1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tell me something negative about the Strymon Flint

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Cheap Trills, Nov 29, 2020.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I was made in the wonderful state of Michigan. Does that help?

Fretting out and Cheap Trills like this.
  2. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So what's a good pedal alternative that's made in the wonderful state of Michigan

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Cusack Music Products, actually.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Was it the same wife?

5. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I had one for a couple days...Bought for my '57 Custom Champ.

The Champ has a natural reverb that is outstanding to my ear! Flint reverb never quite matched it.

Tremolo was OK BUT I got a Monster Effects Swamp Thang and THAT is a killer tremolo! I like it MUCH better than the Flint's!

So back it went!

I then got the Strymon DECO and that brings in the dimension I was seeking. I LOVE the DECO!

EDIT:
    Price wise not a deal breaker as ANY high end trem or reverb pedal will cost $150....You're jut forced to buy both at once and LIKE both... But if you like them it's competitively priced FX.

Erebia, sloppychops and Cheap Trills like this.
  6. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love my Flint! Two of my 3 amps are tweeds so neither have reverb or vibrato or tremolo so the Flint kills two birds with one stone. The tremolo is not as musical as the tremolo on my 1962 Princeton but after a few minutes with it, it sounds really good to my ear. When I gig with it, as I did both Friday and Saturday nights, I always get very nice comments about my " tone " and guys always seem surprised when they see I only have two pedals....one is my Mythical Overdrive Vintage Spec and the other is my Flint. Sometimes I also take my El Capistan. That's all I use. It's all I need. I'm more of a tremolo guy than a reverb guy, and I'm not a surfer guy so the reverbs all work for me. So aside from the way it sounds, as has been mentioned, it performs perfectly each and every time I've used it and the build quality is second to none, built like a tank. Yes I guess it's a bit spendy, but if great sound and reliability is what you want in one pedal, I would highly recommend the Flint. ymmv....

RJ

7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

It's more expensive than the Fender Tre-Verb, which is a much newer pedal which seems to do very well in comparisons. The Fender doesn't have the ridiculous boutique resale value as well, so realistically you can get a lightly used Tre-Verb for $100 less.

The new Keeley Hydra is also quite a bit less money, and takes up less space on your pedal board. It has more functionality than the Flint.

Personally I had a Tre-Verb and recently got rid of it. It definitely sounded good and very accurate to the old Fender amps but for me the question is do I really want a faithful recreation of an old Fender Amps Tremolo & Reverb? Or do I want something that sounds different? If I wanted the sound of the built in spring tank & tube tremolo on a Fender amp I would buy the Fender amp.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  8. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Scratch that itch.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  9. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'll pass. In general I'm not into expensive high-end stompboxes that offer a bunch of subtly different versions of the same effect. I don't know what the differences are between 60s, 70s, and 80s reverb, so I don't know why I need a pedal that does all of them. Never mind 61 harmonic, 63 tube, and 65 photo tremolo. Maybe if I were more of a studio guy? Because I'm fairly certain the audiences I usually play for wouldn't be able to hear any difference.

10. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

Before I found a used Flint for decent money, I had a Fulltone Supa-Trem (old big box then junior) and a MXR reverb. While I liked this combo very much, I find the Flint easier/faster to use (also smaller and less expensive than 2 pedals). It may not be the best trem nor the best reverb out there, but it's enough to sound good. The only thing I could criticise is the 60's reverb, it is not drippy enough !

El Tele Lobo and Cheap Trills like this.
  11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

It’s too big.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It costs more than my first two cars, combined.

13. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't like the reverb very much. The trem side was great, but I could not get the reverb to sit right

It draws more current than most pedals

It's big

Cheap Trills likes this.
  14. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Cheap Trills likes this.
  15. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Do you really need to spend $300 on a pedal? If you want good verb and trem, that $300 will get you halfway to a used Deluxe Reverb amp.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

You can swap the order of reverb and trem on the Flint.

I love mine: it's a Swiss army knife for getting roots tones from a solid-state amp. But bear in mind that there are many other reverbs out there. It won't satisfy every reverb craving you have.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  17. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Sibling rivalry.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  18. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

How does it compare against the Boss 63 reverb pedal?...i use one of those for mainly surf since the untimely unpleasant passing on my poor old reverb tank...(it took a nasty fall.4 floors up...middle of a stairwell...looked like slow mo..results terminal...like a chuck jones cartoon it was...)
    the boss isnt bad...but not in the same category as the real thing...i also have an old digitech digiverb X-series....spring reverb on it is poxy...but the room and hall ok...along with some other oddballs....years ago had a 1966 Vox V807 reverb unit...not unlike the fender ones in size...but very different had delay echo and verb...great toy once you sussed it out
    with the boss into my twin i augment the boss unit with amp verb and vibrato....does the job...the amp verb covers up the artifacts to a good degree.
    the boss however is very bright,...i found i can tame that a bit via a long lead to my amp from it...not an ideal solution but it does tame the brittleness a bit .
    also my jazzmaster makes it distort if i open the vol and tone up a bit too much...easy to do when your flying and the crowd is dancing..Jim Cairns (Burns Guitars pickup man he was.) made them for me..these pickups are the best ive heard...but are very powerful)
    Any thoughts before i spend...or waste my money..
    tried a danelctro spring king...could have modded it,,..didnt..sold it...not what i wanted...not wet enough and no drip...(big fat drippy reverb...sonic treacle...yum)...now if i want the crash i kick my amp at appropriate times...probably not too healthy for it
    Please help this poor old reverb addict...i even run verb into verb into amp...interesting sounds..
    is this pedal worth it?...or should i not bother
    BTW..i run amp hot and build my sound up on the controls on guitar...not down like some..
    always plenty in reserve that way

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Cheap Trills likes this.
  19. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

absolutely , but we don't have an available appointment until February 23 2021.
    WE WILL SEND YOU ALL THE INFORMATION NEEDED TO ASSIST YOU, TO DEAL WITH YOUR OBSESSION/ADDICTION
    please fill out the survey in black pen , completely and bring it with you to the drop in clinic for pedal mania.
    Thank You for choosing Lose/Lose solutions
    lucie charlie veral abuse 2.jpg

Cheap Trills likes this.
  20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

UNFORTUNATELY: you have reached the wrong department ,which department did you wish to speak to?
    KRAY OFFICE PUP iNEZ SM.jpg

Cheap Trills likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.