in torn and frayed jeans and a sport coat from Goodwill. I'm old but I still love cheap guitars (but no more ripped clothing for me).

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a guy I know who's a music director at a suburban megachurch. He would probably add Duesenberg to that list (he owns a Mike Campbell model). He insists that members of the worship band have "proper" gear which means not only the "right" guitar brands, but the "right" amps (tubes only, Fender, Vox or boutique) and "right" pedals (board must contain at least one Strymon pedal).

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I remember in the 90's a friend who was a manager a Chuck Levins told me that there had been a fire in the Mexican Fender factory and they had to put MIM decals on MIA strats and teles for a short time to meet demand.

15. telebklyn

telebklyn TDPRI Member

It's a hunk of wood that's like lego pieces. Sometimes they're going to play well regardless. Glad some are learning to spell Squier. It's right there on the headstock: Squier. Not Squire govnah

Jim603 likes this.
  16. Platefire

I agree with Ringo in post #57. Being raised up in the 50's and 60's the playability of cheap guitars are so so much better now than they were back then. Some cheap guitars in those day couldn't be made to play in tune or the action so high, the best you could do was play some open cowboy cords.

Today even the cheapest Strat or LP copy will have the cheapest parts available but even though cheap are accurately made and placed on the guitar to in the proper place to allow proper set up for intonation, neck adjustment, action and PU height. So as a lot of people are doing, using be these guitars as a mod platform and putting the better parts on them with great results. Besides I find that very much fun and rewarding to play a guitar that you got some of your own sweat and blood invested in it. It's kind of like "I know this guitar Inside and out" and I approve! Platefire

Ronzo and Chicago Matt like this.
  17. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Good question! I don't believe there is a definitive resource from FENDER, SQUIER or even FUJI-GEN. I really wish there was!

My info came from years of reading trade mags, and guitar articles over the years... beginning in '82 when it all began. I also worked in a music store in the early 90's where the "long term Fender Rep" that frequently visited was a wonderful resource about the Squier line.... the good the bad and the ugly :D

I didn't source my info from the internet so I can't point you anywhere in particular and claim that's where I got it from... but based on a quick search there are several articles/blogs/discussions about this very topic.

You can check out 21frets.com for "what looks to be" a fairly comprehensive case study on JV/SQ Squiers.... and a few models beyond. However, I lose a little faith when they claim JV stands for "Japanese Vintage" rather than "Joint Venture". At the very least, both should be listed as distinct possibilities. I do however see reference on the various JV pages to the early UK/Europe Exports which are the "crème de la crème" I am talking about. It doesn't state that those models arrived in Canada, but I don't need anyone to tell me they did ;).

Rowdyman and BluesGuitarMart like this.
  18. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Look up "Black Label Fender Squier Series". '93-'98 MIA parts were shipped to the Ensenada factory after the fire.

I have a '94 SS Strat. Plays as well as most any other Strat I've ever picked up.

It's had electronic and tuner upgrades. Great modding platform.

telemnemonics and teletail like this.
  19. MrYeats

MrYeats Tele-Meister

I like to say "People with more dollars than sense."

20. MrYeats

MrYeats Tele-Meister

Starcasters get even a worse rap....I only have about 20 of those.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.