Texas And Oklahoma Want To Join The SEC?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

The conference most hurt by this news is...the PAC 12. They're in a full-on fight for relevance. They should aggressively court BYU, Oklahoma State, Boise State, etc. They should imagine themselves as the "Western" alternative to the SEC. If your conference isn't chock full of top-30 teams a few years from now, you're not going to matter. Geography no longer matters. The fight to get Baylor and Texas Tech should be ON--they're not going to be a B12 for very long. They both have semi-serious football programs and 1st class basketball programs.

Believer likes this.
  2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Believer, Pcs264 and Blackmore Fan like this.
  3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

No one stays on top forever. Bammer has had The Bear, Stallings, and the best of all, Saban. But Saban is getting old and will not be there forever, and Bammer had to endure a Perkins, Curry, DeBose, Price, and Shula to get to Stallings and Saban.

Even Spurrier blew town on his alma mater when he was having the most success of any UF coach ever because he got burned out there.

The worm will turn, and LSU may be struggling against Texas and Oklahoma in the future. UT has won in the past and with all the talent in the state of Texas, UT, TAMU and OU may become the scourge of the west if those schools land the right coaches and keep that talent there with massive NIL deals.

The NIL deals are going to be a wild card because college players not qualified to graduate from high school can go to a college to play football and become wealthy overnight. What schools can make that wild card work best? I'd wager that those in the most populous states like CA, TX, FL, NY, OH, etc. are well positioned out of the gate.

4. Guitarzan

There is no way to know who will do what in the future. TAMU is getting better with Jimbo and the school has spent a lot on facilities to facilitate high level recruiting. They beat UF last year at home, and stand a good chance to win the west and play for the SEC CG. Saban is not going to rule the west forever.

Mizzou lucked into the SEC East division championship under Pinckney. It suffered a loss when he retired and they have an uphill battle because a lot of better players came from out of state and it is at a disadvantage in recruiting compared to its rivals.

The next SEC TV deal with TX and OU added would be a blockbuster. An expanded nat'l championship system is going to bring in more money and make playing in a better conference more attractive. The state of TX is loaded with talent and UT can recruit and win big when it has the right coaching staff. But it has not had the right staff since Mack Brown's crew was there. UT became impatient and pushed Brown out and has been in the same mess Tennessee has been in since pushing Fulmer out the door.

The NIL is a wild card and schools in the highly populous states (like TX) are well positioned to use it to promise top recruits they will be rich just by signing and playing there for 3 years even if they don't make it big in the NFL. How will schools in relatively smaller, poorer states like Arkansas, Mississippi, S. Carolina, and even stretching it to Missouri compete with that?

As a Georgia alum, I believe adding UT and OU would make it harder for my team to win the SEC and getting back to a national championship game.

5. Guitarzan

As I have said elsewhere, NIL deals for college players will be the wild card. NY is a populous, relatively wealthy state and schools in wealthier states could promise to make players rich and famous as college players and even if they don't make it big in the NFL.

The next "Broadway Joe" could be on the roster at Rutgers or Syracuse.

6. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Texas has been pretty irrelevant for a while. Every year they start out ranked high and slowly drop. I guess them being Texas gets them some sort of respect in the ranking? Kind of like USC, same thing. I think Oklahoma would be a good addition to the SEC but why would they want to make their path to the NCAA championship game harder? makes no sense unless this is not about winning a natty and is about money.

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Hunker Down! My sis and brother are Dawgs and sending my nephew this fall. Georgia is always fun to watch.
    I agree with you about Mack and Texas, people got impatient and they have never been as good since he left. We’ll see what happens with Sark. Texas doesn’t develop its players consistently.
    Mack has done a tremendous job with UNC and I fully expect Carolina will murder Clemson this year. Carolina has the best quarterback in NCAA right now, will be a good season for a lot of teams this year.

Lawdawg likes this.
  8. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Holic

Texas generally seems to be a law unto itself, maybe they should just declare themselves independent. All that conference shifting a few years ago made a real mess of things, it was apparently all about football, in which I have zero interest, but it sure stirred things up for everyone else. I gave up trying to make sense of it when it got to where the Big12 was 10 teams and the big 10 was 12 teams. I had my doubts that college sports would make it through coronavirus; there doesn't seem to be any real logic behind colleges running quasi professional sports programs, but I guess there's a lot of momentum behind it.

9. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

10. Tele T

Tele T Tele-Meister

Its all about MONEY-MONEY-MONEY. Just MONEY...

Believer likes this.
  11. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

There is Football played on Sunday?
    I thought the only football was played down South in the SEC on Saturdays.

ROLL TIDE!

12. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Apparently this is a done deal and the ACC actually courted the same 2 schools earlier.

As a Baylor fan I don’t mind having the 2 best teams out except for the uncertainty of what happens to the Big 12. There are 4-5 SEC teams most years who can beat OU so it’s hard to imagine them in even an 8 game playoff scenario unless the selection committee would take 5 teams of 8 from the same conference. Texas hasn’t been relevant in football in over 15 years.

14. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

TU....Tulsa University, might be able to step up and play in the big12.

15. Guitarzan

The part about UT and OU expressing their intent has gained momentum and is being taken seriously, but the other, material part about the SEC schools voting for expansion and realignment is another story and not a done deal.

16. Guitarzan

17. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

However nice it sounds (wife went to TU) it won't happen. Big 12 will either revert to the Big 8 and hope that one of the remaining teams gets a sniff at the top 12 tournament for the $$ (probably K State, OK State, TCU or Baylor are the ones with a shot, sorry Iowa State, Kansas, Tech, WV). My guess is the Big 12 tries to grab a few teams to add to their lineup as playing with only 8 member schools is a little hairy.

Look for maybe Houston, SMU or even BYU to get a call to join. Personally I would love to see a revisiting of the SWC, but with Texas, A&M, and Ark all in the SEC you don't have the best of the member schools.

The Pac 12 will still be relevant, they will have one team that will come through with a loss or two and get an automatic bid to the tourney, but they have been on the down slide for a while. Remember when Stanford, USC, Oregon and UCLA were all relevant in the landscape?

Also keep in mind that this is not all about football, the basketball for Texas and OU has been good and they will immediately be two of the top teams in the SEC.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Consolidation. The physics of it are interesting. UT has not mattered in awhile and OU has choked on enough games that the SEC folks are probably liking some more historic teams to crush. The NCAA, with the new rulings, may look for a different way to accelerate profit while maintaining amateur athletics by making a super division one where the endorsement rules will provide even more benefits for the athletes.

It could actually benefit the smaller schools, create a new quasi pro class and give the viewer even more options.

Hpilotman likes this.
  19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Iowa state May jump to big 10. Where does big 12 go. What about basketball

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.