1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tell me something about my tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by scotbot, Jul 17, 2008.

1. scotbot

scotbot TDPRI Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mark Knopfler's tech went over this guitar last week, and he was certain that it is all original.

I've done a bit of research, and I know that its a Micawber model, but yeah, that's about it.

2. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

Nice. What is it you want to know?

3. scotbot

scotbot TDPRI Member

well, i know the one Keith Richards uses is a modded 52 (with a Gibson PAF in the neck). i know that the body and the neck are from 73, the bridge style matches with the era, as do the tuners.

someone on another board claims that the neck pickup can't be original, but then another place said that fender released the Micawber for a short stint.

any additional info would be awesome, espeically how much its worth, roughly. haha.

scott.

4. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

I don't think that the neck pickup is original. In the '70s a Tele with an original humbucking pu in the rhythm slot would have been a Custom Telecaster, like the black one Keef uses in this clip:

But I wouldn't worry about it any. That looks like a nice guitar.

5. scotbot

scotbot TDPRI Member

oh, i'm not worried. haha.

this guitar plays and sounds incredible. i don't think its going anywhere for a while.

6. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I also don't thing the neck pickup is original. Some better pictures would help. I don't see "Fender" on the pickup cover.

You might want to rethink that. It doesn't look like the Micawber.

7. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

In the 70's the Fender Wide Range humbuckers like in your neck slot were widely available from Fender and lots of music stores sold them. Yours looks like a regular 70's tele that someone added the WR humbucker as an aftermaket item. It definitly did not come from the Fender factory that way. Nice guitar, BTW. I have a 75 Custom with a WR in the neck, and those humbuckers sound fasntastic. Regarding the Fender logo on the WR cover, on the originals the logo is much more lightly etched than on the reissues and is harder to see when the plating is worn or scratched up.

8. Jack Wells

If I enlarge the photo and play with the brightness, contrast, saturation, and gamma correction and use a whole lot of imagination I can almost imagine seeing "Fender".

9. scotbot

scotbot TDPRI Member

why? because it has all 6 strings? :lol:

i'll get some better pictures up tonight.

10. Jack Wells

Wrong bridge .........wrong pickguard..........wrong neck pickup.......... wrong decal and the Micawber has the neck pickup mounted in a humbucker ring.

Here's a Micawber replica from Fender Japan.

......[​IMG]

.......... and here's the real thing.

......[​IMG]
    ......[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  11. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

its a good look'r!

Unless Fender did some prototypes or an export model, that thar is a mod.
    Sir Knopfler (well, he oughta be knighted) may be a player extraordinaire, but this tech guy might need his credentials checked.

fwiw, it looks like a really nice axe, and original Seth Lover WR pups are becoming the new 'PAF' craze. They sell for hundreds on da'Bay. I've played on a few of 'em, and I'd substitute NO OTHER! They're one of the best HB pups, ever (imho).
    I've never tried a Reissue pup, so I can't say anything about that.

Cheers!

12. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

i git it! :D

(McCawber's a 5)

13. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

14. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

It also appears to NOT have the bass side notch at the neck, indicating a body made from 72 to 82 or so. The real Micawber, being from the 50's, had the notch. All the MIJ reissues of any of Keef's guitars that I have ever seen have the notch. In fact, all the Fender reissues I have ever seen of any model have the notch, even if it is a reissue of a model that to be period correct should not have had the notch, like a 70's Custom or 70's Deluxe or Type II Thinline. Sorry if that was a bit confusing.

15. ajgus

ajgus Friend of Leo's

I think I can make out the "Fender" on the pup as well as see the "registered" symbol.

16. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

I agree with what's already been said... Looks like a 70's telecaster that's had a WR Humbucker added later... Highly unlikely it came from Fender like that...

Micawber is the name Keef gave his guitar. Fender certainly didn't produce a Micawber model in the 70's. There are plenty of Japanese made ones though they are much more recent...

Nice looking guitar you have there though. Can I ask how much you paid for it?

Cheers!

17. Southern Ill

Southern Ill Banned

Its one of the sweetest teles I have seen in awhile....Nice git'.....I'd take it and play the crap out of it.

18. three barrel

three barrel Tele-Meister

Hope you don't mind a quick side-note. On Keith Richards guitar, the humbucker is mounted with the pole pieces toward the bridge. What does that do? Brighten it up some? I am thinking of making a tele body with a humbucker neck route. Thanks.

19. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

Quick thought. Have you taken off the pickguard to see if the neck pickup routing looks like it was done factory or not? I know in general that Fender did not make a model like this, but is it possible that someone talked to the right person at Fender and had this guitar special ordered, or maybe a Fender employee did it or had it done, but still factory. If this is possible, then that would make it very rare, and probably worth a whole heck of a lot of money. Otherwise, it's a very nice moded '73 tele that is still a great guitar. Either way, nice guitar man!

20. Jack Wells

Yep ............. removing the pickguard should tell if the humbucker routing was done by Fender.

Perhaps Knopfler-tech isn't that familiar with Telecaster history. He may have just done a set-up and didn't look 'under the hood'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.