Tex Mex Pick ups..am I going to like these?

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I was at GC today and saw a stack of Fender Tex Mex Stratocaster pick ups for $69 a set....seems like a good deal except I am not sure I have a use for them. Are these good pick ups?...I could probably find a use for them...this was a knee jerk, spontaneous decision

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I should have added, I have these pickups in strats.
CS Texas Special
Tex Mex (also have a set in a tele that I really like)
Fat 50's
Robert Cray set
Early 80's Dimarzio set

These sets all sound different, I probably like the Cray set the best. The Tex Mex's do not sound cheap at all, they hang right in there.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
They are what I like above all. In both Strats and Teles actually. Strat sets are often $79 for 3. So I don't know if that's a panic buy bargain or not.
Have them in 2 strats and 2 teles currently.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The only thing I would say is, the bridge pickup seems to benefit from having a Fralin or similar base plate affixed to it.

They work for me; I'd say they compete well with considerably more expensive pickups. They look cheap, that's the basic downside and they don't impress the cork sniffers.

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
I put a set in a Strat. I couldn't seem to dial in a sound that I like and planned on replacing them. I didn't get around to it and over time have really come to appreciate them. I like a more vintage sound but it's nice to have something a little different than my others. To me, they sound best when set very low.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
They are what I like above all. In both Strats and Teles actually. Strat sets are often $79 for 3. So I don't know if that's a panic buy bargain or not.
Have them in 2 strats and 2 teles currently.
I would usually see them for $100...$69 is low risk...I'm excited to try them now

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
You lost me at strat.....

I remember them being decent. Good with drive and crunch. But I'm not a strat guy, so grain of salt, etc.
Yea I hear ya....I'm a Tele guy all the way but I do have a couple of Strats that need enhancement. Who knows maybe I will become more of a Strat guy

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I put a set in a Strat. I couldn't seem to dial in a sound that I like and planned on replacing them. I didn't get around to it and over time have really come to appreciate them. I like a more vintage sound but it's nice to have something a little different than my others. To me, they sound best when set very low.
One other post said the same thing about setting low...I like pups that set low so they aren't in my way

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Tex-Mex pickups are relatively high output. They’re good if that’s what you like. High output single coil pickups tend to be noisy. You’ll learn to recognize 60 cycle hum and distinguish it from RF.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That's an interesting mod...I will keep that in mind

Tex-Mex pickups are relatively high output. They’re good if that’s what you like. High output single coil pickups tend to be noisy. You’ll learn to recognize 60 cycle hum and distinguish it from RF.
I have pushed my poles down also. Not for sound just to even them out. Many say you can destroy a pcikup doing it, but I have never heard first hand of it actually happening ... but be aware.
All my 4 guitars mentioned are silent most of the time. But I have a shielding scheme on all my Teles and Strats.
I like hot pickups, and keep them away from the strings quite a bit. I think the Tex Mex are the hotttest Fender pups out there. They are hotter than Texas Specials. But none are as hot as many HB's.