Test your hearing online, and freak out!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jmiles, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

11k. My ears are shot. I wish I could wear earplugs, but they make me sing flat.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

After I took the test through headphones with the volume high, I noticed some other stuff on the page:

"Attention! Always make sure headphones/ speakers are set to a low volume to avoid damage to hearing or equipment."

Just like our ability to hear, the fact that something is right in front of us and we have the functioning sensory equipment, does not mean we will notice the details.

3. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

As a boy, I could hear the neighbor's dog whistle. It seemed to have no location (I only recall hearing it when the neighbor was on the other side of the house, or something). It also didn't seem to start and stop clearly. Additionally, it was as much a feeling or atmosphere as a sound.

Alert: old, dusty memory returns. In high school, we had a practice space inside a recreation building. Down the hill below us was a park that hosted a lot of civic-minded stuff, like the dog show we saw one day. I can't remember what actually happened, but we certainly did think about getting a dog whistle and blowing it though our PA, which had to be aimed right. I don't think we acted on this, though, since the cut-off frequency of the PA was limited by our Shure 545s, Dual Showman PA head, and our homebuilt Voice of the Theatre speaker enclosures. I still have a mental image of the dogs running around as if in a Disney movie.

4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

More info on these fun homemade voice of theatre speakers! Haha

5. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

The last time I had a hearing test, the doctor looked at the results and said,

"well, you seem to be functioning...somehow."

6. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Could hear all the way to about 10,000. Couldn't hear anything until above 400. So I guess I'm not doing so bad.

I was using a good pair of headphones though.

7. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

:D Yeah, but the thing is, we may not be able to hear our wives, but womens hearing range is so high they can hear us think! In fact they can also hear emotions - which is right up there where sound frequencies turn into light… it's true! :eek: :lol:

8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

There was a guy in town who later grew up to be a carpenter/woodworker/homebuilder. He made these mini VOT cabs that we would rent when starting out. I took the measurements, then got a 5' x 8' plywood board and cut it up and put it together. For the curved wooden horn, I took a piece of 1/4" plywood and used a rotary saw set to a depth of 1/8". I made a cut every 3/8 - 1/2 inches, which allowed me to bend the plywood into a curve. I apologize for my bad vocabulary, but I wound up not following in the footsteps of my father, who taught me the ways of the garage.

Put in 15" JBL in each cabinet. We had no concept of frequency response. They were loud enough, with a Dual Showman for a head, and looked very cool. A year later, we joined up with an organist would had his own home-built PA. In fact, in the 60s, weren't most PAs for bands home-built?

9. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

A mate just informed me that my computer speakers won't produce any frequencies higher than that anyway so I may be better than that. :idea:

10. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I'm 40, and could pretty easily still hear at 15,500, but above 16K it was difficult to really be sure if I was hearing anything or not.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Just gave my tinutiits a new tone...hope not for weekend...oh well
    I asked for it..

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I got to 15.5k on some crappy ear buds.

13. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

Quit your Braggin'!.....;)

14. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

9000....one nearfiedtspeaker at low volume. I've had psychic tinnitus for a while that disapeared when I got panic free. I'm 50. My hearing was litle below average when I was 18 and was checked for military service

15. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

It went out at 9,000 and back in around 11,000 and then back out about 11,500.
    I didn't use headphones.
    When I spent 20 years in a truck and heavy equipment shop as a mechanic, we had our hearing checked annually. I had super excellent ears in the beginning but along the way I lost ground in the high mid range.
    It may have had something to do with pounding on 12 foot snow plow bells with a sledge hammer amoung every other thing one could beat on.
    I miss my super hearing that has been replaced by a slight tinnitus.
    Way back in grade 5 we were tested for our ability to differentiate between slight differences in tone. We weren't told why.
    The next year they had put all the good hearing folks in one class who had to take music and had to be in the school band.
    We were a pretty good band. Perhaps there was wisdom in that.
    I'll have to try that again with headphones on my good computer later.
    The box is behind an insulated wall so no fan noise is present and the headphones are high quality pumped through a soundblaster Zx. Nice sound.
    The fact that the range lost is similar to sound proof booth testing results for me says this has merit. I just have to know...
    ASIO and great sound: http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sound-blaster-zx.aspx Confirmed.

16. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

W/ a sample size of 28 thus far, we have a strong linear trend of hearing w/ age w/ R-squared of 55%. P-value 5.7 x 10^-6. Follows the population average on that website closely. I couldnt find age data for 13 of you :) Some leveraging is happening due to the age gap between 28 and 40. For folks who responded w/ values for each ear, I averaged em.

Attached Files:

17. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Got to 14,000 holding my iPhone next to my ear, then nothing. I'm 52 but only a closet guitarist.

18. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

waparker,
    I'm the OP, and I'm 68.

19. scat4me

scat4me Tele-Afflicted

I was shocked. Took the test 4 times. Didn't hear a beep the first 3. Once I un muted went up to 16000

20. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

As long as I can still hear Kanye I ain't deaf enough

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.