Tension Free Necks

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by rbarr110, Dec 2, 2014.

1. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

I hate it when companies make up words that sounds scientific like "Sustainiun". They have also erroneously combined the words "in stock" to create "instock". And how can there be 5 generations of luthiers with only 50 years of experience?

2. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I don't like to squash something that goes against the flow without seeing/hearing some kind of comparison. I figured that if this approach made a noticeable improvement that the sellers would have a you tube video of a stock fender being played and then, the same fender with the new neck with the player doing the same tune/licks at identical settings. We viewers/listeners would then be able to decide with at least a small amount of info, whether or not it would be a worthwhile mod.

I couldn't find any videos of comparisons, anybody find one?

3. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    So then the wood adds nothing to the equation, including any tone benefit. It's just there to hold on to.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Your run of the mill neck....The strings are under tension, the top of the neck is under compression, the bottom side of the neck is under tension. The truss rod counteracts the compression with its own compression and tension forces. When combined, aren't the neck resulting forces at equilibrium when the rod is then adjusted so the neck is flat against string tension? Somebody please do a vector analysis of this....

5. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

A force diagram would show that the compression forces in line with the length of the neck do not effect relief, relief is all about the tangential "sheer" forces - which are applied as significant "compressive" forces just slightly off center enough to create a small tangential force: Leo's simple design to contour the truss slot to maximize the tangential force in just the right direction from the rod is pure genius.

If someone came up with a truss design that minimized compressive forces - it would likely work fine, but as Nick mentioned, wood handles compression better than most materials: I think any discussion about tone should really be about the composite of materials in a neck design as tone is a lot more about dynamic forces in vibration and not at all about where static forces are applied.

If someone were to talk about "tone" as an effect of static forces - I would think they do not understand the physics involved in a musical instrument. Unless they mean the pitch of a note and use the word tone....

6. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Who cares if its under tension or not.. ..how does this make for a better playing guitar?

7. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Bingo.

Now let's talk about the possibility of a cake-free Twinkie.

8. jkingma

Admin Post
    Twinkies are already cake free.

It may look like cake, but it ain't cake.

:D

9. Mojotron

it's all about the [​IMG]

10. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

I've made a bunch of necks using static (non-adjustable) steel rods fitted tightly and epoxied in. In a tap test these beat hell out of the anything with an adjustable rod in them. They ring nearly like a regular piece of wood instead of that 'thunk' you can get after installing an adjustable rod....but do they sound 'better' in a guitar? I doubt it.

Just to be safe though I'm going to claim they do and tell everyone I use cold-rolled, cryogenically treated, depleted uranium I call 'Unobsustainium™' to make mine.

11. guitarbuilder

Suzy Q's were an excellent treat back in the day when the ingredients were a bit more wholesome...LOL. This stuff doesn't taste the same anymore.

12. Mojotron

They tasted a lot better back in the day when I was blissfully ignorant to the notion that the ingredients were aiding my demise - given my age - if I ate one now people would assume it was a suicide attempt... :lol:

13. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

could it be possible they tasted better "Back In The Day" because we all had the munchies?:D

14. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Pizza was WAY better back then too.

15. jkingma

Admin Post
    Greasey pizza and Carling Black Label brings back a lot of memories.

16. guitarbuilder

Hey Mabel....Black Label..... and don't forget 10 cent wings....:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.