1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thank the powers that be for those indicator lights

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by WalthamMoosical, Oct 19, 2020.

1. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Yesterday I figured it was time to take the IR (wireless) headphones & transmitter out of the closet and put them to "good" use. Headphone cables always get tangled with the guitar neck, or with my neck, somehow.

Quiz question #1: The three AAA alkaline batteries in the headphones had been there since the last previous use, > 25 years ago; do you think they might have leaked a bit?

Well, there was no point in hooking the whole system up if the headphones wouldn't power on due to all that crud, so needed to address that part first.

Ok, lots of vinegar and Q-tips later, ready to try again with fresh batteries. But turning the switch to "on" gave no satisfaction according to the "power" LED indicator. So I began disassembling the headphones to look for further leakage damage, and found plenty. Corroded and breaking wires, traces separated from the PC board, etc. Out come the DMM, the screwdrivers, the soldering iron, the solder, the dikes, the pliers, the clamps, the spool of hookup wire, and the flux paste. Did the repairs, checked for continuity and voltages, but it still wouldn't light up my life.

I was fairly confident that I'd found and fixed all the damage, and knowing that it's essentially impossible to kill an LED in these situations, I was stumped.

Quiz question #2: To which famous fictional London consulting detective who lived at 221B Baker St. is attributed the sentiment "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how much you will hate to have to admit it, must be the truth" (or some such)?

I dunno, maybe I will replace the busted LED someday, but the headphones work fine without it.

Quiz question #3: When they say "idiot lights," to whom exactly are they referring?

Alamo and erratick like this.
  2. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

LOL. At least you figured it out.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.