Tell Me What I Have

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by rmorow50, Jan 17, 2020.

1. rmorow50

rmorow50 TDPRI Member

Hey guys I'm hoping someone can help me out here I'm not even sure I'm in the right place I inherited this amp when my dad passed and Ive asked a few people but no one know what I have here. Please Help

Attached Files:

2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@rmorow50 - sorry for loss of your father.
    Obviously looks a bit like a small tweed amp, lacking a F brand plate.
    Next clues may be found when you remove back plate screws to confirm suspicions about the tubes and speaker.
    You may either see brand/model info in there or confirm it's a kit.

Did pa leave you a guitar as well?
    Peace - Deeve

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It looks to me like a Tweed Champ with one of the inputs replaced by a second pot. original.jpg Rear.jpg

Mayas caster and bender66 like this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks to be a Tweed Champ kit to me. Check to see what the speaker is and pull the chassis to see for sure, but it sure looks like a kit.

A well built kit can be an outstanding amplifier.

BobbyZ, Chunkocaster and DougM like this.
  5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it is far too clean to be an original Champ.

Milspec likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome, and condolences on your loss.
    More pics of that amp would be of interest.....pul” the back panels off so we can see the chassis, interior of the cab, and the speaker. I agree that it appears to be some sort of Champ amp with a tone pot added. I suspect that it may be an original Champ chassis. Is there a serial number stamped into the metal of the chassis anywhere?

7. rmorow50

rmorow50 TDPRI Member

Wow thanks guys for the quick response looks like I picked the right forum, and it looks like you guys are spot on I am pretty sure that it’s going to be a kit like you guys are saying and it looks like my dad added some extras the fuse holder was replaced with a pot for something not sure what yet and one of the inputs with another pot I’ll have to play with it and find out what those do but everything does seem to work well, I have taking it all apart and there doesn’t seem to be any stickers or information anywhere that I can find probably because it is a kit. Someone was asking yes I also did get a guitar it’s a 3/4 size gremlin that I’m in the process of rebuilding I will post some pictures when I get a chance thanks for all the information. Just out of curiosity what is something like this worth I’m not interested in selling just curious?

Attached Files:

8. rmorow50

rmorow50 TDPRI Member

9. rmorow50

rmorow50 TDPRI Member

Good question on checking for a stamp on the chassis I will look into that I was looking for a sticker.

10. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

First, Welcome to the forum!:D
    Next, do you already play guitar and if not do you think this may inspire you to start?
    Not a lot of monetary value, maybe $100-$175, but it is absolutely priceless if you honor your Dad by keeping it and playing music through it! You've certainly come to the right forum for help/advice getting a leg up on learning the ropes when it comes to playing, finding and spending in the guitar playing and owning universe! :eek: There are many here who are more than eager and happy to help you spend your $$$ and time! :cool:
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

11. Wally

Thanks for the pics. I don’t know where the chassis is from...the oxidation is interesting and indicates either age or humid environment..or both. The circuit is not a Fender done circuit. Value?? Whatever someone thinks it is worth as a player’s amp. It would be worth more to you imho....

12. rmorow50

rmorow50 TDPRI Member

No I don’t play I always wanted too and I’ve had a few guitars here and there growing up but never spent the time needed to learn much but I definitely am interested in trying it again, I’m not a very big guy so the 3/4 size guitar definitely is ideal and maybe that’s why I can never get comfortable with it before because they were always too big. The guitar he’s had for as long as I can remember and I always liked it so I’m definitely not selling anything but it is definitely in need of some repair I’m pretty savvy with electronics and used to work repairing pro audio equipment like guitars and amps so I’m looking forward to fixing them up to last another generation. I am attaching another picture wondering if anybody would know what the extra knobs would do maybe there’s no way to tell until I get a guitar hooked up to it?

Attached Files:

13. Wally

One would have to trace out what is going on there with. Regard to the controls. regarding the AC input, it would be better to wire that in a safer manner. The white neutral needs to go directly to one of the PT primary wires. The black hot should go through the fuse to the switch and then to the other end of that primary winding.

14. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Did your dad build electronics, or do you think he probably bought this built by someone else?

As noted, kit builds, especially nonstandard or unknown kits, won't be a worth a lot at resale, so since you note you're not interested in selling, you can relax knowing you're not sitting on a pile of money. :)

Good luck, be safe, and have fun. Any project that connects us with our parents is good.

Wally and tubedood like this.
  15. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

With no circuit board, two terminal strips, modern components and no identification of any kind IMO it's a "homebrew" not built from a kit. 'm guessing the builder used a Champ chassis and cabinet and designed his own little practice amp.

Check the date on the can capacitor before turning it on, though, and also the date codes on the other large (filter) capacitors. Although it looks fairly new it could easily be over 15-20 years old, and those caps have a 15-20 yeaqr service life. If they're that old they should be replaced or the amps could be damaged of one blows - and they csn blow with NO warning and the amp sounding fine.

16. rmorow50

rmorow50 TDPRI Member

So a reply on earlier messages my dad was an electronics engineer specializing in pro audio equipment repairs and was one of the few people that built and maintained AM radio stations, he did play guitar and drums a little bit but nothing more than a hobby so he probably did use this amp along with the guitar that I’m refinishing so it could definitely be something that he built from scratch and has had for a long time.
    I would have to agree that it probably is a homebrew especially with the extra knobs on it that the original and kids don’t have I have turned it on and tested it it is working doesn’t seem to have any issues but definitely considering the age it would be a good idea to replace the caps so I will be doing that. I appreciate all the help and information I will be working on the rebuilds and will post some pictures when I’m done.

17. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

That is pretty cool.

I would love to know what he was using the extra pots for, but it sure sounds like a home brew for sure.

18. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Nothing about the amp build itself is very old. From the caps, to the wire sheathing on the flying leads, and especially from the output transformer are newish. The Fuse holder is newer. Given what you have in your pics, I would guess this amp was put together within the last 20 years. Not that it means anything, but what is the speaker?

I'm guessing this is a Weber kit that was kept in a pretty humid environment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.