Template Questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by aaronftnm, Jan 9, 2009.

1. aaronftnm

aaronftnm TDPRI Member

Just curious how obsessive you guys get about your templates. Im about to go to my grandfathers house and use his bandsaw to make neck and body templates, but i am not the best with the bandsaw. I assume that i need to pay the most attention to the heel of the neck, and the neck pocket, but what about the rest of the template. How forgiving are the pilot bearings on a template bit. Will it show every small bump?

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    yup

3. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

You should saw a bit on the outside of the lines. Sand the templates down to the line using spindle sanders.

4. aaronftnm

aaronftnm TDPRI Member

I like the spindle sanding idea pretty good, but i dont know if i have access to one or not. Would a drill press spin fast enough to use some sort of attatchment?

5. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

They do make drum sanders that go in drill presses. For something like this they'll work fine.

Keep in mind that spindle sanders work best on the insides of curves, and flat sanders like a belt or disc sander are for the outsides of curves.

6. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

If you have a drill press that would be perfect. You can get these from Grizzly or Harbour Freight.
    [​IMG]

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Actually, a drill press would have to be set to a relatively slow speed to be useful for a spindle sander. My father's DeWalt radial arm saw actually has an attachment for a spindle sander - ridiculously fast for anything except burning wood and tearing paper.

I took a nozzle for the shop vac and screwed it to a board with a circle cut in it just big enough for the spindle. The nozzle aims behind the spindle sander. Clamp the board to the dril press. Works beautifully.

8. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

These work really well!

[​IMG]

9. aaronftnm

aaronftnm TDPRI Member

I actually just called in a favor with my cousin who owns a cabinet making shop, and i sent him over a cad file of what i needed, and he got it made up on the cnc router. It took like ten minutes tops, and looks better than my sketch bandsaw operation.

10. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

When I build templates, I use a jig saw close to the line, then follow up with one of these:
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I know, not very high tech, but I'm power tool challenged and if you know how to use it and take your time, it'll work well.

11. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

Any time spent on making the templates as close to perfect as possible is time well spent.

12. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

fixed

but.. theres nothing like spending some quality time learning how to use your files :D

13. braderrick

braderrick Tele-Afflicted

? I think he was saying to just get close to the lines (outside the lines) with a saw and then use files or a spindle sander to more accurately go around the lines.

14. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

Yeah....you really should go on the outside edge of the lines with the saw so you cut the waste. If you cut inside the lines, you won't have any more waste to clean up with files/sanding.

15. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Santa left one under my tree after one of you guys suggested it here. I'm surprised no one else makes a combination spindle sander that's also an edge-belt sander (and even the single-purpose oscillating spindlesanders are more expensive). The whole 4 x 24" belt oscillates up and down and is nice for the convex areas. Turns out the spindles are all 4-1/2" (a spec that's not posted anywhere by Ridgid or Home Depot) and the sizes are easily available at my favorite sandpaper catalog: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-...EVES - 4.5" LENGTH&qryType=GRPSG&group=SLEEVE Can't wait to start playing with it for real.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.