1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Testing Tru Oil with Winsor & Newton Winton Oil Paints

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Ragged Tweed, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Winton is the Squier to Winsor & Newton's Fender. Notice the word "hue" in the paint name? That's a dead giveaway that lower quality, less durable pigments are used. Real cadmium is very expensive, and also quite toxic.
    There would have been no issues whatsoever with mixing linseed oil, even partially catalyzed linseed like Tru-Oil, and safflower oil, btw. Artists mix multiple varieties of oil, along with varnish, all the time. Different oils vary in thickness ("stiffness"), transparency, drying time, and tendency to yellow over the long term, and those qualities can be "customized" by mixing in different proportions.
    I've even mixed oil-based stains, artist paints, turpentine, cobalt driers, and Tru-Oil together, sanding the whole thing into a slurry for a partial grain-filling effect. I had rags, brushes, sandpaper, and a scraper all going at once. It worked just fine.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Ragged Tweed likes this.
  2. mojavedesert

mojavedesert Tele-Meister

The mystery beautiful color in artists color, is flake white. It has lead in it, it's beauty however is unrivaled. When mixed, it makes colors luminous. (skull icon here)

Ragged Tweed likes this.
  3. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

That's very true. Lead is an excellent vehicle for vibrant colors. Flake white also has a "ropey" quality that's good for certain styles, particularly impasto (thick, layered paint with visible brush or palette knife marks).

Ragged Tweed likes this.
  4. Ragged Tweed

Ragged Tweed TDPRI Member

89DF2FA1-3507-49E3-8DBC-3FA2F655AA85.jpeg FEB649EB-C6BF-470E-8136-FC1917E03F37.jpeg 065D0ED8-E691-4FC4-93B9-546CA3EB93E1.jpeg

old wrench likes this.
  5. Ragged Tweed

Update: I ended up spraying nitro with a combination of Mohawk White Wash and Mohawk Blonde.

I’m satisfied with the color and finish, but wanted to post a comparison in case anyone was trying to make decisions on color and finish.

Nitro was another learning curve and level of commitment— respirator, hygrometer, tarps to create a makeshift “spray room,” etc. so Tru Oil is definitely easier to work with.

(I may even prefer the color tone that I got with the Naples Yellow Hue/Tru Oil! It looks great with the white pick guard. The Mohawk blonde looks “better” with the black pickguard. It’s all subjective, of course, and what we’ve come accustomed to seeing...)

LetItGrowTone and scook like this.
  6. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

Thank you. Very interesting.

Ragged Tweed likes this.
  7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

I think the color looks excellent!

This (Mohawk Blonde Toner) is one of my favorite finish products, with or without using the White-Wash. :)

It's a great color, and application couldn't be much easier. Just as it comes out of the can, it's diluted enough so you can easily control the level of transparency and show just the right amount grain that you prefer.

@Ragged Tweed, you mentioned that your grain filler (Timbermate) didn't seem to hang in there through the subsequent steps of coloring and TruOil. I've found that applying a coat or two of sanding sealer or vinyl sealer over the grain filler will lock the grain filler in place :).

Ragged Tweed likes this.
  8. Ragged Tweed

[

Thank you!

Your suggestion makes perfect sense. I used Mohawk Sanding Sealer spray after the grain filler (also Mohawk brand— I stuck with the same brand to make sure everything was compatible) and before the white wash toner and the blonde toner. This produced much better results.

I will keep this in mind the next time I use TruOil as well!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.