Thank You Jack for Diminishing the Stigma of Playing a Squier Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I know Jack Pearson has been talked about a lot on and off around here. I do thank him for taking away a lot of the stigma associated with playing a Squire Strat with a lot of people. Off course you got the die hards and off course if you can afford to buy the best quality strats, fine!!!! but I think he's proved a squire strat properly set up can go a long ways>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I really appreciate the value and play-ability of my Squire Strats and for my level of playing and ability is certainly all I need. Anyway if there happens to be anybody who don't know who I'm talking about here is a YouTube of him. Platefire

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...25CFCBE1AC974399FD7225CFCBE1AC97439&FORM=VIRE

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Squiers have had no negative stigma for a long time now

Some of the cork sniffers and snobs and people with more money than sense haven't caught up yet, but, so what?

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jeff Healey always used squiers and if I could play 1/2 as good as he did on his worst day ,I'ld be an advocate

Jlwctn, studio, black_doug and 14 others like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

also Chuck Prophet

5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Nobody cares what guitar you or anyone else is playing. If there's a good tune coming out of it, they'll dance.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I still run into a handful of other guitarists, mostly second or third rate, who surreptitiously sneer at "non Fender, Gibson or PRS" guitars. It's fun to pull out my latest build and current #1 gigging guitar, which is a very specific custom partscaster Tele, with my abreviated first name (Taz) on the headstock. IF they ask about it, and I explain all the details, sometimes they're suitably impressed. Otherwise, they probably think it's some made in China kit I threw together. Either way, it doesn't matter....hopefully they'll be impressed with my playing. ;)

7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I’ve owned seven Strats. I sold off four, including a Custom Shop and a reissue ‘57. The three I kept for sound and feel are an original ‘56, an original ‘63, and a 2007 hardtail Squier Bullet Strat.

tintag27, Toadtele and TIM5150 like this.
  8. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I watched a video where one of the Fender Custom Shop master builders was asked what his favorite guitar was. He replied it was his 80s Squier Strat.

rob5755, tintag27, Fiesta Red and 3 others like this.
  9. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

yeah, other guitarists... I play in garage punk bands, so I'm not going to be impressing those kind of guitarists with my playing skill or choice of guitar... or my crappy looking homemade effects. They'll always be sneering no matter what. :D

10. Platefire

As OP, have owned three American Strats in my lifetime. The best, a 1965 I had for 20 years that I sold to a collector. So I do know how a good start is suppose to work and feel. A good Squire set up and modded to your taste can work just as good IMHO. Platefire

rob5755 and Jlwctn like this.
  11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Great guitars for the $$$ !!!
    Fender guitars !!!

12. 24 track

I found a a squier affinity lefty tele , although the electronics were cheap crap ,some how the pickups were perfect, I replaced everything with fender parts except the pickups , she sounds great! and normally I gut all fender guitars because I do not like the stock sound of the pickups period and i cant get a tone I can work with, this one is the exception!

13. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

A guitar is a chunk of wood with wires and some plastic. The name on the headstock will never indicate how good the player is, only the player will divulge this.

Fendereedo, BGLeduc, Jlwctn and 20 others like this.
  14. 24 track

Dickie Betts said in an interview "any good musician will make any guitar sound good",

15. Platefire

I'm totally amazed at this 2005 Affinity Fat Strat I picked up off ebay in 2018. The feel of it just says quality. I haven't messed with the set up much except intonation setting, trem spring tension and pu height. The action and neck just felt great right out of the shipping container. The original pickups sound great to me also. The only mods I did to it was installed two Dynaguide string trees and plugged the trem arm arm hole on the bottom side of the block where it goes all the way through, so I can use a tension spring for the trem arm. When I play it it just feels and plays like a much more expensive guitar. Platefire
    DSC03881.JPG

16. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Made in Japan "SQ" Squiers from the early 80's. Here in Canada (as well as the UK and AUS) we were treated to some beautiful Squier instruments (JV's and SQ's) between '82 and '85 on par with the AVRI guitars players speak so highly of.

In the US they experienced budget Squier variants (in comparison) during that same era.

Norrin Radd, beagle, Bruxist and 3 others like this.
  17. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I think it goes beyond Pearson playing a Squier or any other brand. It just proves what will happen when any decent instrument is placed in the hands of a talented player who understands the fundamentals of music and musicianship.

A lot of the imports these days are astoundingly good instruments. Sites like this one have brainwashed us into thinking we need quatersawn necks, custom wound boutique pickups, featherweight guitars, and "breathable" nitro finishes. I've seen quite a few examples of players who buy expensive instruments but instead maybe should be spending some extra time in the practice room.

For the record, I own four American instruments including a boutique build, and I own import guitars too. I don't really discern between them, I don't prefer one to another, and they all spoke to me in different ways and for different reasons. And I'm strongly considering one of the Gretsch Chinese Electromatics (5230T) :cool::cool:. They're just different tools to get the job done.

18. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I’m happy to play Squiers. They’re excellent guitars. I’ve modded both of mine, but none of that actually needed to happen to make them excellent guitars. They already were great guitars stock.

If anybody’s trashing Squiers, that’s their loss. Play good, sound good and no one will care what’s on the headstock.

19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Since I started building myself the name on the headstock has become pretty irrelevant to me. Parts either work properly and sound good or they don't.

20. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

IMG_20200106_205637.jpg
    Here are mine - 2 Squiers and a mostly Squier partscaster. They're just great guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.