Tested a unique T style today

ieatlions

Tele-Afflicted
*Not tryna sell anything here, just sharing a good day.

My mate is a luthier and he’s put together a run of Tele’s and Strats for a retailer here in the U.K., also some lap steels for none other than the pedal show fellas.

I got to test out and give him some thoughts and feedback on the Tele style guitars today. This was my pic of the bunch..

9DD08BEB-1BA8-4277-A492-45547CED7033.jpeg

Specs:
Neck was 1/4 sawn cherry with a walnut fingerboard, the body is sycamore with a 3/4 pine top. Frets are by Boston fret wire very similar to Dunlop "wide higher". 12” radius and profile was a super comfy C, maybe a touch fuller than modern Fender C. Absolutely gorgeous neck. Weighing about 6.5lbs!! The finish is Fiddes HD base, High density cellulose sanding sealer.

I’ve never played a Tele with those specs personally, hence why I found the experience unique. Guitar played and sounded amazing. Everything you want from a Tele. I will mention the aesthetics, which being completely honest do nothing for me. I think it’s quite tasteful but just not my cup of tea.

This Was an eye opener for me in terms of what a Tele should be. Really showed me that a Tele doesn’t have to be swamp ash or alder and have a maple neck to have that quintessential tele sound and feel. I convince myself I’m open minded on these matters but at heart I’ve always secretly nurtured those preconceptions, until today.

Same friend built me my first T style partcatser, back in 2020 which is an excellent example:
D9566BE0-89AD-4BD5-9D0F-8790D178AC3E.jpeg

Bit of a long post from me, thanks for reading fellas 👍

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
We would hear more of these teles. Do you have more pictures? Do you have a link to the luthier’s website?

Jay Jernigan

Tele-Afflicted
I like it. If it sounds good, plays good, it is good. And I am in complete agreement about the woods. Doesn't have to be traditional to work well.

Orpheum

Tele-Meister
Very appealing guitar!
I'd like to have more details on this instrument, the luthier and his other builds... I can read "G.S. Hunt" on the headstock, but it didn't lead to anything with Google.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
I am sure that Fender (like any manufacturer) chose swamp ash and alder because those woods were readily available at that time and in quantity and were economically cheap enough and not necessarily for their tonal aspects. They only had to be hardwoods. You don't see many mahogany bodies on their early guitars.

Therefore, any wood could be used if in ample supply and you could build the guitars within a price point. Because swamp ash and alder is what we are used to, we think that is the only acceptable choice out there. I built a pinecaster that sounded every bit as good as an alder body that many were poo pooing at that time. I am not seeing that so much anymore.

By the way, your friend is building some pretty enticing guitars there. Good job!

gregulator450

Friend of Leo's
I am sure that Fender (like any manufacturer) chose swamp ash and alder because those woods were readily available at that time and in quantity and were economically cheap enough and not necessarily for their tonal aspects. They only had to be hardwoods. You don't see many mahogany bodies on their early guitars.

Therefore, any wood could be used if in ample supply and you could build the guitars within a price point. Because swamp ash and alder is what we are used to, we think that is the only acceptable choice out there. I built a pinecaster that sounded every bit as good as an alder body that many were poo pooing at that time. I am not seeing that so much anymore.

By the way, your friend is building some pretty enticing guitars there. Good job!

I think you're dead-on here. I can't remember the name of the book I read detailing the early electric guitar manufacturers, but it talked about Leo using whatever woods he could get his hands on for the best price. I seem to remember reading that the factory was in close proximity to furniture manufacturers and he would often buy wood from them or their suppliers.

ieatlions

Tele-Afflicted
Very appealing guitar!
I'd like to have more details on this instrument, the luthier and his other builds... I can read "G.S. Hunt" on the headstock, but it didn't lead to anything with Google.

I think a website is planned. I’ll keep you posted.

Meanwhile here’s a custom job that’s in the works:

0AC43CDD-4D44-4B0A-B6F9-E52FFCCB14B4.jpeg

ieatlions

Tele-Afflicted

I See Pine Tele’s cropping up alot lately. The lightweight is obviously an appealing factor. I’d consider a pine body myself as the ones I’ve heard have all sounded great.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Sweet! He obviously knows what he's doing. Great lookers! #6 has a rather strange control route from what I can see. Is there something special he plans to put in there or something?

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Cool!

DuPont is located right down the road

You can still see an old mill where they used to make gunpowder and such

VicUA

TDPRI Member
Vendor Member
I See Pine Tele’s cropping up alot lately. The lightweight is obviously an appealing factor. I’d consider a pine body myself as the ones I’ve heard have all sounded great.
That’s true. The pine body has very open and bright sound. We sold lot of pine bodies in last year. Mostly earliest models (49-50) from prototypes#1 to Broadcaster and custom pickups modifications in those shape. And the best tone is with blanks from bottom part of the tree. Yes, it a little bit heavier (more resin contain) but so power in a sound.