Tempted to buy a 50's AO tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by golfnut, Jul 21, 2019.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking of making an offer at a local music store for an American Original Telecaster. Its been there a long time and I might be able to swing a good discount. Its light as a feather and the neck is nice and chunky. Love the tone.
    The only thing that has me hesitating is the fact that the high e string is a tad too close to the fret board edge. Its not a crooked neck as the low e doesn't have enough room either to adjust the neck for more room on the high e. I dealt with this issue on another tele that I ended up selling. So I'm wondering if I go down this road again.
    I keep thinking maybe I just adjust my play style and try to avoid pulling the high e off the edge. Maybe I go from using 10's to 11's and it will help keep the string on the fretboard. I know with my Martins the e string is close to the edge but I use 13 - 56 and that heavier gauge never has issues.
    Can anyone comment if they have had issues with this particular model and the closeness of the e string to the edge and how you may have dealt with it.

2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE="golfnut, post: 9217429, member: 17932”]
    The only thing that has me hesitating is the fact that the high e string is a tad too close to the fret board edge.[/QUOTE]

I had the problem on another tele (not an AO 50s) and it was nothing more than a poorly cut neck. Got me a freshly cut bone nut for 30€, installed.

3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

You said poorly cut "neck" but I'm pretty sure you meant nut. Yeah thats a good point. I could have a new nut put on that compensates that issue a little. I could work that angle in my bid for a discount as well.

RadioFM74 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

When someone says they're tempted I always imagine a little devil sitting on one shoulder and an angel on the other shoulder having a tug of war with your brain.
    Frequently here when someone says they're tempted, it's all over.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Verne Bunsen likes this.
  5. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

A couple years ago my wife caught me looking at teles for sale online. She protested and I said "I'm only researching". Later that week when she saw a new tele in my office she said "I thought you were just researching". I said "Research complete".

Verne Bunsen, baiff, Alter and 8 others like this.
  6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

You just put a shim between the upper pocket wall and the neck. Many Fenders are like that w the strings a little off.

7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Amazed this old chestnut keeps coming up.

No new nut, no shims, very simple fix.

Loosen the neck bolts a little and tap the neck over to realign. FIXED!

Even ask the shop to do it. 30 second fix.

LocoTex, NewKid, stnmtthw and 2 others like this.
  8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

A shim keeps it in place if it's bumped, but that ought to work to correct it.

9. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I'd check the saddle alignment first.

10. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

As I said previously. Neck alignment is not the problem as the low e is as close to the edge as the high e. If you realign to give the high e more room you knock the low e right off the fret board. Possibly the only fix is a new nut and narrow the spacing. I actually don't mind a more narrow spacing.

RadioFM74 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Post some pics if you pull the trigger on it. Should be an easy fix as others have said. Hope you score a big break on the price for your trouble.

12. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

So I just got back from the music store. Now I've been in this music store to play this guitar before but never plugged it in. Its been quite a while since I've been in. The sales guy said that its only been there since March but I know fore a fact it was before March when I was last in. Today I plugged it in and spent almost 2 hours with it. To get the first thing out of the way. The whole "the e strings are too close to the edge", is a complete non issue. My memory must be hazy as this must not be the guitar I was thinking of that had that issue. However it was the really light one that I was thinking of. Just for curiosity I asked the sales guy if they had a scale. They had a really nice professional scale in the back and it weighed in at exactly 6.5 pounds. Plugged in it sounded pretty good but there weren't any real great amps (at least non that I liked) to get a real good feel for tone. I had it plugged in to a blues jr then a hot rod deluxe and it sounded pretty good. I haven't got an amp right now but am looking for a 1X12 combo. Probably a Dr Z or maybe a matchless if I can find a good deal.
    So I did bring the guitar home and I'm quite pleased with it. The neck is chunky, not Nocaster chunky but close. I've owned several custom shop Fender Telecaster\Nocasters including a Masterbuilt Nocaster and I've never had a Tele this light. I've never really concerned my self with weight until about 5 years ago when a couple of Teles I had were in the 8-9 pound range got tiresome with long sets. So for the last 5 years I only concerned my self with keeping it at least just under 8 pounds. But as I'm ageing (60 in a year) 6.5 pounds is a nice weight for the long term. Acoustically it rings really nice, even with the kinda dead strings on it. So I know once I join it with the right amp its going to sound nice.
    I haven't had a chance to snap pictures yet so I'll get to that in a few minutes and post a couple.
    Oh and as far as getting a discount. No dice. I tried very hard but nothing knocked off. After playing it for close to 2 hours I decided it was worth it. I did get them to throw in a couple sets of strings and they did throw in the "Long and Mcquade Performance warranty", for 4 years. Which is actually a pretty good deal. Long and Mcquade has pretty good customer service. Their performance warranty covers a lot more than Fenders warranty. If say 3 years from now my frets need a crown and level that will be covered. Also if it had to be sent to Fender for any warranty work they cover the shipping both ways and completely take care of the process. Its something thats worth $45 a year and after the 4 years I could keep paying it yearly if I wanted to.

Verne Bunsen, hdvades, Stubee and 3 others like this.
  13. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The color is sort of inbetween the blonde that I had on my 52 wildwood thin skin and the pumpkin color of the older 52 AVRI's. Sort of a light caramel. I like it.
    The second pic below is how it looks in between my D-28 Authentic and D-18 Authentic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alter, hdvades, Stubee and 3 others like this.
  14. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

Congrats enjoy it in good health. Thanks for the plcs. Love the Martins.

golfnut likes this.
  15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Looks like it's a great acquisition by a discerning buyer! I'm sure it will sound great thru a worthy amp! (And yes, I meant "nut" ;) )

golfnut likes this.
  16. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I wonder if this is a common problem, my A.O 60s is the same way except the more I looked at it not only is the high e too close to the edge but the low e is too far from the other edge it’s completely playable and just odd.

Beautiful tele by the way enjoy

It’s a shame they wouldn’t work with you.was it a local ma and pop store? I find they’ll work with you the most.

Anyway

Price doesn’t really matter though it’s worth what you would pay for it , and after you play it that’s the last thing you think about

17. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I think you took the right decision: when we find a guitar that "speaks" to us it is always worth it to buy it even if the seller does not want to make any effort price wise.
    A light tele is hard to beat in my book ans yours is a real beauty.

Enjoy it in good health.

18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

If you have equally close strings on both the low end and the high end, tweaking the neck in the pocket won't do anything good for you.

Check the outer two nut slots first. If they are cut the appropriate distance from the edge of the board, then your issue is easy. You just have to place your strings in the right spots on the bridge saddles. If they won't stay, you can slot the saddles, just like you'd do on a new Gibson Tune-O-Matic bridge. (This is one reason why I prefer the later style threaded saddles over the earlier style brass barrel saddles...but I've never not been able to keep the strings where I put them on the brass ones.)

If, OTOH, the two outer nut slots are too close to the edge of the board, then you need to install a new nut blank, and have it hand slotted to your specs...then worry about the potential saddle stuff I mentioned above.

19. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Delete

20. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Nice guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.