Texas rat snake blues

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by haggardfan1, Jun 30, 2020 at 5:07 PM.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

All right, I wasn’t going to do this, but I can’t resist, LOL!

A long time ago, in a place far, far away, I was hanging around in the jungle because that’s where I worked at the time.

I was accompanied by one of the local indigenous personnel, and we were sitting at the top of a hill, watching the area below.

We had been sitting there for quite some time when we suddenly heard a sound somewhat akin to a loosely packed sack of potatoes being dropped from a tree, behind us.

We turned around, and there sat a Reticulated Python that I estimated to be about fourteen feet long. And I was very good at estimating things like that back then.

My companion immediately lost all interest in anything except getting away from the python. He ran at incredible speed until he was quite far off, then stopped and began yelling back to me, “Shoot it! Shoot it!”

I saw no reason to shoot the python, so I ignored the admonition and advanced on the snake, wanting to get a good look at it, and maybe, wanting to have a little fun at my companion’s expense, LOL!

When he saw me advancing on the python, my companion seemed to suffer sort of a partial-apoplexy, and began yelling about how far they could strike, half in English, and half in his own language.

I got very, very close to the snake, close enough to touch it, and looked it over well. The snake looked back at me as if he was just as curious about me. But he never made any threatening movements or anything. I was never tempted to raise my rifle. He was a placid fellow. We mutually observed each other, no trouble.

I finally began to worry that my companion might burst a blood vessel in his head, so I backed away and then turned and went down the hill to my companion. He seemed to have ODed on adrenaline or something, so I decided to call it a day and we headed back to home plate. As we journeyed back through the jungle, he recited everything that he had ever learned about Reticulated Pythons while growing up in the area, and also repeatedly suggested that I might be crazy.

I spent the next few days being fervently lectured on the dangers of pythons, every time that I bumped into my companion. I actually felt kind of bad for making him so upset.

But the snake and I parted on good terms. :lol:

Mad Kiwi, RomanS, dkmw and 4 others like this.
  2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

They climb trees too to get to bird nests … really .

haggardfan1 likes this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Our dogs growing up used to kill snakes. They had been barking way out back for some time, so Dad and I went to investigate. They were barking at a black rat snake - 6 1/2 feet long. We had to pull the dogs away and tie them up. We lived in the country, so he probably ate well.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

If it tells you to eat fruit off a specific tree, get the shovel.

You know what to do.

;)

5. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm sorry, but I HAVE to...

6. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Well, yer a poet, but didn't know it, but yer feet sure show it: They're Longfellows!:p:D:rolleyes:

dkmw likes this.
  7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

No sleep for me tonight! :lol:

I grew up in Southeast Texas, near Beaumont. Once my stepmother went to put her key in the front door, and there was a cottonmouth wrapped around the doorknob. Yikes.

Stubee likes this.
  8. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I was an outside tech for AT&T for many years, we would find things like this all the time!
    Snake in phone box.png

haggardfan1, Stubee, dkmw and 4 others like this.
  9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I discovered this info several years ago...

"In Tennessee, it is illegal to harm, kill, remove from the wild, or possess native snakestaken from the wild without the proper permits. Please help the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) to protect our native snakes."
    IMG_1724.PNG

We have several species around the house because we are so wooded...no fun when any of them get under or in the house, but so far only non-poisonous (knocking "Wipeout" on the wood here). I caught a nice sized rat snake in a glue trap under Mrs' jacuzzi tub in the master bath---neither she :eek: nor the snake were pleased. ((Glue trap user tip of the day---critters can be set free by dousing the glue trap with cooking oil--do it outside ;)))

RomanS and bullfrogblues like this.
  10. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I don't think that is a rat snake, it is a black racer. It is also non-poisonous, but highly aggressive and will charge you/bite you (just clean with soap). I'd still let it live in my yard to keep the scary ones away.

Ronzo likes this.
  11. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

That would give me a heart attack!

haggardfan1 likes this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

While it's true that snakes will leave on their own once the rodents are gone, our dog encountered a black snake that hissed at him in our unfinished basement. I immediately bought a bunch of glue traps for the mice, and snake repellent for the snake (it was a mixture of sulfur and cloves, I think) because I don't want any snake in the basement to stay there long enough to figure out how to get up inside the main part of the house where we live...

13. haggardfan1

I am right there with you. Shudder.

I wish there was a way to trap them humanely. My grandfather kept a couple of laying hens after he retired, and anytime he had chicken (rat) snake trouble, he had a ceramic egg he'd found somewhere, and he'd put it in the coop. The snake would eventually eat the egg and perish, whereupon Gramps would find it, cut it open, and retrieve his fake egg for next time. Even though I dislike snakes intensely, that didn't seem fair.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I got rid of the snake in my basement with this stuff.
    IMG_20200701_134902747_HDR.jpg

15. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

My son had a corn snake (related to a red rat snake, but less aggressive) as a pet. When he left for college, he left it in my care. I thought it was a pretty cool pet. I handled him regularly, so he was well accustomed to humans, and was never in the least aggressive to me.

I fed him baby mice, raised in the local pet store for the purpose. Six fuzzies would tide him over for two weeks. He lived in a terrarium in the garage. The families of friends would visit my house in South Florida, and they would always want to handle him under my supervision.

Aside from voraciously feeding, he was a very chill, cool pet. Certainly nothing to be feared.

RIP, Scruffy.

16. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We had a Green Racer that lived around our old house in Rapid City. I first saw it when 'Willie', our cat, had it, sorta, pinned down in our back yard after it had apparently just killed a smaller garter snake and was about to eat it.

I caught the racer and put it in a five-gallon plastic bucket so I could show it to my wife when she came home from work. The snake stayed in the bucket for all of about five seconds, then it was up and over the rim, and was streaking alongside our house at what was about a good walk for me. I let it go.

This Green Racer became an almost daily visitor to the flattop hedge right outside our front door as it lay on the top of the waist-high hedge and warmed itself up in the morning sun. It was a regular around the house for several years, and I looked for it often.

When we moved to our present house almost ten years ago, I worried that the racer would come to a bad ending by the house's new owners if they were typical snake-o-phobes, not realizing, or caring, that green racers are a very beneficial and harmless species.....but the bastards WILL likely bite if messed with.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    haggardfan1 likes this.
  17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

C23BB754-7F31-4FD6-909D-30C2D13312D1.jpeg 4A6C0E41-EBF4-4556-9328-E8046ED60D08.jpeg

I am not afraid of snakes and had a pet green tree snake for awhile as a kid, but I admit I about blew my shorts when I reached to get my cell phone off the charger the other day and encountered this black snake.

We run an animal shelter and boarding kennel, and this guy had found his way into the kennel office/kitchen area before we started closing the building up to run the AC.

My son caught him and relocated him into some bushes outside. I’m all for letting him hang around to be our mouse control technician. But putting your hand on a five-foot snake when you expected to encounter an iPhone...that’ll give a guy a jump!

This one was pretty docile and easy to catch. I caught and relocated a larger one years ago...maybe a six-footer or thereabouts...and it bit my hand, wrapped around my arm, squeezed a bit and crapped all over my shirt. The bite was no big deal; it barely even hurt and after washing it, it didn’t get infected or anything. But getting crapped on and my arm wrapped up was unpleasant. Still, that snake helped keep rats at bay around the poultry feed.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  18. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Corn snakes are second-coolest snakes we have here in Florida. First would have to be Indigo, but they're so rare now most people will never see one.

You should post pics of Scruffy if you have any. Corn snakes are sooo beautiful. And they are just about tame right outta the factory. Most snakes will try and get away from you if you try to touch them (or they'll bite you but that's another story).

A corn snake is so docile that he/she will let you pick them up, and they'll just be kinda limp however you hold them. I visit with each and every one I see. Up close their skin is extremely pretty. And if you look at their belly you'll see why they're called corn snakes;)

I guess I should say that we have two other very cool snakes, but they're venomous. The eastern diamondback and the coral snake certainly have my respect.

Ronzo likes this.
  19. haggardfan1

If I knew that an outdoor cat would fare ok where I live, I'd hire one. When I owned a home kinda in the country, we never saw one snake as long as there were cats in the yard. When time and attrition eventually left us catless, I saw three snakes in two years.

By the way, I told my girlfriend I wanted a mongoose as a late father's day gift. So far the idea has been met with hurtful derision...

:lol:

dkmw likes this.
  20. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Hey Im all brave down here in NZ. Aint no snakes here to be fearful of....im fascinated by them but if they were part of my neighbourhood, probably less so ;)

haggardfan1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.