Tell me again why you hate the Eagles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 20, 2019.

1. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

As some band I'm having trouble remembering once wrote/sang, "I don't know why fortune smiles on some, And lets the rest go free". Oh yeah, those guys...

2. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

When Crosby first came up, there was a lot of idealism about the world in general in that generation and in music in particular. Which all kind of crested with Woodstock in '69 and then came crashing down with Altamont, also in '69. And then the transition to a strictly business proposition sped up. Just in time to catch the Eagles.

The Eagles couldn't possibly have "sold out", they'd never bought in. They were in it for the fame and money right from the start - they never made any bones about that, at least Frey and Henley. I think guys like Leadon and Meisner were in it more for the music and left when the focus and pressure got too much on selling massive numbers of records. But that was always what Frey and Henley were there for and, to their credit - they were pretty much right up front about it. Some guys didn't want to be in a band like that, others were happy to be hired hands in that arrangement. And at least one, Felder, got caught in the middle - he wanted to be in a band of equals and was when they asked him to join the band, but then after Meisner and Leadon left Frey and Henley brought in Walsh and Schmidt as employees. Felder was left in no man's land as a full partner, but where the only other two remaining full partners had the knives out for him - he had a third of the votes which is worth bupkis when the other two thirds want you gone. He got rich and famous, he also got screwed. Chit happens but nobody's under any obligation NOT to take his side, or the other side, in their opinions on that. That was ONE of the things that put me off of liking those guys, to the extent I still did at all.

I still like and respect Henley's songwriting and singing a LOT but I forgot to shed a tear when Frey died young. Without any firsthand knowledge I still found that guy immensely unlikeable.

-Ray

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry, but I Like the Eagles.

Maybe they are as flawed as the rest of us as individual human beings but, I still like them.

4. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

I'm a fan. Catchy pop tunes, some solid guitar playing, some great vocal work...and those harmonies.

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I respect their level of craft, but none of their music moves me or sounds anchored in individual experience.

They sound like a polished reproduction of the real thing.

Except for Joe Walsh.

6. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I don't hate the Eagles

7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

As with all things in history and in our youth we gravitate to what has meaning and associated memories for the time , it does not make a band any less valid because I am not partial to their style or genre. The Eagles occupied a niche that obviously was quite popular to alot of people same with CCR , but was one I did not connect too or was a part of . its not the individual bands I didnot like it was the whole genre I dont relate to, I never had roots in it.

but I do feel they occupied a valuable niche in historyfor the time

Toto'sDad and dlew919 like this.
  8. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister

dlew919 likes this.
  9. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

By the time I got into music in 86 I basically knew the members Walsh, Frey and Henley by their solo careers and didn't know anything about the Eagles. So by the time I discovered "The Eagles" they didn't have an impact on me versus maybe someone who had grown up with them.

I don't dislike them but if Joe Walsh had never been a member I would've had no reason to give them another thought.

dazzaman likes this.
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I too liked the Eagles up thru Hotel California. I didn't hate them after that, just didn't need to hear their radio-tired songs anymore.

11. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I love the Eagles, but I think Joe Walsh turned them from a great county-rock band to a mediocre rock band. AFAIC, he ain't much of a guitar player.

smartsoul72 likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was sick of them, long long before The Big Lebowski.

The Eagles are the musical equivalent of several precious elephants (Leadon, Walsh, Schmidt) being slain so some rich son of a gun in a very large Asian country can have huge tusks on display or something. Criminal Underutilization of Musical Talent is the felony here.

The cold truth is, I would feel this way even if I was the only person on the planet. You've seen my posts - you know I'm not afraid of being the Only Voice when it comes to this or that. Intuitively, I should like them since posers don't, but there you have it.

I think it goes back to a couple of promising bands I was in on, early in development, and then some drunk wife or girlfriend wanders in and she wants to convert us into the Next Eagles Cover Band. And within weeks, each project crashed. Should I blame The Eagles? Heck, why not?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Wildcard_35 and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Dickey, you are Officially the TDPRI #1 trouble maker. :^)

Straydogger likes this.
  14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have heard that, and other rumors , before.

No, Texicaster , you're not alone in that opinion.

Toto'sDad and Texicaster like this.
  15. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I don't hate them.
    They've been overplayed to death, but it's because their stuff is good. Some of it is beyond iconic.

Hotel California is the same effect x 100. It really is a great song... until you've heard it half a billion times.

MilwMark, Toto'sDad and Straydogger like this.
  16. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

I always thought they were the "corporate" version of The Band. I play Take it Easy occasionally for other peoples entertainment. I don't mind, but the Eagles are not on rotation on any of my play lists. I also don't see them having anything to do with Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan, ... completely different universes.

Toto'sDad and Lawdawg like this.
  17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I don't hate them, I just don't like their music. There is something out there for everyone, and for me they ain't it.

18. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

I think the Over-Saturation comment rings true for a lot of bands/music.

When I was in college, the girls down the hall from me had a cassette tape of Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits.

I can say, without hesitation, that the minute, and I am talking the first second I hear ANY song from that album, I would rather send the razor blade from wrist to elbow than listen to any of those songs.

I distinctly remember True Fine Love, as the song that broke my spine.

That being said, I have no real disdain for the Eagles, and that acoustic Hotel California from their reunion tour ranks in the top 20 all-time live performances for me.

~syf

Toto'sDad and dlew919 like this.
  19. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

D
    Definitely Steely Dan has great lyrics and complex arrangements; I am actually a huge Steely Dan fan. But for some reason, at the time, I felt the need to make this analogy haha.

Lawdawg likes this.
  20. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

Thanks for mentioning James Gang. a very good group, but their body of work could/should
    have been much, much more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.