1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thank God for big, gas guzzling, American vehicles.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bear04, Jun 27, 2012.

1. mike steel

mike steel Tele-Meister

OK, so how do you justify the millions of city dwellers who drive one of those things and have never seen a moose?

We call them 'Chelsea tractors' over here.

2. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Concrete cowboys!!

3. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

My sisters brother in law was killed when the car in front of him on the expressway hit a deer. It launched the deer into the air and it came down on his hood, went through the window and killed him instantly.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm glad to hear everyone is OK.... :D

We hit a ton of horse at highway speed in a Peugeot 505.... nearly went through the windscreen and stopped an inch from my face...

the horse had come out of the dark from the passenger side... I didn't have time to say FFF!!!! or put my hands up ....:eek:
    just a big black shadow and a terrific Boom and a spray of glass..... stopped us dead.....
    the horse bounced off onto his feet and was running beside us as we rolled forward.... amazing.... then it took off into the bush with no visible injuries?....

we drove this car another 4 hours down the hwy to get home.... :twisted:..

tough cars the old pugs....:cool:

Attached Files:

5. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Wow! Trev 333 that had to be scary.Maybe you didn't have time to be scared when it was happening.

6. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I love my F-250 Super Duty that gets 8mpg. 7 foot tall, 13 feet long 7,000 lbs... if a chevy volt gets in front of me, ill crush it muhuhaha.

7. fendahbendah57

fendahbendah57 Tele-Meister

Happy for your family. Sorry for the moose.

8. trev333

if it had of been a smaller horse or a kangaroo it would have gone through the screen and took us out...

the big dint in the roof above my head was caused by the hip bone as it slid arse first into the screen and jammed...... I'm amazed I didn't get a broken nose, it was that close to my face as I come forward on the seatbelt.. another savior.......

the angels were watching over us that day.... ;)

9. Tred

Tred Tele-Afflicted

Isn't there a joke about buying a Smart Car? Something like, "If you get hit in one of those Smart cars, you won't need a casket other than the Smart Car." Yeah, I probably got it wrong.

Glad your family is fine, sorry for your loss (SUV).

I drive a full sized truck, love it! (Except, when I pass a gas pump...)

10. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is what I drive down to the shops. It's so you die, not me if we have an accident. Yay, me! :D

[​IMG]

11. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Well put.

Never going to make a difference with a moose. It's going onto the hood/windshield/roof of anything short of a Peterbilt.

Not even close to true. Despite the fact that we are both Higgys, I have to disagree. See quote above. Safe cars come in all sizes. Unsafe cars come in all sizes. For a long time, "big, safe" SUVs didn't even have to meet the same safety standards as smaller vehicles.

Pugs are tough buggers. Multi-rolled a 504 in a rally (I was a bad co-driver). Pushed it from its side to its wheels, and continued.

12. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Not a high proportion, but too many nevertheless. If you can't park it, you don't need to be driving it! However, the vast majority of SUVs I see at the grocery store are parked between the lines.

I love small cars, but that's mainly because I can stuff a big ol' engine in there and make them the fastest pocket rocket on the planet.:D

13. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

SUVs have got much safer. So many people who buy them thinking they are the safe option are actually killing far less people. That's nice.

14. trev333

I had a few 504's also... great cars on the dirt.... 4 wheel discs, independant suspension, rack and pinion steering, solid engines...

great rally cars.... and highyway cars as well....comfy buckets,.. ;)..

15. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

There have been guys driving semi trucks killed when thay hit a moose. Glad your family is OK.

16. bear04

bear04 Tele-Holic

I'm not trying to knock small cars. I know that with all the airbags, sensors, abs, etc, etc... they are getting safer and safer. All I'm saying is that living in the country like I do, and driving all over secondary highways through the middle of nowhere with moose having a habit of just cruising out of the woods into your path, I feel safer knowing my family is in a nice sized SUV and not a sub-compact electric car. A moose is an incredibly tall animal and pretty well any vehicle is going to take it out at the knees. I want them to get all the height they can.

However, I admit that at $1.20 per liter, or roughly $4.80 per gallon(???) (4 liters = approx 1 gallon...???), it does suck to fill it up. Not sure on my metric conversions...

17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

1 gallon= 3.785412 liters.
    Give or take.

18. cband7

cband7 Friend of Leo's

I agree with you 100%, however the likelihood that I have the time and/or composure to execute a rather extended decision chain prior to impact is rather small.

In other words, I would likely scream "SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII......" *WHUMP*. :eek:

What ever happened to those little ultrasonic whistles you stuck on the bumper to alert deer, etc. before you got there?

Attached Files:

19. mal paso

mal paso Banned

20. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Glad your family is safe, that's a blessing!

My wife was in our Lincoln Continental, going down interstate, and had to come to a quick stop due to traffic stopped in front of her....unluckily the semi behind her didn't. He hit that car so hard the trunk was in the back seat, literally. How she kept from plowing into the car in front of her no one knows.

I'm absolutely convinced if she had been in our Kia, she wouldn't be here today.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.