Thank You Jack for Diminishing the Stigma of Playing a Squier Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Feb 7, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

"haters keep on hatin' "

Si G X and 24 track like this.
  2. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Does it “feel” right?
    Does it stay in tune?
    Does it have a good sound?

After that, everything else is gravy.

I have some beautiful guitars, and a few with a higher “pedigree” than others...but I’ve made the MIM Telecaster in my avatar pic my main instrument, because it answers those top three question in spades.

No joke:
    A couple of years ago, I was playing in a little jam session/showcase with a bunch of other guitarists—including a few that had high-end PRS and Gibson Custom Shop and Fender Custom Shop instruments, as well as boutique and/or vintage amps that cost more than my first two cars. One guy had an original Klon, and one had a pedalboard that rivaled anything you’ve ever seen from a touring pro.

One guy was digging my rig (pinstriped MIM Telecaster, some off-the-shelf effects and [production model] 1990 ‘63-reissue Vibroverb) until his partner said, “Yeah, that cheap stuff is ok, until you’re really ready to play...”

Fortunately, the best guitarist in the room (with my permission) grabbed my guitar and used my rig to eat the guy’s lunch in a little cuttin’ heads session...then asked him, “So I guess you weren’t really ready to play today?”

The guy who insulted my rig didn’t hardly touch his guitar for the rest of the day.

(btw, that best guitarist in the room was playing a homemade Telecaster-like-object into a stock Blues Jr. amp, so he and I had the “worst” rigs in the room).
    ——————————————————

Q: Is a quarter-sawn neck attached to a perfect hand-planed tone wood body with thin nitro finish and pickups that were hand-wound by virgin monks in an oxygen-free environment going to sound better than my cheap Telecaster that I’ve customized with cheap pickups and parts and tacky accruements?

A: Depends on who’s playing it.

Ronzo, SuprHtr, '51 geezer and 4 others like this.
  4. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I heard someone at a show once say the player on stage was not a real guitarist because he was playing a Squier. Was glad he said that so I was fully aware he was an idiot.

Seriously, though, who cares? I will definitely note what they are playing but not to judge it, just to figure it out.

This is a golden era of guitars. You can get something great for short money.

Ronzo, aging_rocker, SuprHtr and 3 others like this.
  5. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

The only thing that puts me off is that narrow width at nut position I've seen on Squires. Maybe it's just some models?

6. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Yes, some. If you pay attention, you can find Squiers with wider nuts.

7. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

There could be any number of reasons he plays a Squier.

I see it as a badge of honor thing. Kind of like his way of saying, "Kids, it's not about the gear, it's about the player." Or maybe "I don't need fancy gear and I'm still better than you."

8. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

I’ve never seen anyone look down at someone else just because they play a Squier in the real world. On the other hand online, there are tons of threads where people are openly derisive about anyone who dares to play a high-end guitar, complete with school-yard insults like “cork sniffer.”

Maybe I run with a different crowd but the people I know that play high end instruments couldn’t care less what someone else plays. Most of us started out on inexpensive instruments, it’s not like we were all born with a custom shop fender waiting for us to play.

9. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I guess that means I’m a real guitarist sometimes depending on which of my guitars I choose to play!? Strange mentality some folks have.

Good point - there’s guys with low end stuff that envy the guys with custom and vintage gear, so they call ‘em out. Then there are egomaniacs that crap on anything lesser than what they have. Goes both ways. I like to think that 90% of us don’t fall into either of those camps. I play instruments that I bond with. I don’t have anything super high end, but that’s my budgetary situation. Still I have nice stuff, to me, that gets the job done and I wouldn’t think twice about dropping 3 or 4 k on a guitar that spoke to me of budget was no concern. Audience doesn’t care - it’s only me that has to be happy with the playability and tone I have.

Bruxist and teletail like this.
  10. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

I probably just have grumpy old man syndrome. Bringing baggage from another forum where it seems like every week there’s another thread about how their Squier is better than any custom shop guitar.

I had auditions a few years back and some guy show up with a custom shop precision, but couldn’t follow a twelve bar progression. In fairness though, the guys with really cheap basses weren’t much better.

Jlwctn and mkdaws32 like this.
  11. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

You guys raking me over the coals because I show a measure of concern about how people judge you because you sporting a squire. I'm not saying it bothers me. Like I don't loose any sleep over it. It's just something I've encountered playing around. Those who give you that attitude because you not playing a major name brand. I'm just glad I'm not infected with that illness. If I though buying a custom shop guitar would make me play like all the fantastic players I see on you tube, I would get one or some in a minuet.
    The top of the line I got is, I do have a 2003 Hwy 1 USA Tele and a CIJ 1997 50's RI Strat. People that have the finest of guitars are OK with me. I will enjoy and celibrate along with them on their fine collection. With me, I just can't do it. To much of a tight wad I guess??? I also kind of get off on a under-dog guitar too, trying to set it up and mod it where it will perform like the big boys:>) The way I look at it if I accept and enjoy along with you your high end collection, you shouldn't hold it against me for enjoying my under-dog collection---but that's your right if you want to.

Jack just put it out front in a way no one has done before. Yeah! that "Squire" I see on the head-stock and Yeah! that's awesome playing and tone. Sure the majority of it is Jack's talent. He just proves that it can be done on a squire, if you so wanted to and are able to. So if any of you want to dis-arm yourself of all those gaudy high end custom specials and fight it out with a under-dog, I might can give you some help in your disposal:)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Jlwctn likes this.
  12. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

there's a stigma?

13. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I don't have a Squier but a 100 dollar G&L tribute asat special. I love it cause it's semihollowbody. It never drifts out of tune even with Buchanon style bends.

I get a lot of compliments.

14. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

It's a tool. The only thing that matters is the music.

If some-one builds a really cool house, do you think anyone with any sense is going to sit around arguing over what power tools were used?

15. Teletubbie

Teletubbie TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I think that says it all.
    Very happy with my Protone, it plays as well any any other Tele I've had.
    IMG_0528.JPG

Jlwctn, codamedia and Fiesta Red like this.
  16. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

I have a ‘86 US strat, ‘84 MIJ strat and my no 1. go to is a tele I made, end of story, I am a machinist and absolutely anal about my set ups and the home made body with a Warmoth neck does it every time.

17. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I have a Squier in addition to my "nice" guitars, and it is great and I love it.
    The stigma as you call it makes it fun, because as we know, they are solid guitars, so if you rock one and sound good, you are rubbing it in the face of the "haters" (which I am not sure exist so much haha) about how wrong they are.
    Low priced guitars these days, and especially Fender style in my opinion, are amazing things. If you put your choice of pickups in them, or even totally stock, they are winners and a great value. Diminishing returns will kick in quickly when you start spending more I think.

Jlwctn likes this.
  18. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

Jimmy page is probably the one you should thank. Used Eko laminated acoustics and Danelectro playwood guitars because he new what he liked.

Jlwctn likes this.
  19. psykobilly

psykobilly Tele-Meister

The reason I started building is because I could put in exactly what I wanted and do it way cheaper than buying. One of my favorite guitars of all time was a Squier with upgraded electronics, but I wanted a guitar that was made for me, by me. Always love it when guys come up and ask “Is that a Fender?” Nope Psykobilly. Either get a “that’s cool”, or a confused “Oh”. Lol

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm not sure how the Squire Tele Bullets stack up, but I'm considering one b/c I saw someone post that the body is routed for a HB at the neck...with a new pickguard I'm thinking that is close to what I think I want.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.