Tell me again why you hate the Eagles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I hope everything came out alright for ya there BB! You don't want to over do it though, anorexia might only be one Eagles song away!

2. Toto'sDad

I didn't say it, but many an Englishman did "you can never trust the French."

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I know guys who play in bands who like to go on tour to get away from a girlfriend who is just getting too serious. And I know guys who tour because things between them and various family members are on the verge of getting away from them and they want to leave before the serious fighting starts. And I know guys who tour to get out of the incredible heat and humidity of the American South and love going to Europe and just anyplace where it isn't quite so oppressive.

And I know people who go on tour because they can't pay their bills any other way. They're not so much trying to be successful as they are trying to keep their youth alive and trying to maintain their Identity as a Pro Musician - they're more trying to Avoid Abject Failure as opposed to the kind of breathtaking success that Henley and Frey (and Felder) achieved.

As for pro Golfers, there's guys actually winning tournaments (any tournament really) and those just trying to make the cut to stay on the tour and IMO there's a lot of distance between the two - more IMO than the gulf between winners of small tournaments versus BIG ones. Getting to continue to compete is a reward but success is a relative term, I think.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

You know who really hates Eagles ?

Osprey

BTW there's no the in the bands name.

Bruxist, MilwMark and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And they should know, as they're the (formerly) French (who made their way to what is now the UK and Ireland) and they know those guys pretty well.

I can get away with saying this because I know just a little about my own family's path from France and etc. As for our leaving France, the only question is, did we jump or were we pushed?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

:lol::lol::lol:

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fielder’s net worth according to the webs is around $60m.

Frye’s at time of death, with a successful solo career and acting career. Reportedly $120m

Henley’s reportedly $200m.

Joe Walsh $75m reportedly.

Does that mean Felders’s woulda been over $100m had he been content to be paid like Joe and remained in the band?

Regardless, if these numbers are in the ballpark, why do folks get so hung up on Felder’s story?

coonhollow greg likes this.
  8. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I've heard them far too much to be interested anymore, but given their position as one of the best-selling bands in history, the assumption of hate is way off. Most people like them, and they certainly know how to play. They built on cliches and have become cllche themselves, but so it goes.

9. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The band gave various personality types numerous reasons to dislike them: they were highly successful and popular, and became very mainstream; listeners often saw groups of people in society they envied, did not like, or did not think was as cool as them fawning on the Eagles and attending their shows; they were overexposed on radio, TV, print media, etc.; and they had personality conflicts and prima donna issues despite making tons of money and quit music despite having a lot of talent and money.

Hootie and the Blowfish were quite popular with college aged people until they became mainstream popular and overexposed, and then the core fans began to hate them because it was not "their" same old band anymore. Hootie did not have the prima donna issues either.

Teleterr and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I wasn't actually, but since you mention it, I think it took him a good while to realize he had the OPTION to be in it for the money. All those years hoofing it on the Jersey Shore before he got a record contract were for the pure redemptive joy of rock 'n effin ROLL and to get away from a mentally ill and emotionally abusive old man. His first couple albums didn't make any money and don't sound like they were intended to (my favorite Bruce stuff BTW), Born To Run did but he barely saw any of it, and THAT's when he went to court and fought for control of his work and took three freakin' years before he put his next album out because of it. At that point, he was MAKING a lot of money and he actually got to keep a lot of it. And from that point forward, he was in a stratosphere of stardom that's gotta affect your perspective and motives in ways I've never had to understand. And yeah, he changed his songwriting persona to reach a larger audience (beyond those with an affection for Jersey Shore lowlifes) in a way that was calculated out of whatever combination of artistic and financial ambition. I think he's been pretty clear that he's gotten good and used to the spoils of stardom and is quite pleased to be rich, but, no, I don't actually think that's what was on his mind at the beginning of his career.

The same thing pretty much happened with Petty, BTW. He wanted to make it and went off to LA to seek fame and fortune, but he also had a couple of great early albums that started to get him noticed but he wasn't seeing any of the proceeds, he went to court to force the issue and then released arguably his masterpiece, Damn the Torpedos, or at least ONE of his masterpieces - I'd say he had a few. The Stones haven't made an album that mattered in nearly 40 years, but they kept touring - I'm sure the money was a big part of that. But THEY sure didn't get into it for the money either - they just wanted to play the blues and were purists about it at the time. And they were sleeping on cold damp London floors and half starving for the privilege. I'm sure they were thinking they'd like to make a better living, but I doubt they were dreaming of the riches that eventually came their way at that point...

Eventually, I guess if you HAVE that kind of money, maintaining that lifestyle and fortune becomes a driving consideration. Which doesn't make sense to me - I think I'd be really thankful to have so much, put it all in good conservative investments, and live comfortably off of it for the rest of my days. But I guess the kind of people who have the drive (whether initially about the money or not) to achieve that level of success just aren't wired to stop and smell too many roses.

-Ray

Teleterr, Rowdyman, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.
  11. meric

meric Tele-Holic

I saw the Eagles in Vancouver in 2013. They played so well it could have been an album playing. Joe Walsh muffed a couple of notes in an intro and smiled sheepishly. I really liked that. The playing and the singing were as good as it gets. The Eagles are legends because of their musicianship and excellent song writing. The rest is politics.........

12. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

Tell me again why you hate the Eagles?

I think what it ultimately comes down to is over saturation.

2 Headed Goat, Teleterr and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

And I guess whether you see that as a positive or a negative is a pretty good predictor of whether you like the Eagles. I like the Dead, a LOT. Hence.....

14. meric

meric Tele-Holic

I understand what you mean raysachs. I went to the concert because a friend had a ticket that become available...so I went. I enjoyed it way more than I thought that I would. I really enjoy the music of the Dead too. Many of the Eagles songs are well crafted with some complexities and wonderful vocal harmonies...I was very happy to hear them effortlessly play their songs the way I thought they should sound. It may not be inspiring in an improvisational, seat of the pants, heat of the moment, on the fly sort of way but they are exceptional players.

15. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

-

16. Toto'sDad

And the entire congregation of the ya'll come back salon said:

AMEN!

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Their first four albums, particularly Desperado and On The Border, never get old for me (especially the songs that never made it to the radio much). From Hotel California on (including their more recent stuff), though, fuggetabout it. It would be easy to say that Joe Walsh "ruined" the band (he joined for HC), but there was much more that contributed to the overall change in their output than just Walsh coming on board.

Rowdyman and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Refer back to making love to a wider woman.

You just can't do it too much.

19. Toto'sDad

Oh noooooo, Frodebro, not youse too!

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like ABBA, too. :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.