Tell me about your WIFI router

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rich_S, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think the old Linksys blue box that I bought about eight years ago is finally going flaky on me. It seems to lock up about once a day, and requires me to unplugged it and then power it back up. There's also a chance that it has reset itself to factory defaults twice in the last week. Once I'm convinced that the resets were not caused by kids (who are not supposed to mess with the router) pressing the reset button, I'm going to have to order a new one.

What's the latest? Not high-dollar, just a typical home WIFI router. External antennas are better, since we have a nice little cabinet that hids the whole cable/broadband/WIFI mess from view. I assume external antennas work better than internal.

What's workin' good in your house?

2. sparkletele123

sparkletele123 Tele-Meister

I have a BT home Hub 4 and i'm going to get an upgrade to the five when it comes out. I used to have a Netgear Router that was good, i think you can buy them in the US.

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'm still running my old "G" Linksys. It has had open source firmware installed which allows it to output at about four times the normal "legal" power level. It is connected to a pair of 9db antennas mounted in the attic. I can get a full strength signal anywhere on my property.

4. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The Wireless-N spec is probably a good bet for you. AC is the latest and greatest, and most expensivest.

Watch that you don't get one that says it was specced for the N-draft. Those were designed before the 802.11n spec was finalized, and they don't fully meet the N spec.

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

The Netgear Nighthawk smart router is pretty nice.
    It's powered by a dual-core processor that runs at 1GHz, which makes it the fastest 802.11ac router from Netgear and among the fastest on the market.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

- basic, came from cable supplier...

7. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

8 years is pretty good. I got 7 from mine. I replaced it with a Netgear router.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

First, consider the fast "ac" standard if you are doing a replacement because new computers and devices are coming out with that standard. This won't be practical for getting something across the Internet to your lap as it will be for something like backing up your system across the wireless connection in your home.

I'm replacing lots of access points these days (network engineer and sys admin are what buy my guitars). Some of my home users have the industrial strength Cisco models, many have the older generation Linksys as the general worked out best items. Many of the newer SoHo and department store models I've placed in past 2-3 years have not been as good as the old blue Linksys.

My impressive big surprise has been the latest generation Apple AirPort Extremes but now you have to have an Apple device to administer them. They have range like I've only seen with my commercial grade units.

Cnet recently had two reviews of the latest as types - one a list of models to get, the other a list of models to not get.

Also look for the newer article on models to not buy:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-networking-devices/

Confession: I used to advise against the Apple models that needed their own client to configure but for $200 they have power like the $400 - $1200 models I buy for commercial use. Their models with built in hard drive (latest generation only) are user serviceable and just drop in a WD green standard drive.

The absolute sweetest are the Cisco powered over Ethernet models but now we're talking about going from Squire and Epiphone prices to custom shop. My use in business is obvious. In homes of some executives I've put all the telco or cable gear out of site and then placed one of the Ciscos hidden behind the TV.

Newer Cisco stuff has a web interface but still requires more than basic knowledge.

So far every site or employee home that's needed a replacement has had an Apple device so I'm getting those. Also, no company is in same league for post-sale support of consumer goods and that makes my users happy.

Oh, the Cisco models I mention are Access Points (wireless bridges). They need a router. For those I use a Cisco ASA 5500 series.

9. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I would love to have more powerfull wifi system, but I just don't understand all the ins and outs. I have a lyncsys wireless N system now.

10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Apple!

11. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

Apple Airport. it is extremely easy to set up. it's a must if you have a lot of devices that connect to WIFI. as an extra, it produces 2 wifi network : one for you and one for your guests. as an extra extra : you can plug an external hard drive to it USB port and access this HD thru WIFI. nice isn't it ?

12. thorton077

thorton077 Tele-Afflicted

I have the apple airport. It's ok. It's better than what I used to have but it's still iffy some days.

13. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I used Belkin routers for years, but the last one I had gave me all sorts of DOS issues with my two Apple TV boxes.

So, after asking around I settled on a Netgear WNDR4500. It has all the features you could want including two USB sockets so I can have a 2TB drive and a printer on my wireless network. I've had this for the past couple of years and it's been perfect. I don't think the one I have is made any longer, but when I need another router I think it'll be a Netgear.

14. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Apple Airport. Works great, any problems tend to originate from my ISP.

15. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

Here is the one I got about 6 months ago. I am very happy with it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122491

I only buy routers that I can install DD-WRT on for much greater control over any stock firmware. The WNDR4300 is very easy to set up with the custom firmware. I also have the WNDR3700 that I bought about 4 years ago when they first came out. Also an excellent choice.

The only reason I bought the new one recently was due to a lightning strike in my backyard. It was so close to the house that the current traveled through the coax cables and smoked the lan port on my router, 2 Directv boxes and an hdmi port on one of my tv's. Even with the lan port blown on the router It still works great as a wifi extender.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm on my second Netgear router, the first one lasted for several years then got flaky. I bought a couple of grades up when I bought the new Netgear stuff and it was easier to install and works very well.

17. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a Cisco/Linksys E3000 that I flashed with the DD-WRT ROM. DD-WRT greatly expanded the router's capabilities. It allows you to overclock the processor and increase the transmitter range of most routers.
    It's better to use an older router first to experiment with DD-WRT. It will void the warranty on a new router if you overwrite the factory ROM.

Get all the info here:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

18. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

Motorola combo Cable modem, gigabit router and wireless. I also have a netgear wifi extension on the other end of the house. Between the two I can get anywhere in the house with a good signal.

19. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

What about just making your phone into a hotspot? Isn't this the "new" thing now-a-days?

20. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Is actually plugging your gear into your modem faster (or equal to) going wireless? My wife's computer has a wi-fi antenna but mine doesn't. I'm plugged in, she's wireless but we both think our machine is faster than the other.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.