1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tell me more about my 89 MIJ.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Peltogyne, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

Hi, this was inherited from an old friend who gigged it many nights a week around the Los Angeles area.

What's obvious is it's a 1989 made in Japan neck dated 2-23-89. I can't find a serial number anywhere which is odd. TLC-62B stamped in the pocket I assume means 1962 Bound. The body looks like basswood and the total weight is 6 pounds 14.4 ounces, rather light. I know my friend bought it used so it's history is unknown, I remember him having it since the late '90s I think.

The bridge is not stock and the pickups are an obvious change.

I'm curious as to which bridge it originally had and if anything else looks out of place. And of course what they go for these days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Peltogyne

More pics :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

my first Tele was an 88-89 MIJ - I'd say an extra string tree might been added (you could check that by Google imaging the guitar) , and from memory the knobs look larger and rounder than stock, but I'm not sure...either way, with those new pups, you have a fine guitar - add a black pick guard and the ladies won't leave you alone.

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Yep, I think those are after-market knobs.

5. Peltogyne

Funny how the knobs are jumping out :)

I did some searching based on the model number and not the year and found a few pics, all with squarer knobs. But many of those have been modded. I saw a catalog with a 1989 TL-62B But not a TLC-62B. I wonder what the C means?

6. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

I have one of these from the same year. The reason there is no serial number is because it was stamped on the original "ashtray" bridge, it would have been prefixed with an A.

7. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Custom. For fender custom telecaster, and not to be confused with fender telecaster custom.
    I think it's an old code for a bound body. Maybe this was some sort of Japanese reissue. The routes original, or somebody do their own middle pickup later in life?

8. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

New knobs may indicate that the pots have been changed. I tried to switch knobs on mine once and the shafts on the pots wouldn't accommodate them, so if your friend switched the pots, he would have had to replace the knobs as well. I've had mine (an '88) for nearly 25 years, and have had to do very little in the way of maintenance. I had to replace the switch (it failed, apparently common) and the nut (when a piece chipped off) and that's been about it. Very good, solid guitars if the neck profile is your cup of tea. Through many, many gigs I don't remember mine ever doing me wrong.

9. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Here's my '85. All stock as far as I know (i bought it used in 88 or 89).

Your knobs are definitely wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

mr superbad - that is a lovely guitar.

black pick guard on sunburst is just a knockout...especially w the rosewood neck, but just as good on a maple

11. Peltogyne

Thanks for the C info or guess :) After posting this I kind of figured out more what I have (I'm a bass player mostly) and even found an owners club for 62 reissues where I've learned a lot.

My friend was the one who added the middle pickup, actually it was probably me who did it as I did most of his work but I just don't remember as there have been so many Teles in front of me over the years.

12. Peltogyne

I think most of the wiring has been changed a few times. I remember this having all Seymour's and it still has a Hot Stack bridge, for a while it had a Kinman set but I think those are long gone. Now it's basically a Strat with a hot bridge.

13. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

it has a black strat switch tip for some unholy reason

everthing else has been covered

14. Peltogyne

Here's my friend Gary playing this guitar a few months before his death. He was weak but still gigging.

15. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Bridge plate replaced ? can't see any serial

16. Peltogyne

Yeah, it's a funny looking brass color with mis matched saddles. All carefully chosen for their tone of course :D I've learned that's why I don't have a serial number.

I think I'm down to wood, paint, tuners and maybe a few small bits that are original.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.