1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Template Question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PMF1954, Mar 12, 2012.

1. PMF1954

PMF1954 Tele-Meister

Is there a good reason to use the Telecaster template that is in the "D-Size Tele Body Blueprint Files HERE" thread instead of buying a Ron Kirn Tele template from ebay? Just wondering.

2. PHawley

PHawley Tele-Meister

If you already have the tools to make the template (spindle sander, belt sander, drill press, band saw or jig saw) then you will be able to get the template for the cost of the mdf and about $5 for printing at staples/kinkos compared to maybe $50 for Kirn's. However, if you need a spindle sander or belt sander (the other ones you already need for making the body), and you only plan on making 1 or 2 types of guitar, then buy his templates to save money.

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

To have an extra $50 to put towards your build. Spend $5 on some mdf and do it yourself. That way you also gain a little experience towards your build and using the tools. I'm guessing most of the guys here use that blueprint to build templates. If you really want to buy templates, for $50 you get a neck template included as well with these http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/CNCGuitarTemplates.htm

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Either appraoch is valid. I'm a cheapskate, so my templates are all home-grown. The PDFs are especially handy if you're going to customize something and you want to make sure things are located properly. Some are better than others, of course, I've used the Terry Downs PDFs and they're good, and I'd bet the Ron Kirn templates are likewise top notch.

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have built templates from Terry Downs blueprint, and bought templates from Ron Kirn.

Ron did all the hard work, so they are a lot easier to fool with.

6. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

I bought the Ron Kirn templates, both tele & strat, from ebay & there was a link to one of Ron's builds which brought me here for the first time. Just finding this site was a big win for me. I've been woodworking for a long time, I would have been able to make my own templates had I found T Downs' blueprint first but that didn't happen. I made a few 1/4" masters to make working templates from & the originals haven't seen the light of day since. Ron's templates are an easy way to get started & well worth the price.

7. alexlaguna29

alexlaguna29 Tele-Holic

+1

Plus, If I am not mistaken, Ron's current templates were taken off one of the earlier teles (he suspects it was it was a Broadcaster, I think, but he is not sure bc the owner of that guitar "would let to remove the junk from the neck pocket").

TD's template is more modern, I think.

8. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Terry Downs drawing is based on the drawing found in the Duchossoir Telecaster book. According to the book, it's a blueprint of a vintage Telecaster.

If it differs a little from some vintage Telecaster ............ so what? Use it to build a guitar and if you don't screw up really bad, it's going to look like a Telecaster.

9. mojoatomic

mojoatomic Tele-Holic

True - I've never seen two that were identical from that era anyway - if you blueprinted one of them, it wouldn't fit any but that one; they're all a bit different.

10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Stop thinking of vintage specs in the context of 2012 manufacturing.... there were no CNC''s back then .... everything was done by hand, very imprecise hands at that....

If you flip through Nacho's Blackguard book, Note the thicknesses... if those could vary by 1/4 inch.... what makes anyone think any other non-critical dimension couldn't vary?

Ron Kirn

11. jstream

jstream Tele-Holic

The way I look at it is, if I wanted to copy a vintage telecaster, I'd get my hands on one and copy it. But it's 2012... I'm making a modern one :)

12. freaktone

freaktone TDPRI Member

I use the Kirn templates and there great but like Ron said "Stop thinking of vintage specs in the context of 2012 manufacturing". The beauty of this is that you can build any way you want to suit your needs.

13. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

I used the TDowns pdf for two main reasons.

One - I'm cheap and I don't want to spend money on something I can do myself. Besides that, it also kept me from justifying another $50 purchase to my wife. ;)

Two - I have never liked the "flat spot" for the jack cup or the "router hump." I wanted mine to be round on the bottom and smooth on the top. I could do that very easily with the pdf.

14. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Both methods are valid.

I imagine there are nearly unlimited ways to skin that cat.

15. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

What is the "router hump?"
    Thanks,Rex

16. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

The router hump is a slight curve on the treble side of the neck where it meets the cutaway. I believe that was originally caused because the router bit couldn't fit into the smaller radius on the template and caused a bump there.

17. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes but speaking strickly for myself, I wouldn't want to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.