Tell me I don't need a 2nd Princeton!

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I owned one of each and wound up selling the 1X12. I didn't like the tone, too much low end and too woodeny sounding. The guy that bought it played about 3 notes and said "I'll take it" so to each his own.
Also explained, When you place /jam a 12 inch speaker into a cab voiced for a 10 inch speaker, it is something else, not a Princeton.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've got three amps that I mix and match for stereo. My 68 custom PRRI, a custom built 18w amp that's voiced for marshall-ish tone, and a 4w Rickenbacker M-8 (basically a tweed champ.) Either of the latter combined with the Princeton for cleans is a match made in heaven.

Sounds nice!
Whatever the pairing, I want at least one to be a mid forward amp like the 68, the 18w or the Tweed Champ circuit.
One cleaner and one more dirty is good too.
The 68 custom makes sense as a second amp if the OP has a regular DRRI but there's a lot of amps out there to choose from too.
I would never choose two mid scooped amps for stereo.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Or sell the existing one and spend the $1500 on a good non-reverb vintage model.
The CS model goes for $2100; I've seen good condition originals (brown ones or blackface tuxedo models) go for not much more. A tuxedo 6G2 Princeton is the coolest amp I ever played through.

telepraise

Tele-Afflicted
The bordeaux and wheat is the prettiest of the new flavors in the reissue line IMO (I have a DRRI in it). That amp likely is stock with a Jensen P12Q in it which you'll want to change.

I agree you have to be careful with 12" speaker choices in a small Princeton cab, stick with something tight in the bass. I ended up with a Celestion cream alnico in mine and the sound is absolutely huge and gorgeous.

The Ballzz

Friend of Leo's
einstein_on_guitars.jpg

Substitute the word "amps" for "guitars" and the equation is equally valid! :eek: :p
Just Equatin'
Gene

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't know. What on earth are you going to do with it?
When you are playing the second one you won't be playing the first one. To me it seems silly and extravagant, like having two corvettes in the garage. I do have two teles, though!

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Someone gotta talk me down off this ledge lol..... Got a brand new PRRI earlier this month and love it! Browsing around on FB marketplace this morning and I seen one of the 1x12 Bordeaux versions about an hour away from me, asking 775.00..... Anyone out there own one of each? Anyone out there think of a reason NOT to own one of each? lol

(1) Do you gig?

(2) If so, are there gigs where your Princeton isn't enough?

(3) If so, then a second Princeton makes sense, you could bring two amps to the gigs where one isn't enough. This can also apply to a third and fourth Princeton...

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Someone gotta talk me down off this ledge lol..... Got a brand new PRRI earlier this month and love it! Browsing around on FB marketplace this morning and I seen one of the 1x12 Bordeaux versions about an hour away from me, asking 775.00..... Anyone out there own one of each? Anyone out there think of a reason NOT to own one of each? lol
Naah, can't do it. Too many good flavors a Princeton out there.
https://www.fender.com/en-US/search?q=princeton&lang=en_US

Drew617

Tele-Holic
I love a good Princeton Reverb. IME the right 12" in a Princeton can be nice, but IME that's a weird combination of 1.) losing the Princeton charm, some of which is an American 10" speaker in proportion to its cabinet and 2.) on the other hand, it's still very much a Princeton and not that much different.

Very much IMHO, "the right 12" is a C12Q or equivalent. The Princeton's tonality and loose low end make it kind of critical to pick a speaker/cab that'll control boom. C12Qs and equivalents are susceptible to that so you have to watch EQ, but sparkle correctly in that amp like few others do. But so does a C10R/Q or a 10F125, and they're easier speakers to control in that amp.

Unless I needed to run two of the same thing in stereo, I'd spend my money on a second amplifier that's appreciably different. Or a $50 C12Q and a 1x12" cab. I like the BF reissues just fine but wouldn't expect them to appreciate or suddenly become hard to get later on.

OldPup

Tele-Holic
@drri, you got that PRRI at 20% off, right? If you can sell it for as much as the Bordeaux, there’s the 12-inch PRRI you wanted. Cost-wise it’s a wash.