Tex Mex Pick ups..am I going to like these?

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have pushed my poles down also. Not for sound just to even them out. Many say you can destroy a pcikup doing it, but I have never heard first hand of it actually happening ... but be aware.
All my 4 guitars mentioned are silent most of the time. But I have a shielding scheme on all my Teles and Strats.
I like hot pickups, and keep them away from the strings quite a bit. I think the Tex Mex are the hotttest Fender pups out there. They are hotter than Texas Specials. But none are as hot as many HB's.
The question has been asked: What's the best way to press the pole pieces down

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
The question has been asked: What's the best way to press the pole pieces down

Pull the entire pickguard so you can do it right. SUPPORT BACK SIDE OF THE PICKUP buy putting it on top of a block of wood, or something similar. Be sure you don't pinch the wire leads. Push the poles down with anything handy that won't mess up the pickup cover or go through your hand if you slip. Push the poles down until they're flush with the cover. You don't risk messing up the coil because it's wound on a plastic form and the magnets don't touch the coil.

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks. That answered whether or not I need to back it up from behind or not and it sounds like pushing is better than tapping.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I rebuilt a Yamaha Pacifica with a set of Tex-Mex pickups. The neck is absolutely gorgeous clean. Voluptuous sound. That's mostly what I use it for. The bridge is pretty hot, can be great for a Garage Rock sound.

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
I have pushed my poles down also. Not for sound just to even them out. Many say you can destroy a pcikup doing it, but I have never heard first hand of it actually happening ... but be aware.
I like hot pickups, and keep them away from the strings quite a bit. I think the Tex Mex are the hotttest Fender pups out there. They are hotter than Texas Specials. But none are as hot as many HB's.

You can adjust the pole pieces on pickups with plastic bobbins such as the Tex Mex with no risk.
Fiber bobbins such as Fender Custom shop pickups risk being destroyed if you do this.

Fender Deluxe Drive pickups (originally installed in the second generation Highway One) are hotter than Tex Mex. I also like them quite a bit better than Tex Mex at a similar price.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I had a 2-Tone SB Jimmie Vaughan Strat ( '98 first year, bought new), that I believe had the Tex-Mex pickups.
Sadly stolen in 2000.
Really fun player!

Now my only Strat ( and #1 electric) is my 1997 Tex-Mex Strat, bought new, which came with Tex-Mex pickups in it.
But for reasons I really don't remember, replaced. those pickups with Fender Fat '50's around 2000.

All good, but I wouldn't mind playing it now, with originals; just curiosity. ( but leaving a great-sounding guitar alone)

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I was at GC today and saw a stack of Fender Tex Mex Stratocaster pick ups for $69 a set....seems like a good deal except I am not sure I have a use for them. Are these good pick ups?...I could probably find a use for them...this was a knee jerk, spontaneous decision
I bought a Jimmie Vaughan strat back in 2009 or so. Back story: I had seen Jimmie at the Edmonton Labatt Blues Festival in 2004 or so. He was playing his signature strat - no pedals. The pickups have, imo, lots of 'bite' and I really liked them. Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable playing strats; I like the vintage bridge on a telecaster - I need to hook my pinky finger on the underside of the bridge - so I sold it.

My 2017 Fender American Special Telecaster has Tex-Mex pickups. I like them.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I bought a Jimmie Vaughan strat back in 2009 or so. Back story: I had seen Jimmie at the Edmonton Labatt Blues Festival in 2004 or so. He was playing his signature strat - no pedals. The pickups have, imo, lots of 'bite' and I really liked them. Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable playing strats; I like the vintage bridge on a telecaster - I need to hook my pinky finger on the underside of the bridge - so I sold it.

My 2017 Fender American Special Telecaster has Tex-Mex pickups. I like them.
I do the exact same thing

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
All pickups are a matter of personal opinion and they're sound can change with height adjustment, wiring and electronics.