Tell me again why you hate the Eagles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

We def need to get down to the Henley of the matter.

Omiewise65 likes this.
  2. johnDH

johnDH TDPRI Member

Eagles are a great sound-track for a west -coast road trip, at least for baby-boomers.

And I have indeed stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona, and waited until a flat-bed Ford came by, driven by a girl.

My lord!

3. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like 'em. But oversaturation...

4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

According to the Netflix documentary Randy got stage fright and couldn’t hit thst high note and Frey and Henley fired Randy. I don’t know which version is more correct. I suspect both are true. But of course I don’t know. I think it’s interesting to hear the different versions.

Frey had two verses apparently. And Jackson brown added the last verse. Frey and Browne lived in adjacent apartments. And Frey learned how a professional songwriter worked. Browne would get up turn on the kettle have breakfast and then write songs for two hours. Have a small break and then write for another 2 hours. Have lunch. Etc. that’s how Frey learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Over played. Please please stop making me hear those songs over and over.

But beyond that, slickness and smooveness masquerading as folksy realness. "Yacht rock." Yacht rock about cowboys and drifters. Phony

Ben-Zion, stevemc, Obsessed and 3 others like this.
  6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

um, I like Joe Walsh! :cool:

Luthier Vandros, Rowdyman and dlew919 like this.
  7. mngsp

mngsp Tele-Meister

I think it all starts with over saturation. Hearing them on the radio over and over got old.

The biggest problem in my mind and I know going by record sales, it proves me wrong but I think the solo work of the members is better than the collaborative effort known as The Eagles.

8. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

I love Eagles. (It's my understanding the "the" is not officially part of the name)
    IMO, they are up there with The Beatles, The Who and Led Zeppelin. Just fantastic music

9. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Well... As a baby boomer I grew up listening to the Eagles and loving them. Had the 8-Track and it got loads of play. Also love Three Dog Night, America, the Doobie Brothers, CCR... Don't pay too much attention to the "politics" of the bands - just like the music.

Flash forward to today and I'm loving the Eagles even more. Just picked up a songbook of the Eagles top hits and they're pretty easy to play - which is great because I'm still an amateur when it comes to playing guitar and these tunes are recognizable as songs even with me playing!

10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Sorry , but Tommy Bolin and Jim Fox are not the James Gang. Joe Walsh is the James Gang, even if Jim Fox owns the name. Tommy Bolin isn't Deep Purple either, as much as I like him.

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

If the first time you ever saw a pedal steel was watching the Eagles, then I really feel sorry for you. Maybe you should check out the original and more authentic LA country rock band Poco, led by steel master Rusty Young, the band who had both their bass players stolen by the Eagles.
    And FWIW, steel guitar, and great steel guitar players, existed long before LA country rock music.

Wildcard_35 and Rustbucket like this.
  12. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

That's a Jackson Browne song.
    The Eagles version is a cover.

RetroTeleRod and raysachs like this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I think it was why I didnt like Jackson Brown either. I put them together
    as Calif Hollywoody overplayed beach boys. Not sure why. Probably same reason
    I never liked USC football.

14. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You couldn’t grow up in Arizona in the 70’s without getting waaaaaay too much exposure to the Eagles. They started out as Linda Ronstadt’s backing band - she was a hometown Tucson girl, in my case, a graduate of my high school. So they were there a lot with her. Then when they formed their own band they toured with Linda and Jackson Browne and seemed to be playing Tucson on a triple bill about every few months. That was the early 70’s. Then the Eagles and Linda got REALLY big in the mid and later 70’s. And by then the Eagles became a soap opera, with Bernie and Randy Meisner leaving or getting canned, with Walsh and Felder and Schmidt coming in as hired guns. Frey and Henley were interviewed a lot in those days and came off as people you’d never ever want to have a beer with.

I liked their music in the early days, still sort of do, but I came to not want to hear any more of them after a while. That’s still pretty true today. I always respected Henley, never liked Frey (remember his Miami Vice phase?), liked Walsh more before he was an Eagle, felt sorry for Felder. My taste just went in a totally different direction. I liked Linda more and more over the years, Jackson I always liked a lot, the Eagles I liked less and less until I just didn’t care about them or want to hear them at all.

Hate is too strong a word - you have to care enough to hate them. I didn’t and don’t.

15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Amongst professional musicians, stories of "the label screwed me" and "the business screwed me" are probably the most popular. Well, here's a case of a band where the leaders made a decision to beat the system. I remember the quotes from Don Henley at the end of the '70s where they jacked up the label and demanded good vinyl pressings and refused to put out junk songs because, in their words, the label would put out crap with your name on it.

So, here we see a band where they beat the system, got their royalties, worked hard, and did well. And two of the band were absolute business sharks and became so full of themselves that they were impossible to be around.

A semi-quote from Joe Walsh: The interviewer asks what a day in the life of the Eagles is like? Joe: We're in the studio. Don Henley is mad at something so he's off in a corner writing a song. Glenn hasn't arrive at the studio yet and we aren't sure he even will. The rest of us are waiting. That's a day in the life of the Eagle.

But in the end, I think musicians look at the Eagles and see that all the fame, all the money, all the sex, all the drugs, all the life, and all the great music, didn't give this band an ounce of happiness. And that RUINS the motivation for the average, striving musician.

Bob

And I still like their music. And I still like Joe.

Greggorios and dlew919 like this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you are a music historian it may be a lot you know already.

For me, seeing the early live clips and the spontaneous acoustic clips of a band I was predisposed not to like, and finding that I did, was jarring.

I know it’s an authorized piece but I was surprised how much conflict they showed and how much Frye owned wanting to be in charge.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Greggorios and dlew919 like this.
  17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

24 Track how could you not like CCR? Of course it's your prerogative.
    I cut my teeth playing live, and singing, Fogerty's songs at 14, in front of 2,000 people.
    The girl my bro and I used to walk to school with said: "I didn't know Terry could sing". My response was n
    "Neither did I."
    Also Green River reminds me of a swimming hole where I.....well, you know, cut my teeth in another way.:)
    Skipping school and fun at a very young age. Ah! The memories of an older man.

24 track and Greggorios like this.
  18. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

They were on incredible on TV the other night..sitting down..great musicianship..great voices..whats not to like,,,not even my cup up tea but much respect

19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Funny, I love CCR, even though now I know they were from San Rafael
    and not from Louisiana.

Straydogger likes this.
  20. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

A friend who lived a block over had all the Eagles, Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan. I'd bring over the Doors, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Jimi Hendrix. Listening to early Eagles reminds me of that.

coonhollow greg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.