Testing neck pickup on 4 way

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by gobi_grey, Jan 23, 2020.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Everything is soldered into place. When I pull back the cloth and test the yellow and black wires it reads 8.23. The kicker is, it only reads this with the switch on bridge position. If I switch it to neck, I get zeros. ??? It shouldn't matter where the switch is at. I'm testin the leads before they get to the switch. I'm really confused. HELP!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Did you separate the black wire from the cover ground and establish a new ground to the cover?

gregulator450 likes this.
  3. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

The neck pickup has a ground for the cover, yes.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If the pickup is in the circuit, you may be testing the other parts in the system. 250k pot is much larger than a 7k pickup. Switch to bridge and you disconnect the neck and the neck should read correctly when measured directly at the pickup. Switch to neck and measure the bridge pickup directly.

Or plug a guitar cable in the guitar, clip the meter leads on the other end of the cable and switch to neck (plus dime/max volume and tone) you should read neck pickup, switch to bridge, you should get that, switch to parallel you should get about half of their average kohms, and switching to series you should get both coils added together.

Next test is change the meter to volts, one of the smallest voltage scales, and bring a screwdriver shaft sideways 'at' and 'away' from the face of a pickup and depending on where the switch is set you should see one pickup has the reverse voltage polarity of 'at' or 'away' that the other pickup has. If not you need to swap the leads hot vs ground on the neck pickup.

Wally likes this.
  5. Wally

apologies for being this way, but I want to understand what is there. All neck pickup covers have a ground. That cover is tied to one end...the black wire...of the pickup winding. Did you separate that black winding lead from the pickup cover and establish a separate wire for the cover to ground?

6. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, I'm not real sure what you mean about the screwdriver part, I cant test anything if I'm moving a screwdriver around at the same time. Not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing there.
    The neck pickup attracts steel on the top.
    When I switched around the hot and cold I got:
    (1.bridge)(2.bridge)(3.neck)(4.neck)
    It's supposed to be:
    (1.bridge)(2.parallel)(3.neck)(4.series)
    With the neck wired correctly I get nothing at all and the output jack/cable end reads zeros.

I purchased the neck pickup with the extra ground so it has yellow, black and a grey wire which is the cover ground.

Wally likes this.
  7. Wally

Thanks.
    then, ime, the wiring is not correct. Sometimes we need to walk away from a problem and come back with a clear mind and a fresh outlook. One of the traps when dealing with this type of situation is that we humans are very likely to look at our work and overlook a mistake which we have made. If the wiring and all components were correct, then the circuit would work, ime.

bender66 likes this.
  8. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I also don't understand when you are supposed to have the pickup selected for testing and when you are supposed to select off of the pickup for testing. I'm trying to follow down the line.
    I get ground from my neck pickup all the way to the jack. The neck pickup loses ground at the switch. I get the proper reading at the lug that it's soldered to but lose it when I test any other lug on the switch.

9. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Haha, I've walked away every night for 3 weeks now. I just want my tele back. I talked to my tech on the phone last night. I might end up taking it down to him but he's almost an hour away.

10. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Testing the bridge pickup with the switch in the neck position, one probe on the top right switch terminal(bridge hot) and one probe on the volume pot output, I get a reading of 7.34. Why is it showing a reading? The switch is in the neck position and I'm testing on the volume out. There shouldn't be anything from the bridge pickup this far down the line when the neck is selected.

11. Wally

12. Wally

I don’t understand what you are testing? When I want to verify whether or not a circuit that I have just built works, I test at the output. If I want to test the output of the switch, I test from the switch output/input to the volume pot to ground. If and when I find a problem, then I trace back to find...wait for it....MY error. I have to admit at such a point that I have made a mistake or the switch has a problem. I have found my mistakes....I have never seen a new switch that was bad. It could happen, though. at this,point, a couple or three really good pictures are what someone would need to help further, it seems.

13. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

What setting do you use on the multimeter? I've been using 20k ohm setting. Checking from the pickups back to the jack. That seems to test ground. Not sure how to test the hot. I'm just trying to find the mistake so I can fix it. I can't keep soldering and resoldering from guesses of what it could be. My work gets messier and messier everytime I resolder. I don't have a solder sucker so it's becoming a mess fast. No store in town sells them for some reason.

14. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Seems possible that something on the switch wiring is mixed up.

15. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

If I test from the switch output to ground, I should get the reading of the selected pickup right? Using 20k ohm setting?

Wally likes this.
  16. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I've been staring at it for 3 weeks. I've talked with my tech verifying each connection. The switch is wired correctly. There might be a bad solder joint on the switch maybe? I need to find the exact location before I go at it again with the iron.

17. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Quite possible, I had one with some dead weirdness and it was one of the crossover wires on the switch
    that looked fine visually. When touched though, it was loose at one switch lug. Another time a solder strand extended over touching an adjacent lug shorting out sound. It was barely visible.
    It is also possible to have a pickup output wire soldered to the switch that looks fine but beneath the
    solder isn't making proper contact. Usually reflowing the solder corrects this.

Wally likes this.
  18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hard as it may be, I suggest getting a good diagram of a 4-way harness, and studying it for as long as it takes to truly understand how it works. Ironically, at that point you won't need a pre-wired harness, but there ya go.

Then, look at the one you bought with fresh eyes, beginning to end, assuming nothing. Pretend you're wiring one up from scratch.

Apologies if I'm mistaken, but isn't this the second harness you've got from this seller? Pretty sure I offered the 'bad solder joint' option for the first harness. Seems SO unlikely for that, or a bad switch, on TWO harnesses.

It's really difficult for us to help with photos, and on your end, difficult to solve when you don't know how it's supposed to work.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  19. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I've been staring at it. My brain hurts. I kind of get what's going on but I'm not a tech. I've been learning from you guys which is helping me a lot.
    20200124_154600.jpg
    20200124_154517.jpg

20. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

20200124_154544.jpg
    20200124_154535.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.