Tell us your single favorite OD pedal!

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I really dig the Tube Pilot now that I figured out how to put a fixed value (.006) tone capacitor in there; shout out to @wildschwein for the pointer on that one. Am still going to experiment with other tubes in that, and want to try an old Blue Tube pedal or a rack mount Real Tube unit too.

havlma1

Tele-Meister
BOSS SD-1 is probably my favorite pedal. The MIT version was my first OD pedal bought, now I use 1981 version with NEC chip and yellow stripe diodes. It's bit more edgy then the regular version, less compressed.

full

full

beninma

Friend of Leo's
I couldn't possibly pick.. it seems like every OD and/or distortion pedal has a whole bunch of situations it sounds absolutely terrible. So I end up hot and cold with overdrive about 1000x more than any other pedal. I like something for a while, get sick of it, then change my mind again later.

My favorite can't be any kind of Klon or Tube Screamer circuit.. both of those can sound good if you craft everything around the pedal (i.e. you are choosing an amp and a guitar based on what the pedal works well with) but sound horrible in a lot of other situations. I guess I don't think the pedal should be so important as to influence choice of amp/guitar.

Maybe I lean towards distortion.. distortions often seem more versatile to me. OCD, DS-1, Big Muffs, RAT style pedals.. all of them have a lot to offer.

twangking

Friend of Leo's
I like the obne fault v2. For now it's the only overdrive on my board. Nice EQ, voice switch, compression and boost, and a second gain stage via footswitch.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
I don't use OD a lot, play amps that tend to drive just by digging into the guitar. But it's often nice to bump things up with a pedal.

My 1st pedal was ts-10. Used it forever guess it was my favorite OD~

Then a couple of years ago I got an sd-1. It's the smt version, does what I need, has quiet operation, probably indestructible guess I now have a new favorite 😎

duanewalden50

TDPRI Member
I have 2 OD pedals that I use right now. I have an EH Crayon on my short board and that board only has the Crayon, a reverb pedal and a dist. to kick in the dirt. On my regular board I have an MXR overdrive pedal I really like. That board has like 8 pedals including a tuner, chorus and tremolo. The EH Crayon is by far the better pedal but my regular board has an MXR '78 distortion that matches with my MXR OD pedal perfectly. I've never really liked the TS-9 even though it was a staple for SRV.

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
Right now it would have to be the MXR Custom Badass OD. Dumb name for such an aesthetically beautiful pedal. Smooth rather than grainy, highly customizable, lots of oomph. My only complaint is the large amount of gain on tap, so I keep the gain knob at about 9:00.