Terrible unfortunate accident. Injury. Need some advice.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member

My beloved 88-year-old mom is getting a new garage door on her home.

I visited her at New Year’s and on the second the garage door guy came over to do some inspecting. It’s a 16 foot wide steel door with a lot of insulation. The old door was very heavy. The garage door guy popped his head in the house and he asked me if I could come out in the garage and help him with something. I politely asked if this was a two-man job with one man on the job and he said that it indeed wins. His partner who typically helps him has Covid and is not working. He asked me to apply outward pressure on the garage door from the inside and the garage door was closed. He started working with a socket wrench on the metal track that the garage door rides up and down. Suddenly the entire garage door came out of the track fell toward me and pile drived me into the concrete garage floor. The door hit my head and the door hit my shoulder. It was very painful. After I crawled out from underneath the door and shook it off a bit the guy asked me if I would help lift the door into his truck so he could dispose of the old door. I tried to be a nice guy and I helped him and the door was extremely heavy.

Later that night I started experiencing some tremendous low back pain. It is very painful to walk and it is very painful to go up and down stairs. I can’t even carry a laundry basket down into the basement it’s just too painful. If I’m walking through my office and twist funny or bend just right I will actually yelp in pain, it’s that bad.

I have a dear girl friend that I talk to often and she can be rather headstrong and she gave me quite the lecture last night. She said John you need to get to a chiropractor or a doctor and I don’t want to be litigious but whatever the co-pays are for those hospital visits the owner of that garage door company should be paying that. She said they sent one man on a two-man job and because of the guys goofy behavior with the socket wrench you got crushed by the garage door onto concrete. She said you should call the owner of that company and tell him that he should be a gentleman and make the co pays. I know you’ve got good insurance. It’s just co-pays she said and this guy should take part in that.

I don’t know, my co-pays when I go to a doctor or a chiropractor are like 35 bucks a visit and I just thought so I just thought so what.

Would you call the owner of that company and make him aware of what happened and ask that he cover some of your co-pays? My mother has a beautiful Audi A6 and thank God she put it in the street when that worker was at the house because the door would’ve hit her car.

Would you call the owner of that company and have a conversation with him?

This friend of mine has the wheels turning in my little peanut brain now and I’m thinking about it, I just really don’t know what to do. I do have to see a doctor, it hurts like hell.

Thank you.

Last edited:

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
You were a nice guy, but shouldn't have participated in any overhead door work. It's more dangerous that one would think. People get severely injured. People get killed.

Your girlfriend is right.

Don't contact the door company yourself. Don't contact the door company yourself. Don't contact the door company yourself. Don't contact the door company yourself. Don't contact the door company yourself.

Contact and pay for an hour of your lawyer's time. Your smart lawyer will have you see your physician for an exam and likely some tests. Pay for another hour of your lawyer's time. Have the lawyer contact the company in writing. Even if you're just looking for restitution for the co-pays, contact in writing by the lawyer will ensure the company pays attention to the matter and the inference is that the lawyer can take the next step of litigation if the matter isn't handled to your satisfaction.

You've read this correctly: this will COST you money for the lawyer even if you merely break even on the co-pays. The cost is the tuition you'll pay for attending the school of learning the hard way. Perhaps the cost can be recovered by the lawyer from the company.

If you don't engage a lawyer and do this the right way, it makes it considerably tougher and more expensive if worse things need to be sorted out later:
- Residual physical effects
- Loss of income
- Permanent physical effects. Your back and your head, right?

The worst thing you can do is to avoid handling this the prudent way. Don't avoid it or try to think up easier ways or shortcuts. Talk to a lawyer before doing anything.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's

My beloved 88-year-old mom is getting a new garage door on her home.

I visited her at New Year’s and on the second the garage door guy came over to do some inspecting. It’s a 16 foot wide steel door with a lot of insulation. The old door was very heavy. The garage door guy popped his head in the house and he asked me if I could come out in the garage and help him with something. I politely asked if this was a two-man job with one man on the job and he said that it indeed wins. His partner who typically helps him has Covid and is not working. He asked me to apply outward pressure on the garage door from the inside and the garage door was closed. He started working with a socket wrench on the metal track that the garage door rides up and down. Suddenly the entire garage door came out of the track fell toward me and pile drived me into the concrete garage floor. The door hit my head and the door hit my shoulder. It was very painful. After I crawled out from underneath the door and shook it off a bit the guy asked me if I would help lift the door into his truck so he could dispose of the old door. I tried to be a nice guy and I helped him and the door was extremely heavy.

Later that night I started experiencing some tremendous low back pain. It is very painful to walk and it is very painful to go up and down stairs. I can’t even carry a laundry basket down into the basement it’s just too painful. If I’m walking through my office and twist funny or bend just right I will actually yelp in pain, it’s that bad.

I have a dear girl friend that I talk to often and she can be rather headstrong and she gave me quite the lecture last night. She said John you need to get to a chiropractor or a doctor and I don’t want to be litigious but whatever the co-pays are for those hospital visits the owner of that garage door company should be paying that. She said they sent one man on a two-man job and because of the guys goofy behavior with the socket wrench you got crushed by the garage door onto concrete. She said you should call the owner of that company and tell him that he should be a gentleman and make the co pays. I know you’ve got good insurance. It’s just co-pays she said and this guy should take part in that.

I don’t know, my co-pays when I go to a doctor or a chiropractor are like 35 bucks a visit and I just thought so I just thought so what.

Would you call the owner of that company and make him aware of what happened and ask that he cover some of your co-pays? My mother has a beautiful Audi A6 and thank God she put it in the street when that worker was at the house because the door would’ve hit her car.

Would you call the owner of that company and have a conversation with him?

This friend of mine has the wheels turning in my little peanut brain now and I’m thinking about it, I just really don’t know what to do. I do have to see a doctor, it hurts like hell.

Thank you.
Call the owner. Anyone in the area who could vouch that this happened if the other guy says it didn't?

At my work I got injured (in a completely different manner, not applicable) and decided to be the nice guy thinking things would heal and that would be that. They didn't and 6 years later it's my problem.

I know you don't work there but you were made to help and they caused your issues. They are responsible. Hell if you wanted to get hurt working on that door you could've just done that without them. They were hired to prevent that.

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
I'm sorry that this happened to you @studio1087.

That's a tough one. I'm not sure just how the door company is liable. It sounds like you voluntarily helped when asked. Not like an employer insisting that an employee do something.

Curious to hear how this turns out. Hopefully at least your expenses get paid and more importantly you don't suffer any long term effects.

Last edited:

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
First off, what a terrible thing. I hope you're able to recover fully, and soon.

A company like that has insurance to cover mishaps... This is one of those mishaps. Whether you helped voluntarily or not, you were injured by the actions of one of their workers. It's not like you signed a waiver or anything. Which is exactly why the guy was in the wrong to ask you to participate. He shouldn't have asked you to be anywhere near that door.

I'm not a lawyer, but you should talk to one.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
You were a nice guy, but shouldn't have participated in any overhead door work. It's more dangerous that one would think. People get severely injured. People get killed.

Your girlfriend is right.

Don't contact the door company yourself. Don't contact the door company yourself. Don't contact the door company yourself. Don't contact the door company yourself. Don't contact the door company yourself.

Contact and pay for an hour of your lawyer's time. Your smart lawyer will have you see your physician for an exam and likely some tests. Pay for another hour of your lawyer's time. Have the lawyer contact the company in writing. Even if you're just looking for restitution for the co-pays, contact in writing by the lawyer will ensure the company pays attention to the matter and the inference is that the lawyer can take the next step of litigation if the matter isn't handled to your satisfaction.

You've read this correctly: this will COST you money for the lawyer even if you merely break even on the co-pays. The cost is the tuition you'll pay for attending the school of learning the hard way. Perhaps the cost can be recovered by the lawyer from the company.

If you don't engage a lawyer and do this the right way, it makes it considerably tougher and more expensive if worse things need to be sorted out later:
- Residual physical effects
- Loss of income
- Permanent physical effects. Your back and your head, right?

The worst thing you can do is to avoid handling this the prudent way. Don't avoid it or try to think up easier ways or shortcuts. Talk to a lawyer before doing anything.
This is some sage advice, a lawyer will make this much easier for you but will cost a little coin. Coin well spent.

Good luck, keep us posted,and I hope you feel better soon.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Definitely contact a lawyer ASAP. Have the lawyer contact the company. Your input can possibly muddy the situation.
Make sure you get medical attention. This could just be a bump or it could be a precursor to other issues down the road.

FWIW, I normally don’t recommend legal action but in some cases it’s better to cover your butt than leave it exposed to possible problems down the road.

Good luck with this

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
so sorry you are hurt and jacked up. 100% go to the doctor immediately and get checked out. Call a lawyer, the first consultation is usually free... he'll determine if it is something you can pursue... BUT, don't be surprised if he thinks you shouldn't go after your mom and her insurance... that could make it uncomfortable (r)

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
You probably need to see a real physician who can assess your injuries. You should have a MRI to assess any possible soft tissue injuries. Your mother must have insurance. That may be where you have to go for recompense because you volunteered to help at your mother’s home. If you have any injuries that require more than treatment of discomfort until they heal, you need to contact an experienced personal injury attorney. You have to bring suit to recover damages. An attorney will be able to tell you how much your case is worth and who may be liable. I apologize if this sounds harsh. You need professional help you will not find on a guitar forum. Good luck. I hope I’m overreacting and you need nothing more than Tylenol for a few more days, but what if it’s more?

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Oh damn that’s awful!
Yeah many issues, good point that your mom might be seen as the low hanging fruit to a law firm, even if then moms insurance co then goes after the door company.

I cannot believe that after the professional crushes you under a big steel door, he has the gall to ask you to do some heavy lifting???

Notably it is wrong to be all banged up in pain and unable to perform basic daily chores.
Just way wrong, and more than copays are warranted.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
BUT, don't be surprised if he thinks you shouldn't go after your mom and her insurance... that could make it uncomfortable (r)

That also is something to consider and most will overlook it. Personally it wouldn't phase me if a relative sued me because the insurance company will pay, not me. Worst that can happen if that occurs is she might be dropped from the insurance company. If that happens, tell he to check out Amica. One of the very best there is.

PJ
30 yrs insurance experience plus an RN.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Agreed with everyone that said get a lawyer. You might be in much worse shape than you think, and you should get to a doctor ASAP. It all has to be documented very well. I've installed heavy stuff for a living for decades, and I've never asked anyone to help me, specifically for that reason. If they hurt themselves, then it's on me and my general liability insurance. And I find it kind of despicable that a garage door installer would ask the customer to help them. If he didn't have a helper, or couldn't handle that job himself, he should rescheduled.

I had a buddy install my garage door years ago. I still had the old tilt-up style, and he did the entire job himself. He's just really good at it and knows exactly how to handle everything. He just backed his truck in under the door as it was raised up, and slowly took it all apart, and methodically dropped it down and loaded it onto his rack, then spun it around. It was amazing watching him install the new roll up one, it didn't take long at all and it really wasn't that difficult.