Tell us about your strangest trouble-shooting problems ever- like Brand-new-(yet-bad)-Parts SNAFU's

user name

Tele-Meister
When I finally finished assembling one of my last partscasters, I got the strings on and was very excited to see how everything sounded. Quickly noticed that all the strings sounded fine except the low E string - it was just completely, totally dead sounding and only made a horrible thud sound when plucked. Spent more time than I should have trying to trouble shoot the problem before trying another set of strings. Turns out the guitar was fine, I had a defective E string. That has never happened to me in all of the thousands of strings I've changed...of course it would happen while stringing up a new build for the very first time making me lose my mind in the process.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
I too have had several issues with new Switchcraft toggle and CRL 3-way switches that had me scratching my head for a while. Misaligned contacts and contacts not contacting at all. NEVER ASSUME a new switch is operating properly if you are having issues. The first step in my troubleshooting - actually verify the contacts are doing what they are paid to do. Oddly, I have yet to run into a new pot I couldn't use. But I am a shade-tree tinkerer - not a pro.

Last edited:

UserNotAvailable

Tele-Afflicted
I too have had several issues with new Switchcraft toggle and CRL 3-way switches that had me scratching my head for a while. Misaligned contacts and contacts not contacting at all. NEVER assume a new switch is operating properly if you are having issues. The first step in my troubleshooting - actually verify the contacts are doing what they are paid to do. Oddly, I have yet to run into a new pot I couldn't use. But I am a shade-tree tinkerer - not a pro.
CRL-- yes that's actually what I had do this.

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My latest wasn't a guitar, but a self-darkening arc welding mask.
I bought it at Tractor Supply and I figure, the way my luck is running, I'll test it in the parking lot before driving home.
I point it at the sun, and it doesn't go dark.
I return it. The guy behind the counter used to work at some sort of shop where they did welding. He takes it outside...sure enough it doesn't go dark, so he gives me another.
Same thing.
So I call Hobart 800 number and talk to a tech.
Oh, yeah...they don't do that anymore. The sun is too far away.
Too far away? It can TELL?
Apparently. But if it's any consolation, when we changed the design, WE didn't know that would happen and we were going nuts with warranty claims until we figured it out.
Now I need a new way to look at solar eclipses!

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Here's my latest automotive one.
Tail light not working.
Ground? Check.
Source of power? Check.
I test the wire every step of the way, and it has power.
But no power at the spade connector.
Finally, the wire has power RIGHT to where it is crimped into the spade connector. It even has power on the inboard side of where it's crimped into the connector!
For whatever reason, probably corrosion, the juice is not flowing from the wire to the connector even though it appears properly crimped and is not loose.
I heat it up, add a dab of solder and done.
But it was one of those times when I was really starting to believe in mischievous gremlins.
I'm TALKING to the wire...like... Come ON....WTF?!?!

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
My latest wasn't a guitar, but a self-darkening arc welding mask.
I bought it at Tractor Supply and I figure, the way my luck is running, I'll test it in the parking lot before driving home.
I point it at the sun, and it doesn't go dark.
I return it. The guy behind the counter used to work at some sort of shop where they did welding. He takes it outside...sure enough it doesn't go dark, so he gives me another.
Same thing.
So I call Hobart 800 number and talk to a tech.
Oh, yeah...they don't do that anymore. The sun is too far away.
Too far away? It can TELL?
Apparently. But if it's any consolation, when we changed the design, WE didn't know that would happen and we were going nuts with warranty claims until we figured it out.
Now I need a new way to look at solar eclipses!
It might need a fast flash and not a gradual increase in light.

TurtlesnTanlines

TDPRI Member
instead of just getting an EQ pedal, I decided to get tubes that would run my Blues Jr really hot…but, I had one issue. Whenever I plugged in my Nashville Tele for band rehearsal it picked up a Spanish radio station LOUD & CLEAR.
It was funny the first time and it did sound better run hot, but I don’t even speak Spanish and it was just annoying and embarrassing when it started picking up stations everywhere I went.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
"Strange" is always cars for me, some break then fix themselves.
Or not fix but stop being broken AKA have intermittent problems.
Back when I fixed my own but even worse now that cars are computerized and I have a backwoods mechanic I go to.
Last issue was getting off the highway and the dash says NO OIL PRESSURE.
Not low but NO, and the top end was clattering so I shut it off and got it towed to my mechanic.
Next day he starts it and no problem.
Some time later I got top end rapping again but no dashboard warning.
My guess is a bit of debris in the motor had blocked an oil passage, cutting off flow to the head.
Then the crud fell out of the blockage when the motor was shut off.
16 year old Volvo wagon with 5 cylinder 20 valve turbo motor and 250,000 miles on it.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Here's my latest automotive one.
Tail light not working.
Ground? Check.
Source of power? Check.
I test the wire every step of the way, and it has power.
But no power at the spade connector.
Finally, the wire has power RIGHT to where it is crimped into the spade connector. It even has power on the inboard side of where it's crimped into the connector!
For whatever reason, probably corrosion, the juice is not flowing from the wire to the connector even though it appears properly crimped and is not loose.
I heat it up, add a dab of solder and done.
But it was one of those times when I was really starting to believe in mischievous gremlins.
I'm TALKING to the wire...like... Come ON....WTF?!?!
I had a similar taillight problem, soldered the wire directly to the bulb, turned out the housing had corroded grounds so hot was there but no ground.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Forgot, I had a bad plug on one of my car headlights so I ordered an aftermarket pair of them.
Ceramic plug body and the first one broke in half plugging the bulb in!
Glad they came two to a pack, second one was fine.