Tell me again why you hate the Eagles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I like the Eagles. They were a big part of my musical childhood (my older brother being a huge fan).

I am done listening to their greatest hits.

I hit saturation about 15 years ago. I’ll listen to the odd deep track or lesser-played “hit” when the mood strikes me, but overall, I’m done with their classic rock radio selections.

Note: I love Joe Walsh’s music; I’ve seen him several times (both when he was sober and when he wasn’t) and he always puts on a killer show.

I like Henley’s music, but I’ve never really had any interaction (direct or indirect) or watched a bunch of interviews with him, so I can’t comment on whether he’s a jerk or not.

Although I like some of his songs, I immensely dislike Glenn Frey as an individual (I met him at his Rickenbacker Signature Guitar launch—bet you didn’t know he had a signature Ricky!—at the Arlington, Texas Guitar Center back in the early 90’s). If his behavior that day is any indication of his normal interaction with others, I don’t know how the band stayed together as long as they did.

Bruxist, Toto'sDad and Greggorios like this.
  2. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

they're just too vanilla. like fleetwood mac, brian adams or tom petty. they're nice on the ear, and as others have stated they are far too overplayed. if i want country rock i'll take creedence or gram parsons any day.

stevemc, Fendereedo and Obsessed like this.
  3. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

They are kind of like a rootsy Steely Dan. No matter what they do, it never sounds raw; simply too polished.

Rustbucket likes this.
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I like The Eagles.

I was a little kid in the '70's and I remember liking their songs on the radio and being played on the juke box.

When I started playing guitar I learned several of their songs.

Straydogger and bftfender like this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a similar memory...that's what it's all about....Summer, swimming holes and rock n' roll! Don't matter where on earth you're from. That's livin'!

uriah1 and Tonetele like this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I loved the Eagles for many years, but I don't want to hear it anymore since they screwed over Don Felder.

Wildcard_35 and Tonetele like this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

very well put..if you are a serious musician..and play out a lot or do studio sessions..you have to respect that talent..cause..if you were put in the mix..could you hang...if not..i would say....dont put em down..or lets see your personal brilliance on here..clipos...no dont give the TDPRI common response..clips ..prove ya mouth...with actions

8. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

This thread reminds me of how I play CDs in my car. I'll get a CD from my collection and put it in the player, and listen to the album while driving for about 5 times through. Then I get sick of it - put it away and get another. Then I get sick of that one, and...

The Eagles are the same. Great band, great songs, great vocals...but after one or two listenings of their albums, I feel compelled to put them away for a while.

Interestingly, for great artists like the Eagles, I may get sick of their music for a while, but I will eventually come back and play the albums again at some future point when the mood strikes me.

Greggorios likes this.
  9. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

I think David Crosby's statement about the Eagles is a pertinent point to consider for this discussion. It was about them selling out, in his view. At first I was a little put-off by his arrogance, but then really considering his words, I can understand where he was coming from. His quote was about them taking absolutely no risks, originated from a place of admiration, initially, IMO.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Don't hate, but I believe the Radio Stations over played their music back in the day.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Feel the same way about the Doobie Brothers.

Ben-Zion, stevemc and Greggorios like this.
  12. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

+1

13. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

My reasons:

1. The Eagles' entire legacy is on 5 decent albums recorded 40 years ago and have coasted ever since. FM radio embraced them and kept them alive.

2. Their live performances are precise but dull. The very prototype of rock-as-product.

3. The Eagles 'pioneered' the $100+ concert ticket. No nice words for that.

3. They stopped being a band many years ago; they're an enterprise. Henley, Frey and Azoff have always been cynical and litigious, and have proven to be the only people that matter in this enterprise... and even with Frey dead, that doesn't mean the business has to shut down. Noooo.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  14. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Interesting comparison. While both groups are polished, what sets Steely Dan apart to me are the sharp lyrics that give an edge to its slick pop jazz. No similar contrast in the Eagles which is just soft easy-listening country from soup to nuts.

stevemc likes this.
  15. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

In my teen years, I was a big fan. I saw them in 1974, probably just before Bernie Leadon left, and they were outstanding.

As much as I like Joe Walsh, I completely lost interest in their music after he joined the band and they released Hotel California.

Maybe their music changed, maybe I changed, but I still like their old stuff.

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

IMHO Bernie Leadon was their best musician.

Greggorios and beyer160 like this.
  17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Legally, songwriting consists of melody and lyrics- that's it. Even though the song wouldn't exist without Felder (which Henley and Frey freely admit), he's not legally entitled to royalties.

18. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

Not a huge fan but lost interest after Randall Cunningham left the team.

19. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

So beyer160 you think it's morally right? I'm interested in your opinion.

beyer160 likes this.
  20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I could easily ignore them if they would just go away. But they were inescapable for a time, and that's what drives the difference between indifference and hate.

Wildcard_35 and raysachs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.