1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tell me what to do in Denver on Saturday mid-day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Sep 27, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Landing in Denver tomorrow (Saturday) morning early. Renting a car. Have all day before we need to be at our condo, which is only an hour and a half drive. So we need to spend the day dorking around Denver.

Unique places to go?

2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I lived in Denver briefly about 25 years ago, and just returned from a business trip there- the city is almost unrecognizable to me now, but one thing that I'm sure is still there is the US Mint.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

Haven't been there in a few years, but the Mile High Flea Market and an antique store called Packrats were both well worth a visit at that time.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0114660/

^ This may not help you, since I assume that you’re alive.

I’ve never watched it, but something tells me it’s not a Rick Steve’s travel show.

5. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The Museums are great..

The old mining towns and steam railway up in the hills to the West at Georgetown are a nice day out.

There is also a cliff of dinosaur footprints just outside the city that is very impressive and surprising if you are into stuff like that. Dinosaur Ridge.

21EF32A8-4AF2-4E7B-B4C4-C08D1FB868FF.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    TheGoodTexan likes this.
  7. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Every suggestion I've gotten on what to do while in Denver involves leaving Denver.

8. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Looks like there is quite a bit of Octoberfest stuff going on downtown tomorrow.

If you are near Coors field and need a place to grab a beer...El Chapultepec has been a blues/jazz club for years. Lionel Young is playing there tomorrow night and is a badass bluesman. If I recall correctly, he might be only person to have won the International Blues Competition as both a solo/duo and with a band. He starts at 8 it looks like.

I am a big fan of Oskar Blues...the beers and the food. They have a restaurant/venue downtown now. I'll eat their fried catfish and fried chicken all day long.

Just walking up and down Colfax Avenue can consume a day. There is some pretty good Ethiopian food along there. Colfax Guitar Shop is there, they don't have a huge inventory but I take a lot of stuff there for repairs. If you want to look at acoustic instruments I'd try to head to the Denver Folklore Center.

I'll be running from teaching lessons to the Buddy Guy concert, but that is up north in Loveland.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  9. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

The "mall" in Boulder... I think they call it the Pearl Street Mall...

10. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Budweiser tour up in Ft Collins... (free beer alert)

11. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

what does the tour cost?

12. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Ummm....get high!

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My two suggestions would be the area called LODO and near it, and if that condo is west you can weave toward Morrison, hike around Red Rocks, and then easily get on 70 West. There are some open/multi vendor market and eat places in the LODO area and near the train station we go to for a family meet up where the different eating options usually keeps everyone happy. Denver Central Market is one of those eat places. Technically it's probably northeast of LODO. If you walk around that general area or between that market eat place and trail station there's a lot of art on buildings and you can start your lower elevation lungs getting ready for more. It's maybe 10-12 blocks.

There are also places to eat and chill if you do that Morrison and then Red Rocks suggestion.

Edit: Saying an hour away for the condo I'll guess Summit county. If so you should take Loveland Pass for your heading there or at least one time over the pass and one time through the tunnel.

If I was right on Summit County, I might be able to suggest places and things because we have two families of cousins with places there. I don't know your personal interests or how you are about physical activity but they would be easy to do suggestions not exactly where or what most tourists do.

Also if Summit County, this is a bit expensive but without much experience you can rent a downhill MTB and have a lesson with your lift ticket. It includes body armor and a guide. Some I know who did that found it to be a lot of fun. I've seen that but was on my own and mostly ride on my own.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  14. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you're interested in whisky, the Stranahan's distillery, just south of downtown, does tours explaining the production/distillation process and tastings.

15. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I live here.The trees are just getting so beautiful.Take a drive,go to Red Rocks and see it.Most beautiful concert place.

pixeljammer and imwjl like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.