Tell me again why you hate the Eagles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Glenn Frey has a co-writing credit, though.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Everybody's got their Ex-Lax...mine's Pink Floyd.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ElJay370, william tele and Bruxist like this.
  4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I don't hate them but I reached the saturation point around 30 years ago. So I just tune them out if I can't turn them off

5. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Nights of winter,
    Turn me cold,
    Fears of dying,
    Getting old.

The race was run,
    The race was won,,
    By running slowly,,,

I still like The Eagles ! peace, RM

Telecastoff1 and hrstrat57 like this.
  6. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

This is a very interesting discussion. I've learned far more about Eagles than I ever wanted to.

I don't hate them, I don't much hate anything, it's far too strong an emotion to waste on this kind of thing.
    However, I wouldn't miss them if I never heard them ever again.

Being on the other side of the Atlantic during the '70's heyday of Eagles, etc., I have a very different viewpoint on the whole issue.

As a young man growing up in the early '70's, I often wondered what the heck these American 'rock' bands were about - coz most of them certainly didn't sound like rock bands to me or most of my contemporaries. They sounded like country music with electric guitars, but still occasionally banjos.

Country music was (and possibly still is...) a minority sport in the UK, so we lacked the cultural attachment/familiarity with that style of music. That's not a judgement, just an observation. We were however very attached to another great American musical style, the blues.

I know it won't win me any friends here, but my personal view hasn't changed much over the decades...
    The Dead - country music with electric guitars, but still occasionally banjos.
    Eagles - country music with electric guitars, but still occasionally banjos.
    <enter name of most soft/yacht rock outfits here > - country music with electric guitars, but still occasionally banjos.

I will now retire behind my barricade and await the incoming missiles :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

o_O:twisted::lol:

8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Joe Walsh probably was doing Don Henley a favor. That is shown by his success before and after he was in the Eagles. If Henley is as others described he was jealous of Joe Walsh and could not get him under his control.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe so.

But I think Walsh was on a sort of self destructive bent. If there's one thing I'm rather grateful of, that Henley and Frey and Felder did, and that was to put Joe in a more structured situation so he wouldn't grenade like so many other rockers have. Nobody can ever say for sure but sometimes I think maybe The Eagles working environment, sterile as it was, may have saved Joe's life. Just a feeling I have, that's all.

Toto'sDad, Mike Eskimo and beach bob like this.
  10. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I said earlier that one of my favorite Joe Walsh songs is “Life’s Been Good to Me So Far.” If you listen to the words being put into the structured environment of the Eagles might have kept him from self destructing. I don’t know but if so I am glad. The twenty seven club has enough members.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Yea, all teams need a leader, you just waste too much time without one.
    The two bands I spent most time with, it was usually the person who wrote the songs.
    The band where I wasn't the songwriter I was happy to push the other guys barrow.
    know your place.

MilwMark likes this.
  12. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't hate the Eagles.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. JimB

JimB TDPRI Member

I think it's Henley and Frey's smugness and "I'm better than you" attitudes. I just get the feeling that a lot of people like the band less once they've seen Frey and Henley on TV being interviewed or whatever. I still like 'most' of their music but could never be in the same room with either of them for very long

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Interesting discussion. As I understand it... people would take the stairs in the Apple building if Steve Jobs was around .. they did not want to get cornered in an elevator with him. Visionaries, no matter what you call them and what they are focused on, are different, they are way ahead of other folks and that is weird and unsettling . Take them the way they are and judge them on their results. I would give my little pinky nail for the skills ANY of these guys have / had to mold 12 notes into a song that changes lives plucking on a piece of wood with 6 strings on it.. Day after day.. night after night. But that is just me !

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    VWAmTele, Telecastoff1 and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree with that.

The Eagles were the testicle(s) he had to have removed to save his life.

But - The kind of dough that he’s made since joining them can buy you back a lot of self-respect...o_O

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    boris bubbanov and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I don't hate the Eagles. I love most of their albums & saw them on the, "One of These Nights" tour, in the late 70's. That being said, they were the first band to charge over $100 a ticket when they did their, "final tour", in the 90's and got away with it. Since then, ticket prices for every major act have gone thru the ceiling & the Eagles have done 15 "final tours" since.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I wasn't a big fan of the Eagles in the early to mid-70s. I preferred Ted Nugent, Nazareth, and Cream, not in that order.

In retrospect, I still prefer Cream, and have respect for Nazareth. But the Eagles put out so much great music. Saw them in 79 or 80 on the tour after release of The Long Run.

Saw them again last year. Great show. I will admit I didn't binge on their music for a week or so before or after the concert, as I often do. Because I know those songs. Heard them countless times. Played some of them in bars. That didn't stop me from enjoying the performance.

My girlfriend sometimes calls me a snob because I care a lot about music (and gear) but don't care about all the gossip stuff. I also mostly don't care about a performer's politics.

I care about talent and quality of the music.

And the Eagles have got it. Always have.

I'm certain there's some truth to Henley being a jerk. Or Frey having been a jerk. Or . . .

I know Joe Walsh says they saved his life by getting him to sober up for the reunion in 94.

I know they put out great music, and still sound great performing it.

That's good enough for me.

Telecastoff1 and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lot of folks coming to the Eagles defense. Well, I can’t stand their music and that hit me long before the Dude said anything. Lifeless pop, insipid sound to my ears. Just the way i hear it.

dlew919 and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Good for you, you soar above the clouds and drink the rarified air of the pure in heart!

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

You might have and earwig!:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.