Terrible unfortunate accident. Injury. Need some advice.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
Insurance companies have invested tons of money into convincing people that all lawyers are bad, and that there is something shameful about seeking justice against companies that hurt people. As you can tell from some of the posts here, their efforts have been very effective. Call a reputable lawyer and get some professional guidance.

Poster Extraordinaire
I have to respectfully disagree on that. He's at his mom's house, he wants the installation to go well, and the guy pokes his head in and asked him to do something that he should never have asked him to do.

What if John was at the hospital with his mom while she was having a surgery, and the surgeon comes out and says "hey can you hold this forcep for me while I do this incision"? Would you blame John if he went ahead and did it?

...and he chose to do it. His hand wasn't forced. I bet he wouldn't have in the latter case, but I think he would defer to the assistance of a Healthcare professional. If I fall on ice that someone didn't treat, duh!, it's winter. Totally on me.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
...and he chose to do it. His hand wasn't forced. I bet he wouldn't have in the latter case, but I think he would defer to the assistance of a Healthcare professional. If I fall on ice that someone didn't treat, duh!, it's winter. Totally on me.
I really think a jury would decide that the "professional" should have never poked his head in and asked the son of an elderly mother to come out and help him remove an 18 ft steel garage door. I think any PI attorney would take this in a heartbeat

Poster Extraordinaire
I really think a jury would decide that the "professional" should have never poked his head in and asked the son of an elderly mother to come out and help him remove an 18 ft steel garage door. I think any PI attorney would take this in a heartbeat

I would be ashamed to not take responsibility for my own decisions. That's despicable. There's nobody to blame but me.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
John, you need to get to a doc asap. Get a full exam, with X-rays, and whatever else they recommend, and yes, the garage door company should pay for all of it, and whatever further treatment is required. And if they don’t want to, you get litigious, and it ends up costing them way more.

I’m sorry you’re hurting, my friend. This never should have happened. He never should have had you out there to begin with.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
Sounds like you're a nice guy giving some person a hand. Stupid idea to get involved in what is essentially a commercial contract between repairer and your mother. I don't think you'll be compensated. It was totally wrong of that man to get a bystander involved'
He should have had a co-worker employed for a reasonably large garage door and I can't see that you could claim for damages to your person. Sorry.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I used to be a contractor, and also worked for contractors.

The idea that if I gravely injured the home owner, their guests, or their property, they are to blame for the harm I caused?

Wow, why did I need to be insured if they were responsible for harm i might cause them?
Or that I can get out of my liability by saying they agreed to stand in the spot I dropped a massive steel door?
How about if i drop a door on their dog?
Blame the dog?
Drop it on their car, is the car liable for the damage I caused?

I had the impression that the contractor who causes damage is at fault, not the victim.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
He could have said no. I don't remember the part of the account where he had a gun to his head.
Between the mistake of @studio1087 helping a guy who was helping his mom and asked for help; vs the mistake of the contractor dropping a door on a clients family member; which mistake was worse?

Which mistake is the kind of mistake contractors carry liability insurance for?

Can we agree that as a contractor, dropping a door on anything of value on a clients property and damaging the thing you drop a door on, is a major screwup on the part of the contractor?

If the contractor dropped the door on the clients car rather than on the clients son, would you blame the car?

Alcohen

Tele-Meister
See a doc for your injury and a good PI lawyer for a consult. Not necessarily to bring a claim now - you don't know the extent of your injuries - but to understand what your options are if this turns into something serious. Backs suck. Lots of folks on this thread are old enough to know how that works. I injured my back, forgot about it, and then a year later, we were playing guitar after Thanksgiving dinner and suddenly I was on the floor. I couldn't stand or lie down for three months and still feel the effects. Don't cowboy this, don't turn the other cheek, and don't let anyone tell you that this is somehow your fault. You could lose a lot of money if this turns into a bad injury. Or maybe you'll feel better next week. But despite all the disinformation spewed by insurance companies, the justice system is there to make sure that the people who cause injury pay for the resulting costs. So is insurance.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Yes to everything your friend said, you should never have been put in that position, even though you sound like a guy only to happy to help, you could possible suffer in the future.
I am sure it was not in his remit to be asking others to work on the door for his lack of a working partner.