Tell me why you like your rosewood neck.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleguy12, Dec 25, 2013.

1. teleguy12

teleguy12 TDPRI Member

I can't decide what I want, I've been playing maple forever and I'm looking for a little change. I like the smooth tones on a rosewood neck with the strat, how does the tele compare?

2. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

I prefer a rosewood neck on both Tele and Strat. Aside from the looks factor, the way my fingertips contact and move across the fingerboard when bending strings is really different with the two types of wood. This is mostly due to the type of finish that is used. It is particularly true if you have vintage style frets. With big jumbo frets, it's probably much less of a factor since your fingertips may not even touch the board with these.

3. Teleagain

Teleagain Tele-Meister

I like my rosewood neck because it came on the Telecaster that I bought. I didn't give the rosewood/maple neck debate any thought. It does contrast nicely with the red body. I played a bunch of Teles at the GC and liked the red one with the rosewood.

4. Moxoftritonytes

Moxoftritonytes TDPRI Member

I like the feel of the rosewood fingerboards better than the feel of the lacquered maple necks. That is all. I don`t know if there is any difference soundwise.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Because it is a very well made high quality USACG neck with a very comfortable profile and the right size frets.

6. Twang Guitars

Twang Guitars Tele-Meister

I think a guy should have at least one of each, including an Ebony, But I prefer the feel of the Rosewood under my fingers, I mostly play Rhythm.

7. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

I have both, and never think about the fretboard wood when I'm playing either one. I like the rosewood board on the guitar it's on because, aesthetically, it's the right neck for that guitar. It looks good, and the guitar sounds and plays great. You can't go wrong.

8. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Same here.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have one of each in both my Strats and Teles.

I "grew up" preferring the look and feel of Rosewood. In fact, I could never see myself playing a maple mostly because of the feel. That said, not all all maple is lacquered (or has the lacquered feel).

Honestly I never give it second thought now. I like them both equally as well. Aesthetically I think they both can be beautiful.

Subjectively I think maple is a little brighter sound wise and perhaps has a little more snap.

I am not sure I could decide between the two now. (Again, this is very different from three or four years ago when Rosewood would have won hands down).

You'll love either after you played them enough.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I prefer rosewood's "dampening" effect on the acoustic sound of the guitar.
    I perceive that it softens the attack of the note(s).
    This applies only to the guitar I am playing, as I am playing it.
    I don't perceive it when listening to other players.
    Many of my favorite Fender players prefer maple.

11. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

I don't enjoy rosewood necks. I tried owning one on a Strat and I couldn't get used to it. One day I plan to have 1 or 2 just to have diversity :)

12. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

I used to have a bunch of maple guitars but soon learned rosewood works a lot better for me. I tend to sweat from the hands when I play for a long period of time and it's also fairly acidic. Rosewood stays drier and much less "sticky" feeling. Plus, bias included, I prefer the look today...

[​IMG]

13. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Everyone agrees it looks different. Most say it feels different. Some say it sounds different.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've got nothing against maple fretboards, but I grew up on rosewood and ebony. The feel of maple is so different that I haven't been able to bond with one -- I pick up a Tele with a maple 'board and have to put it down after a minute or two.

My last guitar, an ASAT Special, I ordered with an ebony fretboard. I love the look and the feel of it:

[​IMG]

15. wwit

wwit Tele-Holic

Im another who prefers the feel of RW. Ebony too. I just don't like the stickiness of a gloss finish maple. I sat at a local GC a couple months ago and played 4 Tele's. 1 MIC, 1 MII, 1 MIM and 1 USA. I just couldn't get myself to like the feel of any of them. All 4 had mopped on thick coats of gloss poly.

I really wished Fender offered more RW necks or if they must stick to offering maple then how about just making more satin nitro versions.

16. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Rosewood feels more like . . . wood. Much prefer rosewood.

17. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

I have both and like both in a different way. but maple is the one I think is best.All my favorite players have maple fretboards so its mainly a mental thing im sure.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The smooth tones of that Strat with the rosewood board are not from the rosewood; they're from all the other things, of which the board surface may or may not even play an actual role.

The advantage of rosewood is hot and sweltering conditions. You're playing in the late summer afternoon, in direct sunlight, 99% relative humidity, over 85 degrees. The rosewood board will soak up your sweat (or some of it) and the finished maple won't. That's its real value. You may deliver the mail with the rosewood, and go sliding all over the place on the maple and miss your marks.

Conversely, in Winter and especially in Wisconsin (as opposed to South Louisiana), the lack of a hard finish on the board means fretgrowth and sharp fret ends are a bigger issue on rosewood board guitars than the sealed maple board ones. So if you buy a rosewood board Tele or Esquire, you may need to humidify.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  19. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Friends, you are all talking about a maple neck.

It's the fingerboard that's up for discussion. Not the neck.

Me, I like them both and have one of each.

20. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh yeah thanks I had forgotten :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.