Texas And Oklahoma Want To Join The SEC?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

String Tree likes this.
  2. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

That would be great …unless it wouldn’t…in which case …what are they thinking?!?

Bill B, String Tree and nickmsmith like this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

That would be a stupid move for both. They would quickly become irrelevant.

E5RSY, Wally, as5431 and 2 others like this.
  4. Guitarzan

It did not harm TAMU or Missouri. The conference has been revenue from TV (which will get bigger with the next deal), TX has more talent than two SEC teams can absorb, and TX will add a lot of TV watchers.

The existing teams may not enthusiastic because it may cause a realignment in the East/West allocation and may trap TX and OU in the same division prospectively and continuing their rivalry as a national CG game obstacle.

It would almost mean that Alabama and Auburn need to be placed in the SEC East, leave the remaining teams currently in the west there, and have UT and OU join as part of the western division.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  5. Guitarzan

6. Guitarzan

Mark E Rhodes likes this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

As an LSU man, I can say I’d love to see Alabama in the SEC East. We can only rarely get into the SEC championship cause Bama is hogging it. Not that we’d win, because then Bama would be the East champ but hey…it’d just be nice to think there might be a chance.

8. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

They just aren't getting the exposure they once had. Multitudes of homegrown athletes are leaving the area. Nick Saban giving speeches in Texas. Want to be the best, you have to play the best and beat the best. Superconferences. More representation in the coming playoff schemes. JMHO

9. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Texas isn't in the Southeast, and Mizzou ain't either, for that matter. Infuriating.

Pcs264, TelEBaby123, scook and 2 others like this.
  10. Zoso420

Zoso420 TDPRI Member

Go Tigers

985plowboy likes this.
  11. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

too late for UT football at least. What happened to them?!? I guess nobody stays a powerhouse forever. USC, Miami, Michigan used to be dominant programs too.

I guess they figure they’ll get better recruits, since they’ll be able to play against the best, on the big stage. I understand that.

12. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Afflicted

Big 12 is currently 10 schools.
    If OU and Texas leave (and then there are 8 schools), will it still be called Big 12,
    Or would they revert back to the old conference name, Big 8??

getbent and Intubator like this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Bringing in Texas would revive their rivalry with Texas A&M. I’d like to see that. Oklahoma? Meh.

14. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I feel that this would be a stupid move. I still lament the death of the SWC.
    I would love to see the revival of Texas/A&M but the Aggies coach doesn’t want it

Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    I say let Texas leave the B12 (don't let the door hit ya). Then the new arrangement can be financially equitable for ALL the teams in the conference.

16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Seems like a dumb idea. If Oklahoma stays in Big 12 they will continue to win the conference most years, sorry, Texas. If OU moves to SEC they will lose 2-3 games per season indefinitely and never win a conference championship, therefore never be able to play in the national playoffs.
    Texas owns the Longhorn Network, the Big 12 doesn't have a conference network, This means that the most valuable NCAA sports franchise in terms of revenue would lose potentially tens of millions of dollars per year. And also never have a reasonable shot at a conference ship or a national title. Why?

17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

TAMU can't and won't ever win a conference championship again. Missouri is not competitive, ever.
    If TAMU was in a different conference last year they would have been on the inside instead of the outside for playoffs. I'm not an Aggie fan, but they are playing at a much higher level than Texas. Missouri Football at $122M best year to date is near break even, Texas is generally $1.2B and would not financially benefit from more losses and fewer prime time games. OU is also just over $1B. This would be a really dumb move.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  18. EZMFE

EZMFE Tele-Meister

College football needs a complete overhaul. I do (somewhat) still enjoy it, but good god... Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and one other team EVERY. FRIKKING. YEAR. Great for Bama, Clemson and Buckeye fans... not so much for the rest of us.

I'll take NFL--the best football players in the world and a legitimate way of choosing a champion (on the FIELD, not some stupid beauty contest that's voted on).

19. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

If Texas and Oklahoma leave, there won't be a B12 (or Big10 or Big8 version) of that conference. It will quickly collapse. While we've al been pretending to be concerned about "small schools getting a chance", the powers that be have been working more or less together on making sure that the "schools" that will spend the most on college football will get the financial rewards for their spending. That's not really all that surprising if we will all just remember to "follow the money".

What's left of the current B12 will be the equivalent of the Mountain West...if it survives at all. The Fresno States of the college football landscape will eventually have to go large or be left behind. That doesn't make it "right"--its just the way it's going to be.

If we really were concerned about an "even playing field" for college athletics, we should have insisted on it a very long, long, time ago. By our acceptance of the "let's look the other way" attitude towards money's intrusion on college athletics, we bought into this.

I'd love it if Syracuse's football team (as just one example for discussion) mattered...but it doesn't. Yeah, they're in a "major conference", but they're no more relevant than Kansas State is. We let money make the decisions long ago and money is definitely calling the shots now.

I'm fine with it. I knew enough "student athletes" that were living off cash and cars 20 years ago that none of this shocks or amazes me. We put up with this. This is what we get. It'll be great television--we're going to get some great games! But fans of college football teams that aren't *really* top 40 teams should begin to figure out what they're going to do for revenue in the next 5-10 years.

Mark E Rhodes and Believer like this.
  20. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

That's been my position (unpopular in these parts--I live in Oklahoma) for at least 20 years. I want the money on top of the table. I want to know what the players are making, instead of assuming that every skill position player at the major college level is on the take.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021 at 12:59 AM
    EZMFE likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.