Templates from instruments

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mr. Freddy, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

Hey everyone, I have access this weekend to a strat and p-bass (maybe a tele next weekend), and I want to make some templates from them. I have made plenty of templates from plans and have researched this but was hoping for some of your tricks for doing this as info is sparse. I have my own ideas for much of it, but there certainly have been enough times where I found something out on this forum and thought "why didn't I think of that?!!"

So I was thinking I can use the half pencil to trace the bodies (I would like to just run a pattern bit with the bodies to mdf, but the contours are an issue). Neck pocket I can start a cut and route easily enough, but a good center line and pickup cavities are what I am pondering. Oh, and the curved bottom of the strat and pbass neck.

Any thoughts?

2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    BAD IDEA. Its fine to trace the bodies but DO NOT EVER use the bodies as templates to make templates. One slip... very expensive mistake.

3. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

As jkingma said "BAD IDEA. Its fine to trace the bodies but DO NOT EVER use the bodies as templates to make templates. One slip... very expensive mistake."

Here are a couple of files that might help

http://www.projectguitar.com/ref/2010/stuff/VintageStratPieces.jpg

http://terrydownsmusic.com/Archive/tele_body_drawing_revD.pdf

Also very useful for only $ 22 is a program called Big Print. Check it out at

http://woodgears.ca/bigprint/

When you said "I would like to just run a pattern bit with the bodies to mdf"
    this just scares me for any number of reasons !!!!

Good Luck, Mike

4. KRamone27

KRamone27 Tele-Meister

I have done this with my squier telecaster custom and had no damage at all. But a tele has no contours (with the exception of some models) so the bearing can ride against. I made sure I covered my whole tele body with blue painters tape then double stick taped the masonite to the body and was carefull about every move I made. Like the others mentioned it can be pretty costly, I'd rather mess up my own guitar than someone else guitar trying to make templates.

5. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Preeb made a neat little puck with a flattened carpenter's pencil in it to trace the outlines of p-bass and strats. I have a piece of 350 year old bur oak waiting to make mine, and a stash of free carpenter's pencils from the local recycling company.

6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

One trick is to use something like a machinist's square to tape the half-pencil to. That way, you're sure to have the pencil vertical.

7. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The following might work. If your pattern bit has a bearing keeper, put a spacer between the bearing and the cutter. Use a piece of 1/4 in. MDF as a spacer between the body and the 1/4 in. MDF template. The idea is to make sure the cutter is not near the body. Tape the edge of the body as mentioned above.

This could work on a Strat except for the rear contour area and you should be able to trace that part.

8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Here's a simple pattern for a strat, just tape it together.As others have said, I'd keep router bits away from these guitars, even if they are yours. This info is too easy to get by other means. Trace all you want, but if these are someone else's guitars, even if you don't make a mistake, you risk alienating the owner for life. Seeing as how he/she has been this kind to you, I'd rather keep the friend :)

Dave

Attached Files:

9. jonal335

jonal335 Tele-Holic

Tele bodies are tempting to use as a template to make a master template, and I have done this several times, but you MUST watch out for the output jack hole...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.