Tell me I don't need a 2nd Princeton!

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
'Road-worn' Squiers? Custom Shop 'relics'? Infinite interbred 'reissues' and FSRs?

Say what you want about 10" v. 12" (it's a fun question), Fender's marketing department is really good at their job, selling us stuff.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
No! Why would any reasonable person tell you that?
2 is literally twice as good as 1.
No arguments from me...I have an old 70's Silverface Princeton (no reverb) that I've had for close to 30 years, and last year I ordered a used solid state Princeton Chorus to complement it with some additional clean volume. They sent me a PRRI on accident, and I didn't exercise the generous return policy. I figure if I ever need a bigger amp, I can trade up and still be ahead of the game from a monetary/value perspective.

For now, they sound great together, especially with the spring reverb and tube bias vary tremolo running in the PRRI. I have a 12" crammed into the Silverface and an efficient 10" in the PRRI. Great sounding rig.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I bought the tweed PRPI with 12" cannabis Rex. I love it. I also have seen people selling the Bordeaux or the regular one with 10" Jenson. I'm tempted too but I think my next amp would be a Vibrolux or a Twin. I was originally looking at them but I wanted a small amp that is easy to lug around hence the Princeton.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have 2 two Tweed Deluxes, 2 Teles, 2 strats, 2 PRS, 3 Gibsons.

If it sounds good, buy it.

Oddly enough, I have built and sold lot of Princeton reverbs (and other amps), but my custom 50 watt BF Bassman combo is the only amp I really play. On the other hand, I have eight Teles and one Strat that I rotate through.

drri

Tele-Meister
I decided not to get the amp…. Going to talk to mojotone and see about a baffle but I kinda think like if I buy another amp soon it would be a vibrolux or Vibroverb (my dumbass sold one)

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have three 18w and one 50w Marshall and used to have as many as 8-10 Marshall 50 and 100w heads.
Two?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
'Road-worn' Squiers? Custom Shop 'relics'? Infinite interbred 'reissues' and FSRs?

Say what you want about 10" v. 12" (it's a fun question), Fender's marketing department is really good at their job, selling us stuff.

Just because they're hustlers doesn't mean one little 12w amp is enough!

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
I've definitely been in the market for a second PRRI. Especially if you get a 68 custom AND a 65. Those are distinct enough to be worth it.

Plus, Princeton's in stereo with effects like chorus and panned trem is to die for.

SneakyPup

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I already owned a 70s silverface princeton but I also bought a Princeton denim FSR this year because of interest in the 12" speaker. To tell you the truth, I prefer the older one with the 10" speaker. I mean this FSR version sounds just fine but it didn't open any new doors. That's a fair price for it. Or put the money toward a deluxe reverb and have a better spread of amps?

princeton.jpg

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Heh, no, but if they can hustle you to pay $750 for a speaker swap and some 'Bordeaux' Tolex, they’re really *good* hustlers…

Yeah I think Fender giving the same amp sort of different names based on finish color is dumb, but they have a marketing department and I personally benefit from guys and gals buying the same thing over and over to keep the used market happening.

What I find more odd than Fender, is US calling one "a Tweed Princeton" and another "A Bordeaux".
WE all know it's the same amp no matter what color, right?
Personally, if I love an amp I want at least two of them.
So a second Princeton would make sense to me except that I could never understand the attraction to them, they do nothing for me.
An improvement to ME though if there was no other option, would be a second one since they struggle with amplifying the bottom strings and I want to hear a grand piano from the low E.

Putting a C Rex in a Princeton OTOH seems like a way to neuter an already kind of struggling little amp, if it has a hard time with bass and you take away the cutting upper frequencies, good heavens that seems tragic!

Of course I can't argue with the fact that they seem to record great in studio and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the size.
My two Fender Princeton's are 1) Brown and 2) gutted and rebuilt as a 2x6L6 amp.
Fender could do so much with the cab/ chassis/ accepted platform.
Instead they keep making a new model by changing the covering or speaker?

Seems like FMIC hires marketing people for their R&D dept and just really lacks imagination and innovation?
And yet they are not on the edge of bankruptcy!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've definitely been in the market for a second PRRI. Especially if you get a 68 custom AND a 65. Those are distinct enough to be worth it.

Plus, Princeton's in stereo with effects like chorus and panned trem is to die for.

Pro Jr's in stereo with stereo effects are also to die for, maybe even better.
I used to prefer two slightly different amps for stereo.
Two little amps combined for the required wattage, stereo, spread out the sound, different circuits that complement, just a win win win.

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
Pro Jr's in stereo with stereo effects are also to die for, maybe even better.
I used to prefer two slightly different amps for stereo.
Two little amps combined for the required wattage, stereo, spread out the sound, different circuits that complement, just a win win win.

I've got three amps that I mix and match for stereo. My 68 custom PRRI, a custom built 18w amp that's voiced for marshall-ish tone, and a 4w Rickenbacker M-8 (basically a tweed champ.) Either of the latter combined with the Princeton for cleans is a match made in heaven.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Someone gotta talk me down off this ledge lol..... Got a brand new PRRI earlier this month and love it! Browsing around on FB marketplace this morning and I seen one of the 1x12 Bordeaux versions about an hour away from me, asking 775.00..... Anyone out there own one of each? Anyone out there think of a reason NOT to own one of each? lol
Tell me I don't need a 2nd Princeton!...ok ya don't need a 2nd princeton..one is enough