1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tempted by guitar holder (tripod-y thing that holds the guitar 4u while you play it)

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by billy logan, Apr 19, 2021.

1. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Meister

I don't have one, but I can see 3 reasons it makes sense:

1) zero muscle tension directed towards holding the guitar = more focused effort for the actual playing
    2) leave the guitar in the holder in beckoning playing position = I'd be more likely to play it more
    3) forgot the third reason

Any thoughts, anyone?

Flip G likes this.
  2. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Tele-Meister

I've used the Mbrace (Google it) for gigs, love it and it doesn't cost hundreds of dollars. When you step up to it, just put a foot on one of the legs and it's percectly stable for playing.

Flip G, Deeve and billy logan like this.
  3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Gracie stand?

billy logan likes this.
  4. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Meister

xlnt. good good good - I've googled Mbrace and Gracie - will get one or the other for guitar

" ... perfectly stable ..." reminded me of reason 3) probably the fretboard would be less of a moving target if I ever tried a long-scale 5-string bass +/or tapping.

This big ol' bass I have is no collector's item and it doesn't need to go anywhere :) I might secure/even bolt its body to one heavy wooden contraption and the headstock to an anchor point on the wall. It'll be like sitting down at a piano to play.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my technique'll improve faster this way. reason 4) betcha my back'll thank me.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The third reason leapt to my mind.
    It keeps your guitar off your shoulder!
    I've been playing heavy electric guitars for 50 years.
    After about an hour of playing time, my left shoulder/trapezius hurts.
    A tripod stand would be very helpful.
    I prefer to stand when I play.
    Sounds like a good idea!

Flip G and billy logan like this.
  6. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

No specific thoughts, but I would point out that #1 is actually a big concern in a lot of competitive athletic pursuits. For instance, a common bit of advice I received regarding cycling was to not grip the handlebars too tightly. So basically your idea could have some merit. Is it too expensive to try? Remember, a lot of normal things we do now were considered stupid not that long ago...

billy logan likes this.
  7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Interesting that it is coming up now.

I wonder if flex is involved.

Hang it from the ceiling? Like a mobile. Stupid, sure.

billy logan likes this.
  8. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Maybe try gingko biloba. I dunno, it didn't really do much for me.

Flip G and billy logan like this.
  9. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Don't think so, esp not for me.
    I don't even like to practice sitting down because that changes the hand angle of how I play in front of people (standing). Now, your hand has to adjust to standing, sitting, and supported. If you are just playing chords I guess so but for single note stuff not so much. Jos Satriani tells a story of how he wrote a song sitting down and he couldn't play it standing because of the different hands position...

Yah it's lighter on the shoulder but that's why I play a Parker Fly , 4.5 lbs ...

billy logan likes this.
  10. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

Neil Schon had a hanging guitar onstage with Journey 1979. I think it was an acoustic. He could just walk up to it and play it at any time.

Larry F and billy logan like this.
  11. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Meister

Have I had my coffee? Yes

Larry F - I'm dope-slapping much dang forehead - because - My genius home-improvement concept for over-the-bathroom-vanity: Hang shelves from the ceiling: therefore shelves w/no legs. The vanity's countertop would still be 100% clear for hair dryer etc. etc. clutter. Many trailing houseplants on the shelves. M'lady primping in a tropical paradise. Shelves left and right of the sink/mirror. Highest shelf continuous left to right. Hijacked my own thread right there.

Mike_LA - I bet - after enough trial and error - you could stabilize the guitar exactly where you want it. Details of that are up to you :) But it seems like you don't like or need a holder.

Standing/sitting desk concept, except opposite: Suspend guitar from ceiling at playing-while-standing height. Then, for playing while sitting, tall barstool.

- 0R - have a loop and hook in the rope/cable - full-length rope for sitting - hitched-up for standing. not child safe.

TigerG - re: Neal Schon " ...could just walk up to it ..." If the lighting was right -and you painted the rope/cable VantaBlack the guitar would appear to be floating in mid-air, OR - you could paint a Gracie or MBrace stand VantaBlack and walk away from the guitar, which would stay put with no visible means of support - just to flabbergast anyone who arrived mid-song.

If you google VantaBlack you'll find it's a coating that's the most light-absorbing black ever.

12. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Holic

You have an interesting take on the lyrics, I always thought it went:

Tempted by the fruit of another...Tempted but the truth was discovered... What’s been going on...

13. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

old school...
    upload_2021-4-22_20-28-48.png
    upload_2021-4-22_20-30-28.jpeg

billy logan likes this.
  14. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I'm amazed that something like this is actually made. Or maybe I'm not? I just can't see how this would help with one's playing? It's got to be restrictive.

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Steve Howe used one to hold his Coral sitar whilst he played his gibson and he could switch with relative ease between some of yes' fast moving parts

billy logan and CapnCrunch like this.
  16. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Leading classical guitarist Paul Galbraith plays it like a cello:

Galbraith.jpg

billy logan likes this.
  17. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

I’m all for idiosyncrasies that take tension off of the body. But it just seems like convoluted or prissy solution compared to just sitting down and/or using a footstool. If we’re gonna dump somewhat on social norms of performance, I think it makes more sense just to sit.

18. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

The only time I've ever seen one these stands used live was at a Kenny Wayne Shepherd concert. He played the intro and first verse or so of Blue on Black on a Triolian resonator held on one these stands and then he stepped away to play the rest of the song on his Strat.

I've always wanted one to be able to switch between acoustic and electric on stage, but you either need a kill switch or an attentive soundman to mute and un-mute.

billy logan and 24 track like this.
  19. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Some still are. :D

Oldsmobum likes this.
  20. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

for those interested

010676-steve-howe-of-yes-in-concert-in-the-1970s-CTG8MH.jpg

P Thought and billy logan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.