Terminal Cancer - 6 month - some lessons learnt

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by shinyphil, Jun 24, 2021.

1. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Positive thoughts headed your way

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Holic

I wish you and yours the best through all of this. Though we're pretty much all strangers here connected via a keyboard, there's a connection. Know that there are those that are pulling for you and you're not alone.

Last year I developed a neurogenic bladder(I have to self cath 3-4 times a day) as well as having sever(debilitating) pain in my joints. After well over year of testing they finally diagnosed me as having a rare incurable auto-immune connective tissue disease called Dermatomyositis. It's similar to Lupus and basically my body is attacking itself. I've been on steroids for over a year but now they're trying other meds to get me off of them. Being on steroids is HELL!

Life is an uncharted path no matter how much you think that you're in control. Your not. Make the best of it while you can. Best wishes.
    I have to go now...I need to take my meds...all 7 of them!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  3. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Hang in there Phil. It sounds like you have a very healthy attitude toward the whole thing. That catheter business is no fun. I had to self-catheter three times a day for two months while I was waiting for them to remove my prostate.

getbent and lowatter like this.
  4. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Be positive. My wife has been fighting lung Cancer that spread to her Spine for over a year she's doing really well, lung tumor has shrunk Cancer in spine is not increasing. Lot of advancements every year

5. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Hey Phil,

That's very good news that your psa level has gone down. Are you taking any hormone therapy?

So very sorry to hear about your issues where you needed to call health care services... it sounds like you went through so much pain, I truly hope you are doing better now.

I'm kind of in a similar situation, so your discovery of exercise to help alleviate the tiredness is very interesting to me.. they have me on hormone therapy, along with prednisone (steroid) and slow release morphine. My prostate cancer has traveled to my lymph nodes and into my bones.

With the hormone treatments my psa levels have gone down to .02 while that part is good the side effects are not anything to cheer about...

Can you please expand a bit on the exercise bit? Have you been doing it for a while? Are you improving daily?

I truly wish you the very best on your journey. Please feel free to contact me if you ever want someone to talk to who is going through a very similar journey.

All the very best to you.

Archtops and getbent like this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I lost my grandma to cancer at age 71. Which seemed really old when I was 18, and really young now that I’m 36 and my mom and dad are nearing 70.

I wish you the very best. That the doctors keep pushing back your time frame and that each day is enjoyable as much as it can be.

Archtops, Greg70 and getbent like this.
  7. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

Prayers and best wishes.

Keep the positive attitude. My wife's older sister was diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis several years ago and was given maybe 6 months to live. She's still going strong, carrying her portable oxygen concentrator when she's out and about. Her son is planning her 85th birthday party in a couple of months.

Modern medicine is a wonderful thing.

Archtops likes this.
  8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

getbent likes this.
  9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Go with the Flow!
    Cheers!

getbent likes this.
  10. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Phil, you sound like one tough hombre. I don't know if I could meet such challenges with your resilient nature. I admire your attitude and believe it will serve you well. If anybody can beat the odds on this thing I'm betting it's you. All the best to you!

Archtops and getbent like this.
  11. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

Attitude is everything. I'm sorry to hear what you're going through but glad that you've been able to find some comfort and increase your energy level. Wishing you all the best from across the pond!

12. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Meister

Thinking of you, Phil. Hang in there, buddy.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I lost my son to cancer, I know what a struggle it can be to just keep going. Things change, they come up with something new everyday, you could still win this thing.

14. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That’s a tough road to travel, shinyphil. Thanks for sharing and I’m pulling for ya.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.