1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Testing Tru Oil with Winsor & Newton Winton Oil Paints

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Ragged Tweed, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Ragged Tweed

Ragged Tweed TDPRI Member

3CFB19F6-DDD0-482D-8D77-6FB414585682.jpeg 40BC8CC5-FCC4-47D8-B1D3-BAD72E100B11.jpeg I wanted to post some of my tests in case other people are curious about tinting Tru Oil with oil paints.

My ultimate goal is to finish a swamp ash body with something close to blonde or butterscotch blonde finish without using spray equipment. I finished a mahagony body with Tru Oil a few years ago and was satisfied with the results.

I learned that mixing oil paints with Tru Oil was possible by reading other people's posts, but it was difficult to find a lot of images or exact procedures/techniques.

I’ll start with my first mistake: I bought a tube of Winsor & Newton ARTISTS’ color (Naples Yellow Deep), but realized it does not use linseed oil as its vehicle for the pigment. (Others have mentioned that Tru Oil's main ingredient is linseed oil.) You'll see a photo of this color applied on a piece of scrap oak without any Tru Oil at all. (I just wanted to see what the color would look like.) I didn't like the color and I didn’t bother mixing it with Tru Oil because by then I had figured out that it was not linseed oil based.

Winsor & Newton WINTON paints DO use linseed oil so it should blend with Tru Oil better.

2. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

You have peaked my interest. I will be watching this thread for more info.

mgreene and Ragged Tweed like this.
  3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

+1

Ragged Tweed likes this.
  4. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

+1
    Thanks.

Ragged Tweed likes this.
  5. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

I have tried this. I used it to get a body that took a black stain unevenly pitch black. Dont forget to get some drier.

Ragged Tweed and tubegeek like this.
  6. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

Watching

7. Ragged Tweed

I was able to find Winsor & Newton WINTON oil paint tubes at a local arts and crafts store. I used the W&N’s website to choose 3 colors that seemed close to a blonde.

ljdellar posted that he used about a pinky finger of oil paint per 8 oz of Tru Oil.

I had an 2-3 year old 32 oz. bottle of Tru Oil from a previous project. So I poured it into water bottles, 4 oz. each. I used about a half pinky finger of paint per bottle.

My Tru Oil was pretty dark (maybe because it was old?) but it mixed with the paints pretty well.

I did all of my tests so far on a piece of ash, which was “pickled” with 3 coats of Minwax white wash. ($10 at box store.).

I grain filled with Timbermate (natural color) before the white wash. I need to get better at grain filling. I think the white wash pulled the grain filler out. At this stage I don’t care because I’m more concerned about color right now.

Attached Files:

RiversQC likes this.
  8. Ragged Tweed

More pictures...

Attached Files:

9. Ragged Tweed

I like the tone of WINTON Naples the best, out of the tube and mixed in the bottle.

Notice the difference between the WINTON tube and the ARTISTS’ tube.

Attached Files:

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. mojavedesert

mojavedesert Tele-Meister

I would let paint that you plan to use to sit on a piece of paper towel or news paper so it wicks some of the extra oil out of the paint. Colbalt drier is what is used to speed up drying. A very small amount like a drop or two. You can thin it with mineral spirits, or gum turpentine ( which is sticky), acetone, small amount to make the color thin and runny . Acetone will breakdown the binder, the oil binder. Which can be a good thing, since you are replacing the true oil as the binder.

Ragged Tweed likes this.
  11. RolandG

RolandG Tele-Meister

I’ve done similar tests with Windsor and Newton oil paint pigments using Osmo 3032 rather than Tru-Oil. This meant I could use light colours, including white.

[​IMG]

Ragged Tweed likes this.
  12. Ragged Tweed

Than
    Thanks! I’ll add Cobalt drier to the shopping list!

13. Ragged Tweed

Wow! Those colors are great! I’ve never heard of OSMO 3032. Thanks for the info!

14. ljdellar

ljdellar TDPRI Member

Looking
    Looking forward to seeing how it turns out, bro.

I did not use any drier at all, just waited for it to dry, about 24 hrs.

LJ

Ragged Tweed likes this.
  15. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

Wow, that is surprisingly close to a blonde finish. I do have a question though, is it possible to get it thinner so that you can see the grain, or is it only for a more solid finish?

Ragged Tweed and Jlwctn like this.
  16. Ragged Tweed

I put one thin coat of each bottle on the white washed ash.

The Cadmium looks like a French’s mustard stain. I couldn’t really see any difference between the Naples and the Raw Sienna, but maybe you would see a difference when you apply more coats.

Attached Files:

17. Ragged Tweed

I hope so. That’s what I’m aiming for— half opaque/half transparent finish.

When you mix it with the Tru Oil it is very thin. I might try a thicker mix next time.

GeminiCG likes this.
  18. Ragged Tweed

I tried putting the Naples paint directly onto the white washed ash and then I used just a bit of Tru Oil on a tee shirt rag to rub it into the wood. Much better! Definitely NOT a butterscotch, but I’m very pleased with the result. I think this color would look great with a white pick guard. I’ll add more layers tomorrow.

Attached Files:

RiversQC and scook like this.
  19. Ragged Tweed

One more coat, applied directly, then rubbed in with Tru Oil on a tee shirt. I like the color now. For me, I’d stop here and then do 6-7 more layers/coats of straight Tru Oil. If I decide to do this on my guitar body, I’ll be sure to spend more time on grain filling.

So, here’s how I got to this:

1. Grain filled with natural color Timbermate.

2. Three coats of Minwax White Wash. (They’ve recently changed the label— that threw me off the chase for a day or two. It used to be called “pickling.” I followed the directions on the can and made sure I wiped it off after about 2 minutes.)

3. Apply paint from tube directly, then rub in with Tru Oil on a tee shirt.

4. Let dry 24 hours. Repeat step 3.

5. Add layers of Tru Oil to your taste. (There are plenty of posts/opinions about Tru Oil finishing techniques.)

Attached Files:

MartialArtsGirl, RiversQC and scook like this.
  20. Ragged Tweed

I decided to try something else on the other side of my test board.

Same process as before but this time I used walnut colored Timbermate to bring out the grain a little more.

Rubbing the Raw Sienna and Cadmium directly into the wood yielded better results though I’m still partial to the Naples color.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.