Thank You Jack for Diminishing the Stigma of Playing a Squier Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Feb 7, 2020.

1. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That guy had one of the best tones to ever come out of a guitar.

My #1 and #2 were Korean special edition Fenders (a Tele and a Strat) for years - just awesome players (still are, still have them). Now my #1 and #2 are an Am STD Tele and a Squier Affinity Strat with Tex Mex pickups. Again, both awesome players, but these are both a little brighter and edgier than my MIKs, which suits me right now (I’m sure that will change again soon :) ). All four are equally great players, regardless of the names on the headstocks or the price paid. It’s rare I pick up another guitar anywhere that I like as much as these four.

24 track likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had the pleasure to work sound for Jeff Healey at the Yale hotel in Vancouver , you would be surprized at what he used to get that tone , a fender champ that sat under his chair and his squier strat , thats it

black_doug, Fiesta Red and Mad Kiwi like this.
  3. mkdaws32

That’s awesome. Kinda puts all the “tone chasing” we do in perspective, doesn’t it?

Chicago Matt, Fiesta Red and 24 track like this.
  4. 24 track

yes it does, the secret is to use what you got and work it till it works for you, and not to sound androgonous to every one else. How many jeff becks do we need , I'm happy , no Exstatic with the real one, LOL

Chicago Matt and mkdaws32 like this.
  5. mkdaws32

@24 track I hear you. I always sound the same no matter what I play through. It’s my tone - the tone in my head - and I love it. I have no amp GAS at all. Guitars, I’m fussy about, though. More than the tone, I care about the range of dynamics I can get and the attack and feel when I really dig in. Some guitars seem to have a “lid” of sorts (compression? pickups?) and other just keep getting bigger and fuller and more aggressive the more I dig in. I always set my gain so it’s a nice light crunch when playing moderately, cleaner when I back off and a healthy crunch when I dig in. I find I have to do a bit of playing with any new guitar to get it to respond the way I like. Sometimes it’s a pickup height adjustment - sometimes it’s needs a pickup swap. I have full-size HB guitars, single-size HB guitars (rails) and all true single coil guitars. Differ tones, which is good, but I want them to all respond to my touch the same. I use a heavier clean boost after true singles, and that helps.

Bottom line is, I know what I like and I know how to get it ;). What’s on the headstock doesn’t matter.

24 track likes this.
  6. 24 track

I set up my studio rig so I can have 6 different sounds i like and I can blend them using a 16 channel mixer not daisy chain them but my main tones or sounds can be created as stand alone units through any amp or direct into the console individually, a different approach entirely.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If you're worried that there is or is not a stigma associated with some brand, you are wasting your time. Over the past year for most of my live shows I have used a stock Epiphone. Never once has anyone bothered to mention or discuss the brand or price of my guitar. I have gotten many compliments on playing and tone, but none on the type of guitar I own. It seems beneath discussion - if the fanciness of your instrument is the measuring stick, they are not listening to the music.

8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Ahhhhh... but what kind of "tone chair" was he sitting on? :lol:

9. mkdaws32

@24 track I use a completely different approach in the studio as well (hobbyist mostly - I have done paid session work, but not extensively). It comes down to a lot of experimentation and thinking outside of the box at times. My approach above is more for live work where consistency and simplicity are king.

24 track likes this.
  10. mkdaws32

Yes! Was the chair Ash or Alder!

11. 24 track

this is mine

P1011968a.JPG

stormsedge and mkdaws32 like this.
  12. 24 track

oak chair lol

mkdaws32 likes this.
  13. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Never felt there was any stigma with Squier ... having owned both a strat and a tele ... they were just fine ... a good player should have no problem with one ... Jimi or Clapton would sound just like ... Jimi or Clapton ...

MickM, 24 track and mkdaws32 like this.
  14. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Norrin Radd and 24 track like this.
  15. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

F4337383-151C-41BE-8710-F9B8E74E7FCA.jpeg

Here’s my Road Worn 50s Tele and my Squier VM Tele Deluxe.

I love everything about the Squier. It’s the only electric guitar I played first before buying it. The RW and my other electrics were ordered online.

I didn’t know who Jack Pearson was before seeing his video with Marty Schwartz. He is a wonderful player for sure.

However, I can tell whether a guitar is good or not just by playing it. My Squier is plenty good enough.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    24 track likes this.
  16. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I take a weird (maybe it isn't) kind of pleasure out of doing something as spectacular as I can pull off (musically speaking) with one of my home made partscasters that are basically strats, but have jazzmaster necks on them. I leave the Squier Jazzmaster logo's on them just because it makes people go "wtf ?" a lot of times. It's fun, I like it ... and the guitars play and sound awesome so what's not to like ?

jazzcaster2.jpg cancercaster.jpg

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Squiers are terrific guitars, even the Affinity line. I still put Fender decals on them, though. Just for the appearance.

24 track likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah see, I never really hear anybody ridicule players of Squiers.

What I see a lot of though is this sort of snobbish ridicule of rich guys with CS Fenders!

24 track likes this.
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Well yeah. It's more fun to make fun of the guy at the dude ranch with the big sheepskin chaps and the 10 gallon hat and the expensive fancy shiny saddle.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

if you dismiss you feeling that you are doing something wrong and know it, the experience feeling of stigma will leave immediately.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.