Tex Mex Strat Pickups... What Am I Missing?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by PumpJockey, May 24, 2016.

1. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I recently installed a loaded pick guard with a set of Tex Mex pups in one of my favorite Strat builds. I took out a guard with a set of Lace Emeralds (that I really liked). Can't say that I was all that impressed. They sounded thin to me and my ability to tinker with the pickup height was interfered with by the high staggered pole pieces.

When I switch pups I always try to get a nice clean sound (through my Princeton-style amp), figuring that the overdrive sound will be OK after that. The pups sounded OK through both a boost pedal and a Bad Monkey overdrive but I could not get a decent clean tone. Not sure how hot these are wound, but I usually find that hotter winds sound better pushed than clean. Jimmie Vaughan uses them, I think, but his brother may have used something with a lower output and then pushed it with the TS.

I'll mess around for a while longer, but they may be coming back out.

savofenno likes this.
  2. PumpJockey

No ideas? About this: what's the difference between the Tex-Mex and the Texas Special?

savofenno likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

well, TX Specials in a strat to me lack clarity, whereas Tex Mex in a strat give you a little bit of heat but you keep some of the sparkle, to my ear.

I like Tex Mex in a strat, a lot, but don't care at all for TX Specials. YMMV

savofenno likes this.
  4. PumpJockey

Gracias! But I think they are going back on the block... :(

5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

From what I understand, they're basically the pre- Fat '50s USA standard pickup design, built in Mexico with a few more winds on the bridge pickup. I have a set in my '96 Tex-Mex Strat (the pre-Jimmie Vaughan model), I set 'em low (bridge pickup raised slightly) and they sound like a vintage Strat to me.

Strangely enough, I briefly had a '97 Jimmie Vaughan with the same model pickups (built a year later) and that guitar sounded like crap.

telemnemonics and savofenno like this.
  6. italo

italo Tele-Meister

give them one more chance! I suggest modding your wiring to get a tone control on your bridge pickup in order to tame the highs ( very simple mod: just move one wire ala jimmy vaughn ). These pickups sound at best when they are very low in the pickguard. They do have more bite than a standard strat pickup. Best Regards.

savofenno likes this.
  7. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

I've got two Strats with Texas Specials. One is a SRV Strat, the other a made to order CS model with hand wound Texas Specials. Compared to my other CS Strat (Mary Kaye), the sound is a lot more "meaty", i.e. fuller, more complex with plenty of bite.

savofenno likes this.
  8. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I struggled to like the TM pups in my Jimmie Vaughan for years. Thin, brittle, and as you said, the stagger made it impossible to get a good sound. So I recently destaggered them and now they sound great, to my ears, plus I don't catch my fingers on the poles when finger-picking. Also run them very low.

JV Before Poles.jpg JV Flush Poles2.jpg

RodeoTex and wmsimpson like this.
  9. Jarick

Jarick TDPRI Member

They came stock in my California Strat. I really grew to hate them. Very harsh sounding in the mids/upper mids. Total ice pick. I put the guitar away for several years, pulled it out and same thing. So I ripped them out and have tried a couple others in there, all with better results. Rose Mariposa are lower wind that have a nice sparkle and clarity without harshness. Fender Hot Noiseless are more balanced sounding and a bit darker.

10. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

I took them out of my Jimmie Vaughan and stuck a set of 57/62s in. It looks 57-ish and now sounds right. Far more civilised.
    Never thought of de-staggering them. Might give it a try seeing as they're plastic bobbins and there's no chance of wrecking the coils. The Tex Mex bridge is a bit hot though, hotter than the Texas Special bridge.

11. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

I have a MiM Standard FSR Special (70`s style headstock, maple neck) with Tex Mex pickups and i think they sound full, almost fat. I like them, they are in class with Classic 50`s and 60`s Strats pickups, and fattest in tone of those 3. Good cleans too.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    beyer160 likes this.
  12. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Tex-Mex and the Texas Special are different pickups, Special are lower wound ones.

13. blowtorch

I can't say for certain, but I think you may have that backwards. To my ear TX Specials sound "hotter" than Tex Mex, in a strat. FWIW-I've heard that the tele pickups are a whole different thing

telemnemonics and savofenno like this.
  14. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Tex Mex DC Resistance
    Neck: 6.4k ohms
    Middle: 6.4k ohms
    Bridge: 7.4k ohms

Texas Special DC Resistance
    Neck: 6.2k ohms
    Middle: 6.5k ohms
    Bridge: 6.7k ohms

15. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

OK, i have experience only from my Strat with Tex Mex. Those are full and hot enough sounding for me.

16. blowtorch

Agreed. To me, Tex Mex are the way to go in a strat.

savofenno likes this.
  17. PumpJockey

So, we have a unanimous... maybe!

My Strat always had the lower tone controlling the bridge and middle pups, so that didn't help. In fact, it's a TBX so plenty of options. It started out life as a 1995 American Standard. All that's left are the neck/tuners, the guard, the tone controls and the jack.

No dice. I tried setting them low and while there was improvement, still no dice.

I have them up on Reverb. I replaced them with a set of Lace Sensor Emeralds (the ones that are supposed to be "Texas" tone) and a big improvement plus no hum. I replaced the stock volume pot with a CTS with the secret hidden "Rene Martinez" (alleged) mod on it. I call it the sparkle mod, whatever it is, and that pushed the Sensors into SRV territory.. Last night I ran it clean through my MuchXS Princeton Reverb into an external 15" speaker, smeared on the reverb and pushed the signal with a Bad Monkey. Probably as close as I will get to "that tone", pus they sound good in other combinations as well.

My "Fifty Faux" home-brew black guard Tele is feeling jealous!

savofenno likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This right here is IMO the real world side of how the wood influences the amplified sound of an electric guitar.

19. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

This. ^ ^^ I struggled with mine too until I found out you could just slide the poles down and make them all level. Easy fix, and they sound really good low in the guard.

savofenno likes this.
  20. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

I just installed Tex-Mex in my Highway One strat. I got this guitar in 02 or 03 and put a Seymour Duncan Alnico II in right after. I hated it immediately and meant to restore the original eventually. As the years went by, the original pup and pickguard vanished. So a couple weeks ago I got a set of Tex-Mex and had them installed today.
    I've only played them through my Vox Valvetronix in my bedroom, but so far I like them. There are new strings on the guitar and I can hear those coming through the amp, so I'm looking forward to the strings breaking in a bit. I'm not in love with the bridge, but other four positions are great. My fave so far is the middle.

But ya know, a pickup hasn't been invented that everyone loves, so it's hard to recommend one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.