Testing the Custom Shop Waters

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by DerekMcTele, May 1, 2014.

1. DerekMcTele

DerekMcTele Tele-Meister

I just spoke to a dealer and sent them my CS worksheet. I don't know how long it usually takes for the CS to respond with cost / time-frame, but I have started the process.

I have had and sold some nice fenders but they haven't been exactly what I want, which is basically a old school look with modern wiring and neck. So I have decided to look into the custom shop and have sent a request for:

Model: 2010 Tele Pro
    Neck: To match my 2012 American Deluxe Tele (w/ rosewood board)
    Option: Double bound Shell Pink (NOS)

Simple . . . right. :rolleyes:

My only concern is:

What will be the CS price to provide a CS neck that is a standard production shape and profile?

HappyHwy1owner likes this.
  2. DerekMcTele

DerekMcTele Tele-Meister

Well that was fast. 23 hours from my call with the proposal to the shop calling me back with Fender's answer. The additional cost was the same as for the double binding and a compound radius fretboard. I also felt that the discount from MSRP was fair.

So the order is in and only 3-5 months until estimated completion. Does anyone know how accurate the recent estimates have been?

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  3. Pips

Pips Tele-Holic

Sounds great - now the wait. Keep us posted.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Double bound Shell Pink? That is going to pop!

5. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Not a big deal for them to copy any neck profile, cost should run about their usual pricing...

6. frogger

frogger Tele-Holic

Sounds great! Some slam CS here but every single one I own is simply a great sounding and playing guitar. Not all CS guitars are exceptional but most are. :)

7. euro

euro Tele-Holic

I have a shell pink Vigier strat type at home and have a shell pink chambered tele ordered.
    You are going to love that color!
    I hope your new guitar is just what you want. Enjoy.

8. DerekMcTele

DerekMcTele Tele-Meister

I mentioned this in another thread but I probably should here also. We had some sudden expenses a couple of weeks ago that negated my disposable income for a while and has required a sell off. This order had to be cancelled which meant the loss of my deposit, which stinks, but will mean that I don't have to come up with the remaining cash any time soon.

I am down to one guitar now but it is a newly arrived Kirn Barnbuster which is definitely a keeper. Hopefully pretty soon I will be down to one amp.

On a positive note, a simple life is a good life. I have a nice Kirn Tele and a Fender GB Amp, so there is nothing to really complain about. I am blessed.

9. tlp123

tlp123 Tele-Meister

Sorry for your loss...

Know that there are some making excellent "T-type" guitars out there.

I tried some of the $4K-$6K fender cs offerings, and wasn't impressed for the price.

Oh sure "bragging rights" and all, and astonishingly a certain market bears that price and above for fender custom shop works.

Thanks kinda cash will buy some outstanding guitars. Some for slightly less cash, and much better value than the proverbial "real thing".

I too used to be hung up on "the name", but found in the last 10 or so years guys like James Tyler, Suhr, Stefan D'Pergo, just to name a few (and there are many more) are making fabulous guitars.

Fender makes good stuff, but they make so many. And their custom shop is over-hyped, and just like anyone else, even after you've carefully spec'd out something, paid stupid money, and wait...and wait....and wait some more, your expectations still may not be met in the end.

Nothing to brag about, but "been there" "done it", suffered the loss selling a $7,000 shiny piece of "six string furniture" at a loss because it just wasn't "it".

some things to think about.............

10. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Just curious, which CS Fenders have you owned and what other guitars do you have that you consider “better value”? What is better about them?

Among other things, I have owned a nice PRS American Eagle I and a John Suhr Classic (both sold now). Both were very high quality guitars but I always found myself migrating back to the Fender’s and Gibson’s for a variety of reasons. Tone, neck profile, feel, looks, etc.

I know “better” is a subjective term. Maybe “preferable” is more appropriate.

11. tlp123

tlp123 Tele-Meister

Treated self to a couple of things....

Swore some years back I'd never buy anything with Fender on it again. They just have so many made, so inconsistent.

But....the one pictured caught my interest. Wasn't looking for one. Just happened September 2017@GC off LBJ in Dallas, TX on my way home from Shreveport Louisiana. I played it and could hardly put it down. I was astonished at how much I liked the way it played and sounded unplugged. Feather light too! Bright-tight-spanky. The classic Tele sound that has always been in my head! I could feel every note ring just holding and playing it. After all these years, it just didn't make sense to me!!! Put it back....figured I didn't need it. Couldn't stop thinking about it after a month. Went back to GC. It was still there. Plugged it in this time into a Marshall Silver Jubilee half stack. Played it for over an hour in the store. Apologized to the sales guy for staying so long, and took it home.

IMG_0132.JPG

Ron Garson, Trio and FenderLover like this.
  12. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

NICE!!! I dig it. There is just a giant leap to the Custom Shop, wether it is Fender, Gibson, whatever.

Congrats!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.