Tell us about your first gig

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Summer of 1968 was my first gig playing at the Teen Club while stationed at Naval Air Station Rota, Spain. I played guitar in a band called "Government Property" consisting of drums, organ, bass and guitar (all four of us were in the Navy). "Good Lovin" by the Rascals was the opening song. We did covers of Beatles, Stones, Doors etc. and opened for a group called the "Soulful Seven" who were really good playing Motown and Styx Review songs.

2. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

1987. At 20 years old. I was playing an old (very high action) Gretsch banjo in a Dixieland band in downtown Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada. First song : I’ve Found a New Baby. After only learned banjo chords for 2 weeks !

3. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I was 13 or 14, 1968-69 sometime. We got a gig at a fashion model show. It was cold and outside at Bullocks Fashion square in Encino, Ca; LOS ANGELES. Right away they told us we were too loud. We couldn't even hear ourselves that well. We did not head and all of a sudden, its just drums and they cut our power and our show ended. I had my Gibson es 125tc, and my friend had a Mustang.

4. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

If I remember correctly, we originally planned to give them a cassette dub of World Wide Live by the Scorps, but figured Hootenanny might just be convincing enough, like good but not so good that it would raise suspicion, and at the same time shambolic enough that they'd think "I guess this might be these guys..." I still can't believe it worked!

Bellacaster likes this.
  5. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was four, circa spring of 1957 in Chelsea, Oklahoma. I had a white plastic guitar with very stretchy pink plastic strings. It possibly had a little crank for a music box in the body; I’m not sure if I had that model.

At Sunday School, I played that damned guitar and sang “Faith, Hope and Charity,” which I had learned from watching Roy Rogers and Dale Evans sing it on television.

There is much about that performance that I’ve forgotten, but I learned then that it is unsettling to sing with a guitar that is out of tune.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.