Tell me some amps that I can buy for $500...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Chick-N-Picker, Apr 19, 2021.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Many of these amps should fit.

But really, look for an amp that works as a pedal platform. It plays clean (like you might do with a PA at a gig) and takes pedals well.

Get a Joyo American Sound pedal. Here it's played into a clean amp. You can also use this pedal to 'go direct' to a PA/recording without any amp at all.

2. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

My original budget was $700 for a guitar and $700 for an amp (not the $1400 stimulus haha just a coincidence). But I can not find the guitar I want for under $800...or even $850, even though a year ago I could have easily. So because of this I've had to adjust my amp budget because I guess I will have to pay more for a guitar. It is what it is, I suppose.

3. Chick-N-Picker

Why don't they move if it sounds close to one? At the worst needing a speaker swap. Is there a reason or is it simply just because they are not well known and a great secret? I'm asking because I really don't know, not being sarcastic. Just curious. :)

4. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

It's funny to me to say "i dont know anything about amps but i want one with tubes". That's like saying "reccomend me a car that is gasoline powered. I think i like chevies".

There are many different types of choices of chevies with gas engines. Some i like some I hate.

There are many amps with tubes that are like fenders.

You think you are being specific but you're not. You could easily end up with a crappy sounding amp. But it will have tubes and might even be a fender.

You need to spend some time playing a few amps. I know it hard in covid times. Dont be helpless or lazy. Or you'll end up with a Chevy Vega.

5. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

Pro Jr or Musicmaster Bass. Can't go wrong! XD

Greggorios and Chick-N-Picker like this.
  6. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

I second spending $30 on the Joyo. Ran it with a monoprice 15 watt and it was amazing.

7. Chick-N-Picker

I take your point but I think your point may have went a bit hyperbolic. I may not know a lot about amps, like some do, but I am not completely ignorant. Also I've had a tube amp before, a fender music master bass amp. Played it through an electric once before selling and it sounded good. Too bad I didn't have an electric at the time to really play it myself. I seen it was already a suggestion as an alternate to the lesser known fender amps. Figured it might be.

Plus, virtually every tone I've loved and what I gravitate towards are tube amps, when I figure out what they are. It's typically fenders but not always of course. And yes, I have heard solid states sound fine but it's almost always a fender or great clean amp being used on the stuff I love from country all the way to rock. So it only makes sense I would look for one, or an alternative that is as close as possible.

But yeah, I need to learn more about amps so your point is not completely lost. :)

Marc Morfei likes this.
  8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I love my Hot Rod DeVille and those or the smaller Hot Rod Deluxes can be found for decent prices.

I wouldn't say mine nails the Fender clean tone well. It's a little muddy. That likely has more to do how I'm using it & for me that's ok.

Other amps I have are.

75 Twin Reverb
    79 Lab Series L5
    90's Red Knob "The Twin"
    90's Johnson Millenium

Those are the amps I have, the Hot Rod is the one I use.

The Hot Rod takes the Pedals the best (for me) & is cleaned up real nice with Shiftline Twin pre-amp. I like the warmer tones so I'm running the 4-10s in the DeVille as well as a 2-12 with Vintage 30's. I suspect a 2-12 DeVille or the 1-12 Deluxe would be less muddy.

I would still be using the Johnson Milennium if I didn't know it could die at any moment. For that reason I won't suggest getting one. It would be like adopting an old dog where you just have enough time to fall in love.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  9. Chick-N-Picker

Oddball question. How would a 68 Reissue Deluxe Reverb be in comparison to a Vox AC15?

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Two amps I had for a year or so that how do I say this,

That literally 'never warmed-up to me!' ( I said it that way as I'm warm- the amps were not!), were a Carvin Bel Air and later, a Peavey Classic 30

* I saw those dang Carvin amps ( 'all tube!, buy direct $399!') in every issue of Guitar Player magazine for 10 years ( I had a subscription) and me just lusting for a Bel Air

Finally in the mid '90's after I was gigging regularly with a '67 Pro Reverb and also, had a few $$, I ordered the Carvin as a backup to the Fender ( back when I always carried 2 amps- no more of that!)

Just a total disappointment:

Maybe it was the speakers, but, that amp had an upper midrange spikey overtone, that I could just not dial out- Just not pleasant or warm.

The 'Soak' channel was a fizzy mess- just buried in a mix.

I did sell it to a local shop, after a year, for $350

The Peavey Classic 30, years later ( I got it when I had a '68 Deluxe Reverb that was sick) had rattle-y EL-84's, and a similar annoying upper midrange 'ring' on the Clean channel.

I traded it in then, towards a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, which had a much nicer Clean channel and fantastic reverb.

** The stock speakers may have been the issues with these two amps, I just not think about that then.

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

You shouldn’t have any trouble finding a used recent model Hot Rod Deluxe for $500. They practically fall out of the trees around here.

bendercaster and Marc Morfei like this.
  12. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

A.) it’s not a Fender or Marshall
    B.) it’s big and kind of ugly
    C.) they’re not going to be a collector item anytime soon

If you can’t find the sound you want on the clean channel then move along. I, personally, have been able to dial one in easily for a scooped Fender tone, but like I said it was never dead on the same because the speaker difference.

I like v30s, so that has some relevance.

Good news is unless you’re extremely shy, you’ll be able to plug in and mess with it. Which you’ll want to do no matter the amp.

13. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Agreed. My Gemini II (15" speaker) will get in the ballpark if you crank the bass and treble, but only in the ballpark.

14. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

There is an owners club on the board who would likely have some good feedback for you too. Maybe even settings to dial in when you get there.

15. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

Good question. I had a Carvin Les Paul-like guitar for years. It was great. Solid maple body; 24 fret ebony neck, great pickups and tone options . .. (& when I sold it, even though I wound up selling it to some dude in Guam cuz ebay, I wound up connecting with the dude who'd sold it to the shop i bought it from back in the 80s, & learned why it looked like it had been thrown off the back of a pickup. Because it had. He arrived at his band's practice-space (a family barn, essentially) to discover some dudes in the process of picking the equipment clean, in their getaway the guitar (maybe in case) flew out the back of their truck. A couple tuning pegs got scratched. BUT THE HEADSTOCK DIDN'T BREAK. Guy said after that, it didn't quite feel right to him since he'd seen it come flying.

Anyway, Carvin's essentially customer-direct business model didn't earn them much love in the biz, but their stuff seems solid.

16. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Agreed. Weren't they the top selling new amp for some years in a row?

It's a pain for an individual to sell used amps that are in the 40+lb range on Reverb and eBay. Without the discounted shipping rates that big retailers get, we'd have to charge so much to cover shipping that prices start creeping too close to what you could get it for new (with free shipping) from major retailers.

So...I bet there are plenty of those amps sitting in homes and studios near you not being used. A "want to buy" ad in your local Craigslist or FaceBook marketplace may bring a bunch of these to your inbox.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  17. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. Carvin amps punch will above their weight.

18. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

19. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I’d get a $1000 amp and a $400 Classic Vibe.

chucker and VintageSG like this.
  20. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

New Vox AC10c1's are at or under $500. Well worth trying one out if you can, in your search.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.