1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thank god for flight cases

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by loopfinding, Oct 26, 2020.

1. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

So I’ve had to fly twice in the last few months (not really by choice, I’m not a madman). Just passing on the info for others that might need it.

It may not look cool and vintage, but man, I’m grateful I bought the most recent Fender TSA case for only a little more money.

1) If you get a super cheap flight on a budget carrier, it can cost less than checked bags to buy a seat for your instrument. I’m pleased to say it easily fits between airplane seats.

2) It survived being checked on an 8 hour flight, and then through a transfer. I thought maybe I just got lucky with the baggage handlers until...

3) Yesterday. On the last escalator in my journey, at the top of the escalator, the step knocked it out of my hand. The guitar slid and tumbled down the whole way. My stomach dropped. Like an idiot I went to grab it, and I tumbled down with it. I was stuck with it at the bottom trying to get up and getting tumbled by the escalator for like a whole minute.

Case is a little beat up now, but I’m happy to report I pulled the guitar out at my apartment and it’s totally fine.

Any of you have some horror stories? Recommendations/tips for others?

AAT65 and richiek65 like this.
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Back in 86 I took my first electric guitar on a flight from London to what was then West Berlin.

I wasn't thinking at all. It was in an unpadded gig bag checked in as luggage.

It made it without a scratch.

I, on the other hand, looking like the 19-yr-old amateur junkie that I was, was interrogated for a while by the German police while soldiers with machine guns aimed at me from a gallery above.

Their biggest problem was with my Boss pedals, which they seemed to think were some kind of denotation device. I had to take them apart, put the batteries in . . . make the little light go one . . . do a little dance.

Well, we got out of there, found a squat to live in by the wall, shacked up with some friendly drug dealers, did a few gigs, misbehaved, had a lot more guns aimed at us from across the wall . . . got arrested . . . did a little dance.

I went back in 89. Nothing had changed, and nothing seemed as if it would ever change.

Now there's a lesson . . .

3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

Last time I flew with a guitar was the early 90s. The staff just put it into a coat closet at the front of the plane for me.

I used to like flying before a certain event turned the experience into a pain.

loopfinding likes this.
  4. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

Yeah I mean even a little after that, I bought a guitar in Spain in ‘02 or ‘03. Flew coach, just let me bring it on board and put it into a closet, no questions asked, no special fees. I’m not sure at what point they became especially hostile towards musicians. Nowadays they try and charge you just for breathing.

swervinbob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.